Rant

Associate
Hi all,

Dunno if I should post this, but I’m starting to get really frustrated with driving and just want to rant.

The cause of the frustration is having to share the road with seemingly more and more idiots who simply don’t know how to drive, or drive poorly.

For example, here is my daily commute at present:

Get to my first junction which leads onto a busy’ish 40mph straight road which I have to turn right on, first frustration is that although the end of the junction is easily big enough for a car to position itself to the left for those wanting to turn left and to the right for those wanting to turn right, it seems most drivers are just completely unaware of their road positioning and often position themselves to the right despite turning left blocking potential cars who could be turning right. Next frustration at the same point is that, especially drivers turning right, often seem to think they need a mile long gap to pull out because apparently more and more drivers are unable to calculate whether the gap is sufficient before it’s too late or unable to actually put their foot down when they do eventually pull out.

Anyway, I’ve managed to pull onto the main road which I’m on for 8 miles which is quite bendy, has some big hills and the speed limit changes often with 30mph, 40mph, 50mph and NSL sections. Firstly, I genuinely think that most drivers don’t know what the NSL sign actually is, because the majority of the time when going to a NSL section from a 40mph or 50mph limit there is no acceleration, it’s just the same speed as before, in fact they often don’t seem to be able to read speed signs at all because they don’t seem to slow down from a 40mph/50mph to a 30mph zone either. You’ve then got bends and downhill sections, where you get these drivers who have the brake on the whole time, slight bend on a 40mph section? brake… going downhill at 50mph on a NSL section, brake… it’s just frustrating that we’re making slower progress than needed and this technique of always braking, seems most drivers either need to be using the gas or brake pedal and simply don’t know they can just take their foot of either pedal before a bend or going downhill to slow down.

I’ve now got to a roundabout which initially has 3 lanes, I’m wanting to take the 3rd exit with their being 4 exits, the road markings state I can go right/take the 3rd exit in the middle lane, brilliant, because this lane isn’t busy at all whilst the right hand lane is heaving. Unfortunately, drivers don’t seem to be able to drive on roundabouts with more than 1 lane because almost every single time when I’m exiting on the outside lane, the driver in the inside lane, instead of exiting in the right hand lane attempts to side swipe me, it’s like they can’t comprehend theirs more than 1 lane on an exit.

Almost at work now, on a single lane road with traffic lights up ahead, queues very likely, but no problem, at the lights for about 50 meters theirs a 2nd turn in merge lane with a sign saying use both lanes, unfortunately though, no one wants to fill this lane, meaning I’m sat at a red twice as long as needed, or if I’m luckily enough to be close enough to use this lane, drivers don’t seem to understand how they work, often purposefully speeding up to be beside me or get in front right at the pinch point, or then start beeping or gesturing because “I’ve pushed in”.

Thank god that’s over and I can park up on the side of the road and go into work, que people’s parking habits causing yet more frustration, the main one being wasting space, eg; those drivers who park 1.5 meters from the end of the double yellow, why? Why wouldn’t you park right at the start to maximise the space? Or you’ve got those drivers who park right in the middle of a gap that could fit 2 vehicles but now cannot and having 2 meters of space in front and behind, or you’ve got the other extreme where drivers park millimetres of both your bumpers making getting out extremely difficult and getting back in impossible.

Now, I don’t mind drivers making mistakes, if it’s a genuine mistake, not because they’re driving too fast for the situation, or simply not bothering to look, but all of the above seem to be mostly understanding, how do drivers not know what the NSL sign is/means? How have they never learnt to drive on a roundabout with more than 1 lane? How do drivers not know what merge in turns are or how to use them!? How can a driver after parking up, get out and walk away knowing they’ve effectively wasted 2 meters of parking space.

And nothing seems to be done to educate these morons, surely things like educating people on merge in turns would reduce congestion?

I have so many other frustrations like people seemingly being unable to reverse park or the complete lack of maintenance or care people take in making sure things like tyres are in good condition or people middle lane hogging on motorways, which did actually get some recent attention, yet every time I go on the motorway, it’s full of people in the middle lane overtaking nobody.

Does anyone else feel the same? Sometimes I just want to have a megaphone stuck to my roof and shout at people to say use the other bloody lane, or it’s a 60mph limit for your vehicle, why are you going 40mph when the conditions are safe for the limit etc.

Anyway rant over.

Soldato
Agreed. People not knowing what NSL signs are, doing 40mph all the time on single carriageway roads despite an NSL or even a 50 sign and people braking for no reason are some of my biggest annoyances. Along with lane hoggers, people who indicate and lane change immediately and many others.

I don't know how people can be such crap drivers that they can do these things on a daily basis, but somehow they seem to get away with it and there's nothing we can do about it except sit back, give them space and accept that they're crap.

Man of Honour
Hah on the other hand I've just moved to a new area, long commute through mostly country lanes (lots of that 30, 40, NSL, 50, 40, NSL, 40, 30, 40, repeat) sharp bends and lots of hills and though I'm getting used to it not overly familiar with the roads and get quite a few people close up behind me and showing signs of frustration because I'm taking it relatively cautiously - I'm also currently driving a fairly big vehicle with different speed limits to cars.

EDIT: Dunno if it is because it is an automatic but my current vehicle seems to hold its speed quite awhile if I ease off the accelerator so I'm braking a fair bit more than I was in previous manual cars.

Last edited:
Sgarrista
Commissario
We need a new Driving Standards Agency with frequent retests and referral for people reported as poor drivers and to start pulling people off the roads if those standards arent good enough.

Soldato
After driving for over 30 years, the standards of driving are definitely getting worse IMO. People in stationary traffic blocking junctions and roundabouts, steady 40mph through NSL and 30mph zones, and my current pet hate, which I see several drivers a day doing recently, is totally ignoring red lights and just driving through. Bloody dangerous. It's like people are on autopilot or something.

Associate
In doing 100 miles a day I see quite a lot of this kind of stuff.
Conclusion is that people just don't care and you need to move to a zen like existence where it doesn't bother you. I used to rage so much on the M25 and now I just plod along with the masses.
The only way this gets better is with the cars driving themselves....

Sgarrista
Commissario
totally ignoring red lights and just driving through. Bloody dangerous. It's like people are on autopilot or something.

This seems to have really gotten very suddenly worse in recent months around here also, theres been several big smashes as a result as well.

Man of Honour
This seems to have really gotten very suddenly worse in recent months around here also, theres been several big smashes as a result as well.

Seems to be a factor in a number of accidents (generally) near here lately - also seems to be a significant increase in road accidents - almost every day lately there seems to have been a serious accident on the major roads around me (A30, A303, M5, A37).

Caporegime

Same up here. Saw 2 taxis not long back go straight in to one another by one jumping the light and the other running it. Not gonna lie, I laughed.

Man of Honour
I've got into the habit of double checking at the lights on the crossroads near me as I pull forward - which probably annoys people like the OP - but so many just come down at speed straight through the red light.

Man of Honour
In my nearly 52 years one thing I have learnt is the following.

Do not waste the slightest amount of time in considering the stupidity of others, even more so if you will likely never meet them again.

Tutt, shake your head but follow it with a smile, a laugh and clear your mind of them.

You will live longer......but I do like to rant too, but for comedy effect not because it REALLY worries me.

Soldato
It sounds like you've been driving around near me :D

My biggest pet peeve is people who don't use their indicators and just start slowing down to an almost completely stop to turn into a driveway or side street. They usually don't bother with their indicator or turn it on as they start turning the wheel which is completely pointless at that point.

People who create a rolling road block by overtaking at 2mph faster than the other car on a dual carriageway whilst going under the speed limit also drive me insane.

Man of Honour
For me the issue is that quite a large number of people seem to drive around at 40mph in a 60mph these days - even when safe to observe the speed limit. Which would be fair enough, but then everyone behind them follows with 1 foot of distance between them so you can't overtake unless you fancy doing a 6 car overtake which will then be caught on half the zombies dashcams :rolleyes:

So instead you just join the 40mph queue and quietly fume.

Soldato
For me the issue is that quite a large number of people seem to drive around at 40mph in a 60mph these days - even when safe to observe the speed limit. Which would be fair enough, but then everyone behind them follows with 1 foot of distance between them so you can't overtake unless you fancy doing a 6 car overtake which will then be caught on half the zombies dashcams :rolleyes:

So instead you just join the 40mph queue and quietly fume.

Whilst I share your dislike for dashcams, I think you're being a bit paranoid there. Who cares if some sad middle aged man uploads a video of you on youtube? The only overtakes caught on dashcam I've ever seen police taking action against are ones which nearly resulted in a serious collision. The police aren't going to analyse the video and send you a NIP because you were doing 69.7MPH in a 60 during the overtake.

Soldato
It's not really an issue when someone uploads a pointless video, but some of the dashcam lot are morons in their own right. From looking at various YouTube videos you can clearly see them going out of their way to cause a situation that never had to happen.

Caporegime
It’s a speed limit, not a target.

People are often clueless in driving, they aren’t drivers they are merely operating - to their minds - an automotive domestic appliance, no thought goes into the process, it’s just a means to get from A to B.

You find it frustrating on your commute? Try dealing with the cretins all day, 5 days a week in a vehicle that’s not ideal to bring to a stop nor the most manoeuvrable on the roads....

You let it either eat you alive or just let it wash over you, no matter what the driver education programs they do or don’t impose, you’ll always encounter non driver morons.

Unfortunately they have as much right to be on the road as you do, either stress yourself into an early grave getting wound up about it or, concentrate on what really is important in life.

Clue, driving isn’t on the list. ;)

Soldato
I do agree the overall standards of driving have plummeted, ask any highway police.

I think the days of carefree driving are well and true my over.

My commute to work consists of the bulk on average speed sections which really does sap the life out of you and for some reason also puts me into a trance and makes me sleepy?

As Scania has pointed out, life is way to short to worry about this so just brush it aside and get on with your life. I listen to my music/radio and no driver distracts me these days.

Back
Top Bottom