Biker's Cafe Chatroom

Soldato
Well he did say before he wanted to wash it, hope he isn't expecting payment though.

Wouldn't be too fussed if it was an old beater and i know it's not a high end bike but it only had 1500 miles on it and was in great nick.

Associate
Bought a new Arai QV Pro to replace my past its best Shark, and the damn thing whistles. Need to work out where it's coming from before it drives me bonkers. Sounds like top right, but it's there with the top vents open or closed.

Soldato
Bought a new Arai QV Pro to replace my past its best Shark, and the damn thing whistles. Need to work out where it's coming from before it drives me bonkers. Sounds like top right, but it's there with the top vents open or closed.

You'll have to run a bit of paper around the perimeter of the visor - see if/where it pokes out. Might have to take the side pod covers off, and adjust the position of the retaining mechanism.

Associate
You'll have to run a bit of paper around the perimeter of the visor - see if/where it pokes out. Might have to take the side pod covers off, and adjust the position of the retaining mechanism.

Thanks, yeah I did that last night, and no matter how I adjusted the visor there's still a gap on the right, however today there was no whistle. still a slight gap on the right side under the visor, not the left when it's locked.

Soldato
Thanks, yeah I did that last night, and no matter how I adjusted the visor there's still a gap on the right, however today there was no whistle. still a slight gap on the right side under the visor, not the left when it's locked.

That would still annoy me, for such an expensive lid :D Might want to keep an eye out for biking events near-by, as Arai often have techs there, who will sort your lid FOC :)

Associate
That would still annoy me, for such an expensive lid :D Might want to keep an eye out for biking events near-by, as Arai often have techs there, who will sort your lid FOC :)

I'm not happy with it, and have considered returning it, however if Arai techs will do that, and I can find one, bonus. Wonder if there's one at Poole bikenight.

Soldato
Gentlemen, talk to me about tyres? Currently on (and have been for 5 years) Dunlop Sportmaxx Roadsmarts; never really had any issues but i never had much confidence on the SV anyway. Bike is used year round for commuting, although won't be used between August this year and Feb next year.

Naturally I'm looking towards the Pilot Road 4/5's, just wanted to see if there's any other good options, and opinions on the PR' :)

Man of Honour
If you want to save some cash I've been running Pirelli STs all year round for the last couple of years and I've just had a new set fitted to the Bird, under £200 for a set and they've never made me question their grip in the wet or dry.

Soldato
For the past several years i've only ever run Michelin PR4 and Pirelli Angel GT.

PR's have always been better in wet
Angel GT are definitely better in the dry and seem to last longer as well.

I'm going to PR5's next.

Soldato
Battlax are terrible tyres. I had them on my first XR, and replacing them transformed the bike.

I'm currently on Road 5s, and they've been really good in the dry although they do need some warming up. On balance I think I prefer the Metzeler Roadtech 01s, as I think they're better i the wet, or at least feel better in the wet for my standard of riding. But it'll likely come down to which tyre wears the best, and I've seen reports that the Road 5 wears more evenly than the Roadtech 01, my second set of which squared far more quickly than the first.

Man of Honour
Gentlemen, talk to me about tyres? Currently on (and have been for 5 years) Dunlop Sportmaxx Roadsmarts; never really had any issues but i never had much confidence on the SV anyway. Bike is used year round for commuting, although won't be used between August this year and Feb next year.

Naturally I'm looking towards the Pilot Road 4/5's, just wanted to see if there's any other good options, and opinions on the PR' :)

PR5 or Roadtec 01 get my recommendation. I prefer the latter and have them on my MT-10 currently.

Associate
I've had Sport Demons for touring previously and really rated them. I had Diablo Rosso 3s on my GSXR1000 and again no complaints.

I've just shoed my 600 with Maxxis Supermax MAPS, but haven't ridden them yet. Very sticky even to the touch seems the reviews of outstanding grip are true.

Soldato
Just passed my CBT a couple of days ago :D I was first undecided if I wanted to go direct access, but after having done it, I think I want to get a bit more experience on a 125 before doing my full licence, and I'll only be doing short commuter trips.

Bought the 13mm Pragmasis chain and RoundLock yesterday (so hopefully arrive end of the upcoming week/early next week).
Should have arriving tomorrow 2 Abus disk locks, a cover, and all the clothes/helmet from sportsbikeshop. (Really liking the helmet graphics: https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/430915)

Also tomorrow, I'll be viewing a 2017 Yamaha YBR 125 with 13k miles, looks really clean, and with a top box for £1250. I've been looking and even 2006-2008 bikes seem to be going for £800+, so I thought for something 2 years old, £1250 seems about right?

Anything I should know or anything else I should buy being new into the motorbike world?
Really excited to get riding! :D

Soldato
Went out today with the local bike shop, they do a breakfast club first sunday of every month, there was only about 13-14 of us today, I have seen up to about 35 before.

It was actually nicer with fewer of us, much less chaotic, we ended up at Jacks Hill Cafe in Towester if anyone is familiar with it, second time I've been there, and there was the usual 50 odd bikes parked outside, although it wasnt quite as heaving as last time.

Almost got taken out by a car transporter on the way back, on the A45 east just before the roundabout for the A14, single carriage, was slowing up in front, was kinda to the right, sort of looking to overtake but not commiting at that stage. Hear a screach of tires to check my left mirror to see the thing, fully locked up sailing past me on the inside. Lucky I was over I reckon. Guy was clearly ******** himself and did put his hand up when I turned around.

Back
Top Bottom