AORUS AD27QD - Black Uniformity?

Associate
Hello everyone,

I am looking at getting a new 2560x1440 monitor which has adaptive refresh rate and i've come across the
AORUS AD27QD.

Does anyone have experience with this monitor as i've read some reviews that the contrast and uniformity can be poor.

I currently use a Dell 2713H and while there is slight backlight bleed and blacks can sometime appear greyish I dont really want anything that would be more noticable.

Also does anyone know if this display is g-sync compatible?

Any info would be great.

Raz

Associate
I just received mine yesterday.
It's a bit early to tell but the blacks are very black and testing it in a darkened room, plugged into my laptop, it shows almost non existent backlight bleed.
It's not connected to the new system i'm building so i'll report back when it's up and running.

Man of Honour
Hoping to have one with me in near future for a full review at TFTCentral. Although a few weeks away so depends how keen you are to buy now :)

Soldato
Hoping to have one with me in near future for a full review at TFTCentral. Although a few weeks away so depends how keen you are to buy now :)

I had to send mine back to OcUK because of really bad light bleed in the bottom corners and also because sometimes the the monitor wouldn't initialise after restarts which meant me having to do soft restarts from the reset switch on my case or having to power down completely to get the damn thing working. It took so many attempts at one stage, Windows would only boot to the recovery screen and I had to go through a windows restore point to get a working PC again.

Its not much fun trying to diagnose a problem on a PC with no screen...

Associate
Rtings have an in-depth review of this monitor. However as it is using an IPS panel they do state: "In a dark room, it doesn't look as good, as blacks look gray due to the mediocre native contrast ratio. It also has bad black uniformity."
https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/gigabyte/aorus-ad27qd

If you are looking for better black levels and contrast ratios go of a VA panel instead of IPS.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
If you are looking for better black levels and contrast ratios go of a VA panel instead of IPS.

Any idea's of some good VA panels?

I have a VA TV but I notice the colour shift when looking from a off angle so would prefer something that has a good viewing angles closer to IPS.

Associate
Any idea's of some good VA panels?

I have a VA TV but I notice the colour shift when looking from a off angle so would prefer something that has a good viewing angles closer to IPS.

That's inherent with the VA technology, IPS will always have a more stable image but the contrast/black level's + IPS glow are really bad; depends what you prioritize as more important. (personally I've been using IPS for years and will be moving to a VA panel)

The new AOC AGON AG273QCX uses a newer SVA panel which has 8-bit+FRC which is better than most current VA panels on offer, it could offer better viewing angles but I have not read any reviews myself. However if I were looking for a 27" 1440p VA panel I would be putting this AG273QCX at the top of my list.

Another good resource is https://www.displayspecifications.com/en you can compare different monitor specs and most importantly see which panel is being used. You will be surprised to just how many vendors use the same panel.

Associate
My new build is now up and running and i still say this is an excellent monitor.
The blacks are very dark and very little IPS glow. It works perfectly with Gsync too even though it isn't verified as such.
I am more than pleased with it.

Associate
OP
My new build is now up and running and i still say this is an excellent monitor.
The blacks are very dark and very little IPS glow. It works perfectly with Gsync too even though it isn't verified as such.

Thanks for reporting back! I may have to get one then.

Soldato

Thanks for reporting back! I may have to get one then.

G-sync was verified one day one via Gigabyte internal testing - Now supported in Nvidia driver release today :D

have the monitor myself and is stunning and heavy! lots of metal in the legs and support arm . RGB isn't actually to heavy on the eyes but A LOT of options for it !

recommend using a good DP cable though, freesync monitors that support G-sync can have issues with signal being lots and found again .

Havent go around to overclocking the monitor yet :(

run mine on Aorus RTX 2080 :D

Associate
heads up, nvidia drivers released this week has done wonders for my screen. no longer cuts out- loses signal now and again- though still will invest in a good DP cable
I will get these drivers this evening.
I've also looked at quality DP cables, they are eye wateringly expensive.

Back
Top Bottom