**** The Official OnePlus 7/OnePlus 7 Pro Thread ****

Soldato
I picked up OP5 on release day from o2 store - not sure who has got it this time around - hopefully still o2.

Still looks awfully pricey - £200 jump from 6T model potentially.

They are aimed at different market segments though. The 7 will replace the 6T and has already been stated as being more expensive than the 6T is currently. So I'd guess (and it is just that) we'll see the 7 starting at £579 with the Pro at around £699.

It makes sense that they would price them relatively close together so people thinking about the 7 would see the Pro as not too much extra for what you are getting.

Soldato
Those wanting the Pro version with all the bells and whistles and not having an OP phone before or moving from an old OP phone will be relatively happy but in the immortal words of Flossy Carter "The price is too goddamn high...."

You're now in the Google Pixel / Samsung territory and IMO they offer far more.

With regards to the OP7 it's just an upgraded OP6T and those who have the latter or even a OP5/ OP5T might want to hold off buying this.

OP phones work really well and there are members on this forum who still rock OP3 / OP5 and have no issues with their respective phones. That's testament to OP not only due to the hardware they use but also Oxygen OS which IMHO is the best Android skin out there.

Soldato
Oxygen is great, apart from the small annoying niggles. No google now on swipe left, custom icons break the contacts on the shelf, no ability to revert individual icons when using an icon pack, the use of oneplus reskinning google apps (seems a waste of staffing resource to me)...not a show stopper by any means but if they are entering the premium segment then they need to up their game. Really don't understand this "we know better than google" attitude.

Soldato
The One Plus brand has been evolving and moving away from the flagship killer moniker for a while now. These days if you want a true budget phone with decent specs but less software and hardware polish there are plenty of contenders already along with new releases this year like the Xiaomi Pocophone F2 and Meizu 16s.

You're now in the Google Pixel / Samsung territory.

That is the whole point of the Pro; they no longer want to be a flagship killer brand alone but instead offer an actual flagship phone with the hardware and the obvious increase in price to match. One of the main areas that One Plus kept the price down was the screen and they still have that in the 7 (which you rightly say is little more than a upgraded 6T or a 6TT if you will :rolleyes:;)) but the Pro is there to compete actual flagship phones with the higher resolution along with its main selling point the 90Hz refresh rate.

and IMO they offer far more.

I don't agree that they offer more though, especially when you look at the last two Pixel phones. The Pixel's have always been great phones and I've enjoyed owning them but they are always let down by the hardware which no amount of software can sort. Just look at the screen issues on the 2 XL or the slow down effects caused by low Ram or hardware degradation after a year or so. One Plus phones on the other hand have offered substantially better hardware and build quality for less money, with only the Pixel camera software and screen resolution being a cut above.

Samsung is in a whole different league when it comes to hardware, their screens are the best in the business and that won't change anytime soon. On the flip side the software has always been a bit bloated and clunky which has only been partly sorted by their One UI refresh, you still can't beat OxygenOS. It isn't perfect but it is better than stock Android and anything else on the market. You also have a price tag that puts it above £700-800 One Plus 7 Pro. Imho the Galaxy S10e would be the rightful comparison to it from a price to price basis.

My next phone will essentially come down to what Pixel do with hardware. If they can improve to the point where its up there with One Plus 7 Pro, S10e along with the camera software... then they have a purchase.

It is time to stop thinking about One Plus in the way we are used to. They have been making progressive year on year moves to shake off the flagship killer brand and bring a true flagship to the table. Sure that will cost them some long term more budget savvy users but should also gain them market share. Not all of their decisions will please everyone but then there is no such thing as a perfect smartphone. It is a bit of a gamble but it has been many years in the making and I don't see them turning back now.

Soldato
Good post @Speed

I hate the bloat on my wife's S9, horrible to use, just all wrong. Love my OP5, still going strong after nearly 2 years now of daily use. Battery life is excellent.

OP7 pro "looks" like a buy for me on the surface of it but will await the launch info.

Associate
Wish OxygenOS was updated more frequently. OnePlus should set a precedent and do at minimum, monthly security updates.
out of interest have you ever had a problem with security due to slower updates? I know its nice to be up to date but I don't personally know anyone who has had an issue.

Mobster
Soldato
out of interest have you ever had a problem with security due to slower updates? I know its nice to be up to date but I don't personally know anyone who has had an issue.

That’s frankly a very poor excuse for not keeping your phone up to date with security patches.

It’s why we pay for car insurance, it’s there for when things go wrong. It might never happen to you but if it ever did you’ll be glad your phone was up to date.

Associate
That’s frankly a very poor excuse for not keeping your phone up to date with security patches.

It’s why we pay for car insurance, it’s there for when things go wrong. It might never happen to you but if it ever did you’ll be glad your phone was up to date.
who's making excuses, it was a genuine question that for what ever reason you haven't answered. its got absolutely nothing to do with car insurance. never mind its really not that important I was just interested.

Soldato
Looking good save for the curved screen and 90mhz refresh rate which will eat into that 4000mAh battery unless OnePlus work their magic.

Think I'll stick to my McLaren for a few years as I really do not like curved screens at all.

Soldato
I know a few corporate companies that won't whitelist OnePlus phones for MDM access because of their slow security updates.

Associate
Oxygen is great, apart from the small annoying niggles. No google now on swipe left, custom icons break the contacts on the shelf, no ability to revert individual icons when using an icon pack, the use of oneplus reskinning google apps (seems a waste of staffing resource to me)...not a show stopper by any means but if they are entering the premium segment then they need to up their game. Really don't understand this "we know better than google" attitude.
Good thing Nova pretty much address all these niggles :)

Soldato
OP
2j44up4.jpg

Back
Top Bottom