• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Radeon VII Owners Thread

Associate
I've had the email too from Alphacool.
I've done some investigation this afternoon. The reference cooler doesn't have a pad over "R47 1833" but the alphacool pads are 1mm thick. The reference pads are thicker and the EKWB block doesn't use a pad either.
ziVdUBC.jpg
This is my block removed and as you can see the pad hasn't even been crushed like the rest with the imprints of the vrm. Mines a Sapphire card.
Just to give a easy measure of 2mm, a 2p coin is 2mm thick so the "r47 1833" should be just slightly less.

Associate
I've had the email too from Alphacool.
I've done some investigation this afternoon. The reference cooler doesn't have a pad over "R47 1833" but the alphacool pads are 1mm thick. The reference pads are thicker and the EKWB block doesn't use a pad either.
This is my block removed and as you can see the pad hasn't even been crushed like the rest with the imprints of the vrm. Mines a Sapphire card.
Just to give a easy measure of 2mm, a 2p coin is 2mm thick so the "r47 1833" should be just slightly less.

The one that is at issue doesn't have a pad over it in your picture. It would sit in the area of the black rivet on the lower right-hand side of your picture.

Associate
I checked my bykski block when fitting it and had contact on every pad, my card was a gigabyte card from launch, so I would imagine a reference card. any manufacturer selling the VII should state reference design or non reference design clearly.
by the above picture it looks like you have no contact on that pad at all, so your component is shallower than the block, if alphacool is saying it could damage that component by crushing it then it seems some touch the pad, which alphacool doesn't.
and some do which bykski did on mine. EK we have no idea yet. but what worries me is the fact the reference air cooler? is this subject to the same issue of components being different heights offering poor contact on some cards causing higher temps.

I cant see all manufacturers making the own reference style cooler to fit there card alone, I thought they just stuck the stickers on the fans only. A little concerning for people even with the standard air cooler. a lower component you can use a thicker pad, but higher and crushing it or holding off the heat plate from GPU is not good.

or could this just be alphacool made a mistake in manufacture?

sits in recess in block marked in green. doesn't look like a thermal pad even sits on it, just a cut away in block.

Last edited:
Associate
The one that is at issue doesn't have a pad over it in your picture. It would sit in the area of the black rivet on the lower right-hand side of your picture.
You're right, getting the picture mixed up lol. I think its going to be referring to the black screw that holds the RGB strip in place that will crush the component if its too tall!

Associate
I'VE JUST GOT MINE OUT AND IT IS THE BLACK SCREW HEAD TOUCHING "r47 1833"!!!
AND ITS DAMAGED IT!!!!

The black screw head isn't sitting inline with the r47 1833, looking at the pic on the page before it sits directly beneath the coils with thermal pads on, unless on your card r47 is not in the same place as Pic.

this pic

Last edited:
Soldato
Building a system for a friend with an R7 and anytime junction temp reaches 110'c the whole system freezes, Black screen and then eventually goes back to the desktop with the driver recovering itself, This happened to mine constantly before I lapped my heatsink, Whoever at AMD is in charge of cooler design needs to be fired.

Associate
isn't R47 in the same place on your pic and the pic supplied? does R47 sit in a cut out directly below the thermal pads, is the cut out not big enough and clamps on the edge of R47? I can see the mark on R82 as well. was not well thought out the alphacool block.
No its crap in a word. They aren't sat in a cut out. If the screw heads where flat it wouldn't of been an issue. Its a deadly RGB strip!

Associate
yea I see what you mean now, been a long day mate, and yes it is crap as alphacool should have used flat head screws. hope your card is ok.
Its been a long few weeks with this BS lol. Its always the most simple stuff that causes issues. I've done a quick post test with the loop in pieces and the vii was 22c in HWinfo. Not bad for passive lol. I've been changing my loop as the xspc d5 dual 5.25 bay I was using had to go. It was dragging all the air back into the loop, another very poor design. I was fine with my vega running on speed 2 but any more and it turns into a sloshing disaster! Got a "EK-DBAY D5 MX - Acetal" to fit when I get 5 mins lol. And a 2nd Powercolor vii to ek block for my brother next week. (good card too 1054mv)

Man of Honour
No its crap in a word. They aren't sat in a cut out. If the screw heads where flat it wouldn't of been an issue. Its a deadly RGB strip!

Mate sorry to hear about your card. looks like you might just get away with it though! This is the last straw on alphacool stuff for me. I think it was you I was telling a few pages back about the shoddy build quality and non existent quality control on the eiswolf. :(

Associate
Its been a long few weeks with this BS lol. Its always the most simple stuff that causes issues. I've done a quick post test with the loop in pieces and the vii was 22c in HWinfo. Not bad for passive lol. I've been changing my loop as the xspc d5 dual 5.25 bay I was using had to go. It was dragging all the air back into the loop, another very poor design. I was fine with my vega running on speed 2 but any more and it turns into a sloshing disaster! Got a "EK-DBAY D5 MX - Acetal" to fit when I get 5 mins lol. And a 2nd Powercolor vii to ek block for my brother next week. (good card too 1054mv)

blimey you have had a bad few weeks mate, never used the xspc dual 5.25 but have always liked the vertical res with D5 at bottom, I had problems getting the air out of the 2080ti DK block, good thing I use flexi hoses so I could take card out and twist it around
to remove the air trap, with solid tubes it would have been much more difficult. and looks like your bro got a good low 1054mv card. very nice, it should clock quite nicely.

Associate
blimey you have had a bad few weeks mate, never used the xspc dual 5.25 but have always liked the vertical res with D5 at bottom, I had problems getting the air out of the 2080ti DK block, good thing I use flexi hoses so I could take card out and twist it around
to remove the air trap, with solid tubes it would have been much more difficult. and looks like your bro got a good low 1054mv card. very nice, it should clock quite nicely.
Ye, its going on its own slim 360mm loop. This CPU is staying on a 240 aio to keep it simple. I think XSPC seem to be dying. I know I've spoken on the phone to the guys a ocuk and they struggle to get hold of there stock now.

Associate
Mate sorry to hear about your card. looks like you might just get away with it though! This is the last straw on alphacool stuff for me. I think it was you I was telling a few pages back about the shoddy build quality and non existent quality control on the eiswolf. :(
Not me on the eiswolf, I do remember reading that too though.

Man of Honour
Second that, one dead vega and 2 dead alpha cool blocks late

Not me on the eiswolf, I do remember reading that too though.

I think they need to put a lot more into the stuff that they produce. In my house the name alphacool goes hand in hand with ghetto cooling, some of my little mining cards have some properly ghetto cooling solutions on them which almost always involve zip ties. Some of these solutions I rate as better thought out than some of the alphacool stuff.

Back
Top Bottom