Petition to sack Chris Packham from BBC

Caporegime
Indeed, Scottish grouse moors spring to mind.

Was on the moors at weekend.
Got within a few meters of a red grouse to take a pic with dslr.
There is no Sport shooting them. They are sitting ducks obvious easy to kill.

Remember a lot of these people complaining aren't just or even farmers they are land owners who love shooting.

I grew up in farming so see a lot of this on my Facebook.

Corvids are so intelligent. More. So than a dog I think. So they are very able to take advantage of the environment. But they are natural.
Looking after a jackdaw while I had him.. Nothing else like it. Couldn't really call him a pet he was too intelligent. Amazing birds are Corvids. Love them.

Soldato
My cat caught a magpie last year and brought it home alive.

Was quite the negotiation to separate them as the cat had the bird by the back of the neck, but managed it, then locked the cat in a room upstairs. The magpie sat under the coffee table in the living room for a couple of minutes to collect itself then walked out of the front door like a casual visitor. Was only young and I don't think it really understood what was going on until it was being dragged around by the head by the local apex predator.

I like corvids too.

Caporegime
Was on the moors at weekend.
Got within a few meters of a red grouse to take a pic with dslr.
There is no Sport shooting them. They are sitting ducks obvious easy to kill.

Remember a lot of these people complaining aren't just or even farmers they are land owners who love shooting.

I grew up in farming so see a lot of this on my Facebook.

Corvids are so intelligent. More. So than a dog I think. So they are very able to take advantage of the environment. But they are natural.
Looking after a jackdaw while I had him.. Nothing else like it. Couldn't really call him a pet he was too intelligent. Amazing birds are Corvids. Love them.

ive had magpies and jackdaws they are very clever.

ajf

ajf

Soldato
Tend to support the restriction provided as it seems there is the ability to apply for a license when required.
On the other hand, unlikely to stop farmers ‘dealing’ with them.
Badgers are protected but there are a suspiciously high number of dead ones just by the edges of the roads where I live.

Man of Honour
We have a wood pigeon that nests in our fruit trees every year. Quite funny seeing the fat ******* wobbling around the garden. Also funny seeing, later in the year, the massive chick filling the precariously balanced nest - does not look secure!

We've had a sparrowhawk coming and going for a couple of weeks, picking up some of the smaller birds (sparrows, of course, and bluetits), and I'd wondered if it would go for the pigeon - I saw one being pinned down by a sparrowhawk during a bike ride along the canal last month - but to be honest, I think this particular pigeon is just too massive.

Most of ours have been run over. They just stand in the middle of the road every morning!

Soldato
Same - brilliant birds.

I picked up a magpie that appeared to be rather drunk last summer. It was wobbling around on the pavement and falling on its back. Possibly it had been hit by a car, but it was a quiet road with slow moving vehicles. Moved it to some undergrowth so it was a bit more out of sight to sleep it off.

We get jackdaws in the garden regularly, they fly over from the nearby church tower. And usually a couple of magpies - they're my favourites.

Caporegime
Same - brilliant birds.

I picked up a magpie that appeared to be rather drunk last summer. It was wobbling around on the pavement and falling on its back. Possibly it had been hit by a car, but it was a quiet road with slow moving vehicles. Moved it to some undergrowth so it was a bit more out of sight to sleep it off.

We get jackdaws in the garden regularly, they fly over from the nearby church tower. And usually a couple of magpies - they're my favourites.

I had my jackdaw from a chick. He had no parents (think they were shot but not sure)
I've had a few rescues over time.. Even a kestrel. But jackdaw was my fav.

Soldato
I remember looking out of my window once, saw a magpie obviously struggling on the pavement, trying to get into the cover of a hedge.

Next I saw two more magpies flying down next to him.

Aww, his mates saw him in distress, and have come down to help him, I thought.

Nope. :(

Caporegime
what will happen because of this in reality ? more of the pests will be flying about which = less rarer birds more damage. more disease.
Farmers will go on shooting them because farmers are above the law when it comes to culling wildlife. Or they think they are.

Soldato
I have said my piece about him on the Facebook posts.

Utter idiot and NE are not doing any favours

BASC have said some good words

I used to decoy wood pigeons over a few farms and you could see the damage they do to crops, wood pigeon is also a sustainable source of meat.

I didn't come back with big bags at a time but managed to bag a few for the freezer and scare them off the land

Pheasant shooting /gamekeeping. These birds are reared, does this bloke have an issue with cows/sheep ?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom