Car mount for large phone

Soldato
I’m looking for a way of mounting my phone (iPhone XS Max) in my car (2009 Range Rover Sport) without using a windscreen mount or air vent mount.

Windscreen mounts mean the phone overheats if I drive for any length of time during the day (I suspect my previous phone died due to me not being careful enough about this) and air vent mounts block the main AC vent and don’t allow me to move it. I’m also not happy with putting the weight of my phone plus mount on a little plastic air vent which isn’t designed to support anything.

So far, the only solution I’ve found is the Brodit Pro Clip which are a bit of a nightmare to get hold of where I live, plus the installation seems to involve prying a gap in part of the plastic interior trim which I’m a bit hesitant about given it’s an older car which has spent most of its life sitting in 35 degree heat.

Any suggestions for other solutions?

Man of Honour
GoPro mount and a compatible phone holder.

I have one of these which I use when I do need my phone on the dash. Can then just detach it off the mount and chuck in the glovebox when not in use.

Screenshot_20190424-235458_QuickPic.jpg

I forgot the brand but next time I'm in the car I can grab it if needed.

Soldato
I use a mount that uses the CD location as a means of suportsupp itself. It then uses a magnet to attach to a metal disc attached to my phone's case.

I have the Mate 20 Pro, so not exactly a small phone. Works perfectly.

Soldato
I have a magnet mount - glued to a piece of trim just by my AC controls (Saab 9-3). The trim was lightly damaged anyway, so I didn't see any harm in attaching to that - as it'll be replaced when I come to sell the car. Holds my phone (iPhone 8 Plus) securely and out of the way - however I can still flick my eyes to it when using Waze and not take my eyes off the road.

Don
Brodit. They may be hard to get hold of where you are but they are the best. I have been using Brodit mounts for years and they are excellent but expensive. They do a mount for pretty much every vehical and a cradle for pretty much every phone. The XS Max takes the iPhone 6/7/8+ mounts by the way.
I have a mount with a lightning connector on the bottom so when I get in the car I just throw my phone it in and it's charging straight away.
The mounts are super easy to fit. They come with any pry tools you need to fit them.

Soldato
OP
Thanks all - a lot to think about there!

@mrk if you could get the brand for me, that would be great. I like the idea of being able to stick it wherever I want ( :eek: ) as I could choose a part of the dash that gets a bit more shade.

@Diagro @Howard CD mount looks interesting too, particularly as I never use my CD player. I was initially put off them as a friend has one and it looks awful, but the one Diagro linked looks far better. Definitely something to think about.

@Rilot I am definitely considering the brodit, I just don’t fancy using pry tools on my car trim as it’s remarkably rattle free and I’d like to keep it that way. Maybe I’m being over cautious though.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I use this one: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B019DCBJYQ/ref=dp_prsubs_1

I chose it for that reason - it looks neat and tidy when there isn't a phone in it. Not sure how available it is over there, mind you!
A few of the guys at work use this for mounting their own phone in their trucks, one thing though is we’ve found the CD player on some of the trucks thinks your inserting a CD so the motor is constantly pulsing as it tries to pull the disc in, depends on the design of the player I guess.

Soldato
SP Gadgets phone mount!
good versatile idea ... do you stick with genuine gopro mounts to attach to that, to avoids play ?

.... I don't really see why the car manufacturers aren't providing something ideally a tablet compatible mount,
yes - they want you to buy into their inferior (bmw & other) ecosystem, and, maybe, keep your eyes on the road.

Man of Honour
I have a mix of official gopro and cheap amazon mounts, they're all solid and sturdy. Can't go wrong really. The official gopro ones are a bit shinier is all really. Both types have 3M sticky pads and that's the important part I guess.

Soldato
Soldato
I have an ailun sticky pad mount. It's great, strong magnet so my oneplus 6t doesn't fall off. Can't tell the magnet is there as it is behind the case, and when I purchased it was 2 for £5

Back
Top Bottom