Poll: Winter Is Coming - HBO's A Game of Thrones [READ WARNING]

Who will rule Westeros?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Soldato
I'm hoping the stuff you've mentioned will be involved in the spin offs. I'd love to see more about the faceless especially if Arya is involved if she comes out of this alive.

One of the spin offs was announced as scrapped yesterday and there is only one left in production. Its based a few thousand years before current events.

Soldato
I'm not sure the Faceless men were ever anything other than an exotic assassin's guild set up by Martin to train Arya. Of course I did always wonder how Jaqen Whasshisface managed to be so capable and yet stuck in a wagon with (by GoT standards) petty crims. I always felt, being Bravosi, they might be connected to the Iron Bank in some way, as their enforcers, but I still don't think there's anything there to tie up in the TV series unless Cersei suddenly can't pay her new debts. Maybe in the books, with more time and chapters to play with? It's always possible that Martin's saving a few twists for himself rather than HBO.

The Lord of Light's just a foreign God, and Gods are ten a penny in GoT. Its main parlour trick seems to be resurrection, but Kyburn's already managed something close and the NK can do it with his eyes shut, so the only loose end I see there is the Red Witch coming back to die while making up for making such a mess of things before. Maybe she has one more resurrection left in her... I'd have her resurrect the NK at the end of the final credits, just to be awkward.

The 3 Eyed Raven... well, I've said before that I think Bran's whole plot line is unsatisfying. But he has the potential to be a get out of jail free card and if that's all he is then it'll continue to be unsatisfying.

And Dany can resist normal flames, but is she dragon-proof? Especially ice-dragon-proof? I'm not convinced there will be any dragons left by the end of episode 6, and I don't think she'll survive without them, unless she's pregnant and that's her reason to live? Dunno.

I do know that this Game of Moans is almost more fun than the last two episodes though. I hope we're all proved wrong, and it's not going to go all Lost on us, but even if it does, Game of Thrones is still an incredible body of work that'll stand a lot of rewatching in years to come.

Yeah I just felt the whole thing seemed like it all should be connected but isn't. Why train Arya for no reason other than to extended her story, Why have this god bring back Jon for no reason whilst giving others magical abilities, unless it all becomes useful in the end. Why give Bran time travel / warg ability to just be bait etc. I hope I'm wrong and that this all gets used to some extent in the next few episode.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Pedantic I know, but surely the poll option should be Aegon Targaryen instead of Jon Snow? That’s his real name after all, and what he’ll be known as if he claims the throne.
I decided against it for anyone that accidentally clicks the thread. It might seem trivial but some people aren’t fully up to speed and it’s a pretty big reveal... plus it doesn’t really matter as we all know who voters meant to pick :p

Soldato
Why train Arya for no reason other than to extended her story
Well, to be fair, she does come back as a pretty impressive ninja, which is handy for a bit of Starky retribution. I don't have any problem with that, story arc-wise. I think it would have been even better with less of the 'magic faces' stuff, but that's just me struggling with convenient magic; I like a bit of order to my fantasy science, and not many fantasy writers satisfy me there.

When I first started the books it took me a few attempts to get past the first chapters. I mean, zombies? Really? And even when I got a foothold, realising Martin writes absolutely superb characters, I was never convinced by his magic... it's a mess all the way through the books with no obvious consistency and a bit too much "I need a plot device to do X". But I didn't care before long, because no writer's perfect and the narrative dragged me through the rough patches.

I think the TV show writers (including music writer) and actors, on the whole, have done a good job of overcoming the raw material's limitations, and I see Martin as a 'birds of paradise' magic writer now. It's hard to see how birds of paradise evolved to be so weird and spectacular and his magic system did something similar, with pockets of limited but mind boggling capability; dragons here, flammable swords there, smoke babies as required, etc, etc... none of it fits together, it's just generic fantasy Magic, which is usually what puts folk off the genre.

But the real magic is in Martin's characters and their societies. My favourite idea in the whole series may be the whole 'iron price/gold price' thing which captures the whole of Iron Island culture in one pithy phrase. And the magic of making us feel sorry for Cersei on her walk of shame, or Jaime when he loses his hand. I could forgive Martin anything!

However the biggest limitation of all, for me, was always the zombie threat from the North. It's the least interesting and yet most important plot element, but that doesn't mean the characters I love can't still be impressive while dealing with it. Just requires a large pinch of suspension of disbelief... and a lot of CGi, which always helps.

I need to eat a few carrots before Monday morning though... I'm over 50 and my rods are shot, so all this dark stuff's a bit of a strain on my TV and eyes. Maybe someone can arrange a magical full moon for us... though come to think of it, I don't remember seeing a moon, or tides. At least there's the fire trench around Winterfell to illuminate things, and some dragon pyrotechnics.

Mmm... I may be overthinking all this. But it's one way of dealing with potential pre-disappointment nerves. :)

Soldato
I don't think NK is going to Kings Landing

In the map table room with the rest of the main characters Sam and Bran talked about what the Night King wanted, and talked about him wanting to erase the world's memory, so with that in mind I think the NK is off to old town to destroy the Citadel

Soldato
This'll never happen but I think it'd be a cool ending -

After losing to the Night King at Winterfell and taking massive loses everyone left retreats to Kings Landing where they loses again, forcing the few survivors to have a "Dunkirk" style evacuation of Westeros. As the last ships sail away with the Night King on the beach watching them sail away they talk about, as the Night Kings army can't travel across water, how much time they have to rebuild an army to take back Westeros when the Night King kneels at the shoreline, places a hand in the sea and it slowly starts freezing over and a few wightes start walking on the now freezing sea...................fade to black......................So I like that idea, where the NK wins but it'd never be done :D

Man of Honour
This'll never happen but I think it'd be a cool ending -

After losing to the Night King at Winterfell and taking massive loses everyone left retreats to Kings Landing where they loses again, forcing the few survivors to have a "Dunkirk" style evacuation of Westeros. As the last ships sail away with the Night King on the beach watching them sail away they talk about, as the Night Kings army can't travel across water, how much time they have to rebuild an army to take back Westeros when the Night King kneels at the shoreline, places a hand in the sea and it slowly starts freezing over and a few wightes start walking on the now freezing sea...................fade to black......................So I like that idea, where the NK wins but it'd never be done :D

Mind you, if he could freeze the sea then he wouldnt have needed a dragon to get through the wall, he could have simply frozen the sea at the end of the wall and walked around it

Soldato
He's never "needed" to freeze the sea before on his way South to the wall, and when he finally reached it he had a dragon which could destroy it anyway, saving him the bother of freezing the sea and walking around it. So potentially it could be an unused Deus Ex Machina in that final shot of my completely imaginary ending :D

Soldato
I was thinking it might come down to Jon and Dany at the end and he would say again that the North won't be ruled and she then tells her dragons to burn him, but instead they take his side. Probably too obvious an ending though.

Back
Top Bottom