H55 onto a GTX1080FE DIY style

Associate
Hello all, my first post and I thought I would share what I did to my 1080 as it was getting a bit old.

It started when I decided to get a NZXT G12 and mount a Corsair closed loop onto it as it did get a bit hot during BF:V sessions. This was an easy enough job (apart from being a bloke and not reading the compatibility list on NZXT website and ordering the wrong type of AIO to start).

After re ordering a correct type of loop I quickly put the G12 onto my GPU with a nice new coating of thermal paste and it worked great. Idles were at 26c and never saw past 55c in game. (Hwinfo used to log load/temp).

The trouble I had is the G12 on the bare PCB with no back plate or led made me a bit sad if I'm honest.. I get the FE cards are a bit marmite.. but I personally liked the industrial look of the card and the led logo in green was missed.

This was the results with the G12.!
http://imgur.com/gallery/K0wyVy1

So then I had the thought could I mount the H55 into the FE body so I can have my cake and eat it too. The results were quite pleasing to me as I have the afore mentioned cooling and it still looks pleasing to me.
I did not do a guide as I'm not sure it's a project anyone would want to do but if people are interested I did document most of the work I did with pics and could put a guide together STAZEU6.jpg
The finished card.

qnKGLZR.jpg
Installed in my case.

The process.
https://m.imgur.com/gallery/OKHaBic

If I have posted this on the wrong section I am sorry and Mods feel free to move it.

Regards

Joel.

Last edited:
Associate
Impressive mod! So you totally removed the NZXT G12 and installed the Corsair H55 directly to the GPU using original H55 fittings? Did you need any kind of mount or adapter?

Associate
OP
Wow, that involves way more skill than what I'm capable of!

It was really easy if you have a Dremel type tool with a cutting disc. The top plate is aluminium and cuts like butter. If you wanna do it let me know I can fire over a template for you to cut around. And the rest is bits that come with the aio.

Associate
It was really easy if you have a Dremel type tool with a cutting disc. The top plate is aluminium and cuts like butter. If you wanna do it let me know I can fire over a template for you to cut around. And the rest is bits that come with the aio.

Thanks a lot for the kind offer. I don't have the same graphics card though. At the moment I'm making do with the antique Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X and also a Ryzen 2400G APU in a separate machine.

I've been eyeing up the AIO 2080 Ti hybrid cards, but have thus far managed to resist the temptation to buy one. Was also looking at the seemingly poor fit the G12 is for the 2080 Ti FE (due to VRM placement). Then I stumbled upon your mod and had a sit back and admire the handiwork!

Associate
OP
Thanks a lot for the kind offer. I don't have the same graphics card though. At the moment I'm making do with the antique Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X and also a Ryzen 2400G APU in a separate machine.

I've been eyeing up the AIO 2080 Ti hybrid cards, but have thus far managed to resist the temptation to buy one. Was also looking at the seemingly poor fit the G12 is for the 2080 Ti FE (due to VRM placement). Then I stumbled upon your mod and had a sit back and admire the handiwork!

Thanks for the kind words. Quite rare on the internet to see a positive response

I have been looking at RTX 2080 a(not Ti)if I can find a FE I will do the same I think except will put a 240mm rad instead. Watch this space...

Associate
Thanks for the kind words. Quite rare on the internet to see a positive response

I have been looking at RTX 2080 a(not Ti)if I can find a FE I will do the same I think except will put a 240mm rad instead. Watch this space...

Looking forward to seeing the result!

Back
Top Bottom