• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

** The AMD Navi Thread **

Permabanned
Soldato
I'll go for A and B personally, just can't get the power down on GCN.
Well they can, but it takes stupid amounts of power to get GCN near its top end of capability. And also don't forget AMD have been playing it safe with Vega by smashing in more power than seemingly necessary, as the community has shown undervolting for years.

Radeon VII has stupid power requirements because AMD chose to ramp the clocks; 7nm gives 1.25x performance at the same power or 50% power at the same performance. So push an MI50 package way over its intended clocks as an Instinct card and you get the mental limits and 300W TDP as a result.

Essentially what looks a bit weird to me is the concept of a 7nm-specific design, stripped of all the non-gaming compute has 2x 8 pin on this board? That has to be an engineering board or a "big" Navi board, otherwise AMD have really screwed the pooch.

Soldato
It's a Vega 64 for £300, but with GDDR6 instead and 50w-ish less pwr cons. but affords higher margins for AMD to actually push them out.

Like I said months ago, hats off to the smart people who bought the V56 Pulse for £280-300 w/ a £50 game bundle. Just unbeatable value, especially if you flashed a V64 bios on it. If I had another PCI-E slot I'd just get another V64 & just CF my way through oldies for 3 more years until 7nm+ and perhaps the post Navi GPU with HBM3 (I dream..)

Soldato
It's a Vega 64 for £300, but with GDDR6 instead and 50w-ish less pwr cons. but affords higher margins for AMD to actually push them out.

Like I said months ago, hats off to the smart people who bought the V56 Pulse for £280-300 w/ a £50 game bundle. Just unbeatable value, especially if you flashed a V64 bios on it. If I had another PCI-E slot I'd just get another V64 & just CF my way through oldies for 3 more years until 7nm+ and perhaps the post Navi GPU with HBM3 (I dream..)
I had 2 vega 64 in crossfire, best gaming experience of my life!!!!! I was smashing easily 2080ti scores and FPS in games, and suprisingly %75 of my games worked amazingly with CFire

Associate
Let's say it is Navi. Like Vega 64 and Radeon 7 it will have a 295 TDP and around 4000 steam processors. I'm thinking this is a the top end Navi 10 part a Radeon 7 equivilent with half the VRAM.

Associate
If it's similar TDP and performance to existing cards, surely it had better be cheaper or there's no point to it?

If it's at 7nm and has a similar power draw to a 14nm Vega, the assumption is it is significantly faster than the Vega, ie Radeon 7 levels or better yet faster. It will likely be cheaper than an R7, which is more expensive to manufacture but I'd doubt by too much.

All speculation ofcourse

Soldato
Depends how well 7nm scales for GPU compared to the CPU. Remember that Zen2 based on 7nm (I assume the same process node) was advertised as having the same performance for half the power, and unless I'm mistaken Vega was designed for the same node as 1st and second gen Ryzen?
If you translate V64 performance say onto that node then we should see significant reductions in power, combined with a smaller die size (and hopefully high yields), cheaper PCB and cooler needed since lower power consumption and no HMB2.

Soldato
Let's not forget there's a considerable Gap between something like a nitro+ v64 and a stock one. I imagine the new navi card will be more like the nitro in performance & consistency but cheaper. That's why a lot of reviews look so off on Vegas, there's a LOT of variation in performance & noise.

Caporegime
Vega VII is a 4096 Shader die with 4 compute units disables giving it 3840 Shaders, its the MI50 Radeon Instinct Workstation card, which is a cut down MI60.

This is my thinking.

Top of the line Navi will be an enhanced Vega with a small bump in IPC, maybe 10%, also a full fat 4096 Shader GPU, it will have GDDR6 not HBM2 so a slightly smaller die as HBM2 requires 2X 2048Bit IMC's (one on each side) to one 256Bit IMC, down from 331mm^2 to maybe 300mm^2.
in games that massive HBM bandwidth is wasted, it will not have the huge Floating Point compute power of the MI50 Radeon Instinct / Vega VII, which is 13.4 TFlops FP32, it doesn't need it in games, makes no difference to have a lot less, it also saves on power consumption.

So smaller, cheaper to make and faster, the GPU die its self will be significantly more power efficient tho the GDDR6 memory IC's will bring the power back up again, 8GB of GDDR6 costs about a third as much as 16GB of HBM2, its over $100 less, possibly as much as $150 less.

A faster gaming GPU with greatly reduced production costs, i'm thinking RTX 2080 at £400 to £500, £200 cheaper than the RTX 2080.

Soldato
A faster gaming GPU with greatly reduced production costs, i'm thinking RTX 2080 at £400 to £500, £200 cheaper than the RTX 2080.
Be careful talking about sensible prices, everybody will start crying how AMD aren't a charity again :p

I'd concur with most of what you're saying, although I think we'll see performance dip under RTX 2080 levels purely so it doesn't surpass the Radeon VII just yet, but slots in nicely at Vega 64 + 15-20% performance as the Adored leaks suggested way back when.

Caporegime
Be careful talking about sensible prices, everybody will start crying how AMD aren't a charity again :p

I'd concur with most of what you're saying, although I think we'll see performance dip under RTX 2080 levels purely so it doesn't surpass the Radeon VII just yet, but slots in nicely at Vega 64 + 15-20% performance as the Adored leaks suggested way back when.

The reason why i think RTX 2080 is that Vega VII is 90% the performance of the 2080, with 10% more shaders the Vega 64 is only 80% of Vega VII, Vega VII has much higher clock speed than Vega 64, you take the same 7nm clock speeds and add the 10% cut shaders back in and you're already at RTX 2080.

Soldato
True, but what I think you're describing is the Radeon VII replacement, which I don't think it quite here yet. But then again, take your idea of a maxed out Navi chip, apply it to that PCB shot, drop Samsung 2GB GDDR6 modules onto it and BOSH you do have that Radeon VII replacement.

I've long said that AMD will replace Radeon VII with a real, actually viable product as soon as they can, but I'm not sure a mere 6 months is such a good idea :p September maybe? Because I certainly don't think this mythic Navi 20 that can beat a 2080 Ti and has ray tracing is even actually a Navi.

Back
Top Bottom