Is this possible than turning on oven make a 1 second power outage in home? ( playing diablo 1 )

Associate
Hi.Have an question. It is possible that when turning on oven make a 0,5-1second power outage,without tripping fuse or breaker? I ask because when my mother in kitchen turned on oven,diablo 1 crashed to desktop on my old laptop. Nothing get tripped etc,lights not. So it was coincedence that game crashed in this moment or not?

Laptop not restarted i just saw STEAM icon like always and desktop ,when i back.

Event viewer said that:"A timeout was reached (30000 milliseconds) while waiting for the Steam Client"
"the service did not respond to start or control request timeline fashion "

Also i was on balcony in this time.

ps:
Diablo 1 is from GOG not steam.

Soldato
What makes you think it's a power outage if the laptop/router didn't go off?

I take it you're on mains only power for the laptop and running wifi?

Have you tried to recreate the issue? Load the laptop, load steam and Diablo 1 and once in, turn the oven on. Repeat once more. If it goes off both times it's safe to say it's the oven or related to the process of turning it on.

It could be something blocking the wifi as it's more likely a network outage than a power outage. If the oven does interfere with it I'd try using the laptop on a network cable directly to the router. It could be a power spike as mentioned above is interrupting the wifi signal. this then having knock-on effects with the laptop generating messages and minimising diablo 1

Associate
OP
We tried 4 times turning oven when diablo 1 was running. Nothing happened. Also steam was running fine. But steam is only background. Diablo 1 is standalone not from Steam.

In moment when Diablo 1 crashed to desktop event viewer said:"Event viewer said that:"A timeout was reached (30000 milliseconds) while waiting for the Steam Client"

"the service did not respond to start or control request timeline fashion ""

Diablo 1 is from GOG not steam.Diablo 1 is playing from standalone files.offline

So it can be related to starting oven or it was coincedence?

Like i said it crashed to desktop,laptop was not turned off.

Man of Honour
So how can i be sure that was power spike? Laptop is not on battery. So why laptop not turned off just diablo 1 crashed then ?

Does the laptop have a battery at all? even if it is plugged into mains it should seamlessly run from battery on power supply failure so a spike or brownout "shouldn't" affect a laptop with a functional battery.

It is possible a spike will have knocked out other hardware such as a router or network switch/AP, etc. which might cause a problem for anything relying on network access but usually that is a managed failure not a crash but sometimes unexpected things happen.

Associate
Did it actually crash Diablo ?

Or did it just swap tasks/applications, removing focus from the game and dropping back to the desktop in order to display the error.

Imagine you are full screen gaming, then you hit the windows key, the system will drop out of the game straight to the desktop. So its perfectly possible for the system to do the same thing itself if it thinks it needs to. Perhaps Steam's processes has enough priviledges in order to be able to do that. ( Which is possible, considering that its a systemo which controls the running of games, and so when it errors big time, it should be able to interrupt gameplay )

Back
Top Bottom