Would it be crazy to buy a new petrol or diesel car now

Soldato
There s got to be a mixture EVs. There are 300million personal use cars in Europe alone. In US probably similar numbers then you factor in China, Japan, Australia, New Zealand etc. There are a lot of cars.

On CO2 g/km, the chap at Toyota running the Swindon trial reckons over life time of a Fuel Cell EV it is around 65g/km assuming hydrogen is derived from renewable when compared with 125g/km for battery EV. Due to the embodied carbon in producing and disposing batteries. Also recycling lithium is not easy either from I have read. Which is why there s very little economy in recycling at the moment. But when vehicle battery enter the frame it may be different as there are a lot more metal to be sourced from a single bank of batteries than iPhone for instance.

On fuel cell side, they ah e developed fuel cell that can work off waste fuel from a gas turbine which can generate hydrogen as well as capture carbon but the tech can be used in any waste fuel situation such as steel works :o. It’s pretty impressive but again not heard about...it is a promising tech until we somehow find a way to produce unlimited cheap energy....

Soldato
Trying to build all those batteries to turn all the developed worlds vehicles into EV would be ridiculous. The mining process alone would probably turn the planet toxic.

It will happen slowly, but the developing world is going to be a problem. They barely have stable enough power to keep the lights on.

Associate
One of the best ways to build a set up is to have a small'ish diesel engine as more torque than petrols running at a very efficent state controlled by the control box not the driver connected to a generator powering motors at the wheels with spare power stored in a battery for slow running etc
That way could be run so clean and very efficently as engine would need extra fueling as revs change and no idling which is where engines are not clean/efficently running but also as slowing down often get poorly burnt fuel being emitted
They could also make the generators more efficent also

Soldato
My 2006 320D is now on 148k miles after purchasing on 59k, still going service every 10k miles ish

When are the diesel fuel prices going to drop? Been going up at a rapid rate ATM.

Not looking to swap just yet

Last edited:
Don
My 2006 320D is now on 148k miles after purchasing on 59k, still going service every 10k miles ish

When are the diesel fuel prices going to drop? Been going up at a rapid rate ATM.

Not looking to swap just yet

Diesel fuel prices are only going one way, and it's not down...

Soldato
I'm not going to rush out and buy a petrol just yet if the prices are also increasing

I do want an economical but good performer and good on motorway petrol car though

Soldato
Diesel fuel prices are only going one way, and it's not down...

Indeed, expectations are that by 2022 it will be at least £1.65 a litre, and almost £2 per litre by 2025. I thought it seemed high, but inflation alone is a big hit, at the average inflation rate of 2.82% meant £1 in 2010 was worth £1.25 in 2018, so in 2022 that is £1.44 and £1.52 in 2025, and that is not factoring in rising oil prices and increases in taxes to push people away from fossil cars.

I'd say the economic cross over for people doing higher than average mileage, will mean that alternate fuels will be a far cheaper option sooner than a lot of people think.

Soldato
They can't tax electricity like they can petrol/diesel so there will need to be some alternate method of taxation, that will likely also apply to new ICE vehicles to act as a further 'incentive' the purchase of EV's.

They also can't tax 'smart' chargers, most people can get away with charging their car from a 3 pin plug.

Don
They can't tax electricity like they can petrol/diesel so there will need to be some alternate method of taxation, that will likely also apply to new ICE vehicles to act as a further 'incentive' the purchase of EV's.

They also can't tax 'smart' chargers, most people can get away with charging their car from a 3 pin plug.

They will just shift it to increased VED instead. No reason at all that they can't start charging VED on EVs.

Soldato
It's going to happen eventually and VED will likely be it. Just like you can't have a 0 tax hybrid now (unless you buy one from before the rules changed).

Get ready for £1000s a year to make up for the lost tax revenue from petrol/diesel.

Soldato
Oh no doubt there will be VED on EVs but I am more thinking about fuel duty, VED is a drop in the ocean comparatively. I guess they will need to tier it based on the cars value, it’s still very regressive for those with expensive taste but don’t drive much. It’s what makes fuel duty reasonably effective as a use more pay more type tax.

I suppose they could just put tolls on all the main roads.

Back
Top Bottom