Oil filter wrench

Soldato
Hi guys,

Anyone recommend an oil filter wrench?

I have one of those types with a short chain but I find them difficult to use, and they destroy filter which makes a mess.

Ideally I would be after a generic one that can be used on different filters. I have in the past tried to buy oil filter wrench caps and ended up getting ones that didn't fit.

I need one to do a Mark 7 ford fiesta and a Volvo S60.

Cheers.

Soldato
I've got the chain type which i find almost completely useless, i have another which are like big tongs/wrench thing which work pretty well. But i bought a oil filter socket set of eBay with like 20+ different cap things and that's been really really useful on troublesome filters.

Soldato
OP
If you do this and the can tears away from the base you've got serious problems.

Yup, exactly. I have used the screwdriver technique it's just bloody messy as well.

I'm after a tool, the Volvo specifically is pretty tight to get at the filter, I doubt you'd even easily get a screwdriver through/around it, whatever I can get to make life easier.

Soldato
OP
Soldato
I just use a specific tool for the cars where possible. For the Fiesta MK7 it's something like this which just goes on a standard socket wrench. I own and use one of these for my MK7:

81-SCz-KXJAOL-SX355.jpg

For the other cars I've owned/still own (S-Max/Mondeo/BMW E90 and F30) they use the cartridge filter with a plastic cap so I have a set of oil filter housing socket adapters like this:

oil-filter-wrench-remover-socket-set-5pc-3-8-drive-24-27-32-36-3.jpg

Not sure what the S60 uses but it seems like one of those oil filter socket adapter sets would cover you from a very quick Google search.

Soldato
I just use a specific tool for the cars where possible. For the Fiesta MK7 it's something like this which just goes on a standard socket wrench. I own and use one of these for my MK7:

81-SCz-KXJAOL-SX355.jpg

Yeah that's what I'd recommend also. Allows you to put a rachet drive on. I don't think it's that much more expensive. I suppose the only downside could be its for certain models of filter so might not fit your next car.

Soldato
i have just about every type out there. Including this Lisle 17 filter kit. There is never one size fits all. Even the proper Lisle can start slipping. I had a horrible time once removing a filter that was cranked on so tight, that it broke 3 of my multi removal tools, that i just said beep that, i got the Lisle kit. Get a bunch of inexpensive multi fit ones, and invest in a proper kit and you should be all set for life !

I also got the Lisle Multi fit one pictured here. This seems to be the best when its ok to destroy the mofo to get it off.

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/w.../N3401A/large/25981260_lis_63250_pri_larg.jpg

** Do not Hotlink images **

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
The chain one is fiddly but winding it round the socket to a similar size.to the filter housing before slipping it over the filter means a little turn and it starts gripping.

My halfords one must be 25yrs old now!

Soldato
Yeah that's what I'd recommend also. Allows you to put a rachet drive on. I don't think it's that much more expensive. I suppose the only downside could be its for certain models of filter so might not fit your next car.

This, just find the correct one for your particular car.

If you do this and the can tears away from the base you've got serious problems.

This is one thing that has always puzzled me. How do some people manage to screw filters on so tight??

All the filters I have ever screwed on by hand, I have typically been able to unscrew by hand 12 months later.

By contrast, I actually had one once that had been screwed on so tight I had to remove the filter housing and take it to a machine shop! :eek: :mad:

Some of them are on so tight they must have been fitted by one of "King Kongs" closer relatives!
What part of "Screw on until contact and then another 3/4 turn" do people not understand! :confused:

Back
Top Bottom