Can a gaming laptop do Ultrawide?

Soldato
Hey,

I'm thinking of grabbing a gaming laptop but I'm struggling to come to a conclusion on what would be best.

The OLED ones especially look cool. I've seen the newly announced Razerblade OLED but their custom service really worrys me.

Do you think DELL would be a better shout or can you think of better laptop manufacturers with good warranty?

I was also wondering, i would a laptop be able to power a 34'' ultrawide 144hz or am i better off getting a cheaper laptop and building a second rig?

I'm edging towards that it'd probably be smarter to buy a 1-1.5k laptop and build a 1k rig then plonk 2.8k into a laptop.. what do u guys think?

Ideally I'd want to take this thing to work so something portable-ish.

Soldato
Someone with real knowledge will be along soon to correct me I’m sure... however...

I’ve just ordered an Aorus 15 X9, which has an RTX 2070 and came with an ultra widescreen monitor in the Easter sale (which I believe is still on...) for £2k.

With nothing but my uninformed personal research to go on, it seems that the 2070 is ample to run almost any current game at 2560 x 1080 at ultra/high settings, and should be fine for a few years to come.

As for the physical size of the monitor, shouldn’t make any difference at all.

As for the monitor running at 144hz, again, shouldn’t make any difference either. It simply means that it can show you a true reflection of your FPS up to 144 FPS. Not many new games will be running at an average FPS this high anyway.

I’m pretty sure all of the above is right, but it’s all based on my own crude research when looking to buy my own laptop, so I’m super happy to be corrected.

Edit: laptop here https://www.overclockers.co.uk/aoru...560x1080-super-wide-widescreen-bu-02x-gi.html

Monitor is only 25 inch and overclockable to 75hz, but worst case you can flog it and put that money towards the bigger, faster monitor if you don’t already have it.

Also, if you opt for the above laptop, it’s £200 cheaper than the same laptop with a 2Tb drive. What I’ve done is bought the cheaper configuration, then spent about £160 on a second 512 M.2 drive solely for steam, and a 1Tb firecuda drive for storage too...

Better config that the £2199.99 option and still £40 cheaper...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom