• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) - *** NO COMPETITOR HINTING ***

Caporegime
I agree with what you're saying. I would rather spend £200 on a GPU and then upgrade it after 2 years with another £200 GPU. Then replace it again after a further 2 years with another £200 GPU. So the final GPU upgrade would be much faster than a 2080ti, but I'd only have spent £600 in total. That's without factoring in the money you get when you sell your old GPUs.

Eh?

This post makes no sense...the gfx arena has been stagnant since the 1080ti...

March 2017 it cam out and 2 years later we have a gtx 2080 THATS THE SAME SPEED...

so your 2 year cycle nonsense is just that nonsense...:p

Caporegime
Any links? I'm still playing pubg so not brought any new games for a while. If my CPU is going to start struggling so soon I may jump to AMD

you have one of the best gaming cpus around. no need to swap anything for probably 2 years yet. pubg also favours intel cpus by a big margin. it loves a strong cpu. the only reason to jump to amd in summer is if they have caught up the ipc and can match your core speed. if they cant no point. this is what im waiting for.

Caporegime
2080TI is faster, whats changing is games, they are becoming more complex and more demanding on more CPU threads.

But £600 won’t get you one? I was referring to the BS post of buying a 200 quid gpu every two years lol

Stagnant since one generation ago? Yes that's such a long time.

So what gpu do you buy for £200 then ? Then sell it 2 years on ? Go back 2 years and tell me...lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Caporegime
But £600 won’t get you one? I was referring to the BS post of buying a 200 quid gpu every two years lol

The argument was its fine to pair an i7 with a GTX 1050 now because the CPU will still be fine for the next few generations of GPU's.

It doesn't work like that, games change they become more demanding on more threads and when you pair a higher end GPU a couple generations down the line that old CPU can't cut it anyway.

I had to replace my 4690K with what you see now less than two years after i bought it because it was horrendously inadequate for the 1070, bottlenecking and horrible stutter.

Soldato
Stay classy people

Indeed, a 6 year old GPU worth £50 being paired with a CPU at 10x the cost and no plans to replace it, I should have had him committed to an asylum. Tried to explain he would have been fine with an i5 9400F for £140 and getting an RTX 2060 and he'd be enjoying his games much more, but he wanted the fastest CPU and was convinced that it was the best way to make his system faster. Some people sadly are just idiots. :(

Caporegime
The argument was its fine to pair an i7 with a GTX 1050 now because the CPU will still be fine for the next few generations of GPU's.

It doesn't work like that, games change they become more demanding on more threads and when you pair a higher end GPU a couple generations down the line that old CPU can't cut it anyway.

I had to replace my 4690K with what you see now less than two years after i bought it because it was horrendously inadequate for the 1070, bottlenecking and horrible stutter.

Well a 9900k running at 5 ghz 8 core 16 thread will last years...

Your i5 was a mid range part so your argument is moot.

Caporegime
Indeed, a 6 year old GPU worth £50 being paired with a CPU at 10x the cost and no plans to replace it, I should have had him committed to an asylum. Tried to explain he would have been fine with an i5 9400F for £140 and getting an RTX 2060 and he'd be enjoying his games much more, but he wanted the fastest CPU and was convinced that it was the best way to make his system faster. Some people sadly are just idiots. :(

Once he decides to change his gpu then he will have the perfect platform for it...

It’s swings and roundabouts...

6 core zero threads is not cutting it now...so it’s a wasted £140 getting a 9400f

Soldato
I just can’t get interested in 1080P low detail benches these days, who cares? Is anyone buying 9900Ks to run minimum settings?

Still wish bad ports would be aded to bench's they get skipped as its considered invalid but people still play these games.

Namco bandai on their 3rd attempt at porting a tales games to PC really messed up vesperia and I am curious how well AMD hardware would handle it, the issues I will list here will make you laugh.

At 60hz fixed refresh rate there is a stutter every 0.5 seconds. Due to a bug in character animations that is out of sync with refresh rate, problem bypassed with gsync and 90hz.
Same bug with character animations is bypassed if you emulate a one threaded cpu, as its as a result of multi threading the game code. So a single core chips owns in this game.

Thankfully for all 3 tales games a modder fixed the issues, the first 2 games with his fix favours heavily threaded chips (he uses a high threaded cpu). But the stock games favour low threaded chips.

Soldato
Once he decides to change his gpu then he will have the perfect platform for it...

It’s swings and roundabouts...

6 core zero threads is not cutting it now...so it’s a wasted £140 getting a 9400f

Read my original post, he has no plans to change his GPU unless it fails, it's nearly 6 years old and it could easily last another 6 years. He replaced his board/CPU/RAM from a 3570K/Z77 as the board packed up, he has wasted his money. There are no swings or roundabouts in this exact scenario.

Also I'm not saying the 9900K is not a great CPU just not a good choice in this instance.

Caporegime
Read my original post, he has no plans to change his GPU unless it fails, it's nearly 6 years old and it could easily last another 6 years. He replaced his board/CPU/RAM from a 3570K/Z77 as the board packed up, he has wasted his money. There are no swings or roundabouts in this exact scenario.

Also I'm not saying the 9900K is not a great CPU just not a good choice in this instance.

He’s not an idiot for getting a 9900k he’s an idiot for not buying a new gpu too...was he really that budget limited?

I doubt it..

Soldato
Look how that worked out with 6 Coffeelake CPU cores now causing stutter in some games from a lack of compute threads.

I havent seen evidence of this, remember the 9400f you posted wasnt evidence of this, that was related to the 2400mhz ram not threads.

As things are now I think 6 cores 6 threads is fine, but obviously in term of future proofing it may be an issue when we start seeing ps5 ports coming across that might be optimised for 12-14 threads.

But even taking that into account if each individual thread has more grunt to it, then it will compensate.

Nvidia CMDLIST is coded quite dumb and is kinda stupid, its a hack made by nvidia to get round DX11 main thread drawcall bottleneck which works reasonably well but is flawed in how it allocates resources. DX12 multithreading should be more intelligent.

Soldato
He’s not an idiot for getting a 9900k he’s an idiot for not buying a new gpu too...was he really that budget limited?

I doubt it..

He took terrible advice, I told him as much like I said he could have had an RTX 2060 and the 9400F and been in a much better place for the next couple of years. Some people are just sucked in by marketing and numbers, rather than looking at the over all picture.

Back
Top Bottom