• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

1080Ti getting really quite hot

HRL

HRL

Soldato
So, I've transported everything into the R6, it's a beautiful case with the glass window. I've cable managed as best as I can, I don't think 8 Pack will be out of a job anytime soon lol. Here are couple of photos:

Afzsvt6.jpg

I beg to differ. Compare your first picture with the internal shot of your new case and the differences are massive.

TBH I’m a big fan of larger cases anyway. :)

Associate
OP
So I've now switched over to The Division 2 and with the slightly warmer weather the temperatures are now at around 85c while gaming. I've tried with the side of the case off and it literally shaves off a degree or two. Using MSI afterburner I can see the GPU gets up to around 85c with fan at 96%, utilisation at 98% and a core speed of around 1980MHz. The game in question was being played at 1440p on a 165Hz G-Sync monitor. It looks like it is boosting well but I would have expected the temperatures to be a little lower especially with the fan nigh on 100%. Thinking of doing a repaste. In 15 years of building PCs I've never had to do one before. Is it a case of just unscrewing the cooler and away you go with cleaning and reapplying? Any pro tips?

Associate
Don't scrimp on the paste when reapplying, obviously you don't want an entire tube but you really need to make sure the entire die is covered. I would use Thermal grizzley kryonaut

Associate
I only have experience of putting on water block but I would make sure you have proper screwdrivers not those crap ones you get at Christmas a cracker. Also maybe order new thermal pads as I struggled to keep the old ones in tact.

Soldato
Leave more room between the rear of the case and the wall, for exhaust air.

Thermal pads are a good shout if you want to be thorough when repasting. At least to have on hand in case pads peel off or become a gluey stretchy mess when you disassemble the cooler. Have to find the right thickness pads for your card. I hear the normal Arctic Cooling blue pads are very decent and cheaper than other fancier ones.

Could look into undervolting too. Might find no loss in performance, maybe even gain, never know.

Good job with cable management v old.

Associate
I feel your pain, when I first bought my 1080Ti Strix used it was hitting 85-90C even with max fan speed! It turns out when I went to change the cooler to an AIO that the original paste was rock hard, so it was no surprise heat wasn't getting transferred.

Put Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut on and after using the Kraken bracket to fit a 140mm AIO with quiet fans it's 30c cooler at load. The rig never seems to budge from Idle fan speeds xD

Associate
Nothing wrong with temps. Stop wasting your money and just use it.
Far too many folk round here have obsessive compulsive disorder with temps.

Associate
Each to their own, imo it really ruins the gaming experience for me to have a high powered card blaring it's fans at 3000+ rpm and still only just be under the temperature limit. YMMV if you wear headphones or have your own secluded space to game so as to not bother others.

Soldato
I dont know why you at 98% gpu load at 1980mhz on a 1080ti in div2/1440p.

But even with that in mind the temps are high, so yeah swap out that paste.

Also get to work on your voltage curve and undervolt it :)

Even a silicon loser can gain from undervolting. My gpu runs about 10-15C cooler at same clocks from undervolting.

Soldato

gpu boost 3.0 punishes temps much more than 2.0, it drops clocks at 35C, 45C, 55c, 65c, dont know about 75c as my gpu never got that hot. So he has had at least 4 speed bin drops due to that temperature.

Also the affect on longevity and stability? no idea, but I personally would not be comfortable with my gpu at 85C during a normal gaming session, during furmark maybe but not a game.

Soldato
I have a small case and my FE 1080ti would continually throttle itself at 84 degrees, and it got there remarkably quickly.

About 6 months or so ago I added an EVGA hybrid water cooler kit to the card. Installation took me about an hour but my load temperatures dropped some 20 degrees by doing this.

Back
Top Bottom