Taking 8 month old baby on holiday

Soldato
Why have children if you don't want them to experience the things that you get to experience in life? I understand the need for a break away from the kids but I'd much rather they get to see the world with us.

Our daughter is 2 and has been on 2 foreign holidays with us. The holidays were all the better for having her there. We still did everything we would have done before having kids and seeing her amazement at the different scenery and architecture made it all the more worthwhile.

I'm sure she won't remember it but that isn't the point. She still experienced it and reacted to it and I'm sure it will help shape her in some way.

Soldato
My wife is pushing hard that we go on holiday abroad with our first child, he is 6 weeks old now and will be 4/5 months old when the time she suggests arrives.. I'm glad i found this thread because I'm secretly dreading it.
At the moment he has spells of high pitched screaming due to trapped gas or reflux, which we can only resolve %50 of the time, the other times takes hours to calm him down with impossible combinations of experimenting.

I have this image of him screaming in the train to the airport, screaming a bit in the airport, screaming on the plane, screaming from the plane to the hotel, screaming in the hotel and at some point every day until the same thing on the way home.
Obivously I dont think he will scream all the time at these sections, but for 30 minutes is enough to make it a horrible nightmare in my mind, when at home at least no one else has to be subjected to it and everything we could possibly need is there to hand including a comfortable bed which wouldnt be possible at all of the above points until the hotel at the end.

Am i being too anxious about it all or as i suspect pretty close to the experience we will be getting in to?
I don't know how my wife thinks that he will change suddenly just because we are on holiday, and i tried telling her i think its a bad idea.
Thoughts?

Soldato
I honestly don't understand why people do it. Our little girl is 4 months old and I have no intention of taking her abroad until her behaviour is predictable and she can appreciate where shes going.

Maybe I'm a misery but I see no benefit for our child or our own mental stability :) .

I plan to only do UK based holidays with ours. Although to be honest I think it might be partly down to my own current feelings on travelling abroad.

Man of Honour
Am i being too anxious about it all or as i suspect pretty close to the experience we will be getting in to?
I don't know how my wife thinks that he will change suddenly just because we are on holiday, and i tried telling her i think its a bad idea.
Thoughts?

It is what you make it basically. Yes, you may get moments you wish you never went, but if you have that mentality before you even set off, the baby will pick up on that. Be kind to your wife. We've had several foreign holidays, and for the most part they've been absolutely fine. In fact, I'd say the memories you create with your young family are better than when we travelled before the kids came along.

Soldato
Now , I speak from the position of somebody who has no children (And at my stage in life, unless I am very lucky, or very unlucky :p I am never going to have the possibility of ever having any either)

But.

If it was me, I would not want to take a child abroad before He/She was capable of acting as an individual (IE 3+)

The chances of anything going pear shaped are admittedly small, but the consequences are potentially devastating.

There is really no gain I can possibly think of that would justify the risk.! (A couple of weeks in the Sun! Really, No!)

Associate
My wife is pushing hard that we go on holiday abroad with our first child, he is 6 weeks old now and will be 4/5 months old when the time she suggests arrives.. I'm glad i found this thread because I'm secretly dreading it.
At the moment he has spells of high pitched screaming due to trapped gas or reflux, which we can only resolve %50 of the time, the other times takes hours to calm him down with impossible combinations of experimenting.

It gets easier (everyone tells you this and it's annoying as hell but it's also true). The first 2-3 months can be very difficult. I expect your wife is finding it really hard and wants something to look forward to (it's easy to blame yourself when babies are difficult, then you get a double hit of sleep deprivation and self doubt). If she's saying she wants it, I'd listen to her.

Soldato
I wonder how many of the people in this thread who are dead against babies flying are actually parents?

Gotta love parenting advice from others :D

A good pair of noise cancelling headphones usually does the trick

Soldato
I wonder how many of the people in this thread who are dead against babies flying are actually parents?

Gotta love parenting advice from others :D

A good pair of noise cancelling headphones usually does the trick

That's the point, we aren't parents and as such we don't want to listen to a crying baby on a flight we've paid a lot of money for just because you decided to have a child and go on holiday. I wonder how you'd feel if you went to a cinema and someone decided they wanted to bring their screaming child into it for the duration of the film.

Permabanned
Trying to work out what we need and don't need. There are kid/family friendly hotels but they seem to cater for 1year and over with activity groups etc. As my daughter isn't old enough, I doubt we'd use many of the facilities that we'd be paying for as part of the room rate.

We used to just pick a rough area, then look on Airbnb for a place that looked interesting.

Any travel tips, were looking at Croatia at the moment.
**** you for taking an 8 month old on a plane and turning the flight into hell for everyone else.

Drive down to Cornwall or something.

Caporegime
Usually other people who have had kids in their live help out or show some care on the plane in my experience. My 2 yr old is used to it now and has no issues but the first few flights were a bit tricky as it’s such an alien environment to a lot.

Rarely notice other babies when I fly alone now and if I do i don’t judge.

Interesting responses in here though which probably sums up the thoughts of most public I guess :(. We were all babies once lol.

Associate
That's the point, we aren't parents and as such we don't want to listen to a crying baby on a flight we've paid a lot of money for just because you decided to have a child and go on holiday. I wonder how you'd feel if you went to a cinema and someone decided they wanted to bring their screaming child into it for the duration of the film.

Cinemas generally expressly ban noisy customers, airlines don't.

People aren't breaking any rules bringing a baby on to plane, so you can't really complain when they do. Your expectation of what sort of experience you're entitled to doesn't tally with reality, that's not the fault of people with children who have also paid a lot of money. You can charter a flight if you want to set out your own conditions.

Babies can be annoying, but nothing ear plugs can't fix. All of my worst experiences on public transport have been down to adults, who are often noisier than kids.

Soldato
As said in other threads.

One has a legal obligation to keep ones Dog under control

But strangely, one does not have the same duty of care as regards to children.

Go Figure?

:/

Soldato
I would gladly pay a premium for flights that were guaranteed to have no screaming infants on them, I have no desire to have my vacations book-ended by hours of screeching in a confined space. As this currently isn't an option, I prefer taking holidays in places that don't require flying :p

Soldato
I don’t have to spend 12 hours in your lounge at home with your crying baby though. Having had the misfortune of several long haul flights next to babies who cried virtually the whole time, it really isn’t pleasant and leaves you completely exhausted when you arrive at your destination. Leaving aside the argument of whether or not it’s selfish for your fellow passengers, I find it incredibly surprising the parents are willing to put themselves through that experience in the first place as it must be even worse for them than it is for me. If you insist on taking your baby on holiday, at least choose a short haul flight.

If you don't want to see or hear things sit in your own house. Don't expect people to live their lives how you expect them to because you aren't capable of accepting the lives of others around you.

Either that or buy noise cancelling headphones. Simple.

Self entitled huffing and puffing idiots are the biggest blight on flights. More than any kid.

Soldato

I have this image of him screaming in the train to the airport, screaming a bit in the airport, screaming on the plane, screaming from the plane to the hotel, screaming in the hotel and at some point every day until the same thing on the way home.
Obivously I dont think he will scream all the time at these sections, but for 30 minutes is enough to make it a horrible nightmare in my mind, when at home at least no one else has to be subjected to it and everything we could possibly need is there to hand including a comfortable bed which wouldnt be possible at all of the above points until the hotel at the end.

Thoughts?

This is normal child behaviour. Don't put your life on hold because small minded idiots exist. You'll find that the kid will be more settled by that age anyway and will cry for specific things rather than everything.

Back
Top Bottom