New fiesta ST (1.5l)

Soldato
My wife is looking at changing to one of these from her mk 3 focus st. I'm quite keen to get an st 3 with performance pack, but either they havent sold many or they just dont get listed. Is there anything that makes them obviously different from a 'normal' st? By that i mean looking at pictures on the internet.

Cheers

Associate
I had a look at them recently and asked the salesman about the performance pack - he claimed that (from his sales) about 80% sold have it. We checked their build queue and all their cars had it ticked, with most used having it too. So, I think it's just something that gets missed off the listings?

Difference between ST and non, or st3 and st2? ST3 has red calipers and 18" alloys as std, but they're both options for st2. From memory, i think that's it for outside. Inside the ST3 has better seats as std. Weirdly, i seem to remember the st2 having upgraded audio with option to upgrade the nav, but the st3 having better nav with the option for audio?!?

https://www.ford.co.uk/content/dam/guxeu/uk/documents/feature-pdfs/FT-All_New_Fiesta.pdf

Soldato
Test drove one the other week, was pretty good. Don't think you can tell unless it's listed in the advert. You used to be able to check on specs on FordETIS with a reg number but I think the site has all changed. To check when you're at the car, you can just cycle through the dash menu until you get to Launch Control.

Soldato
Test drove one the other week, was pretty good. Don't think you can tell unless it's listed in the advert. You used to be able to check on specs on FordETIS with a reg number but I think the site has all changed. To check when you're at the car, you can just cycle through the dash menu until you get to Launch Control.

You can still do this on ETIS.

Soldato
OP
I know it also has shift lights (which since buying a bmw with them has made me childish and want to light them up). But i wasnt sure if i could tell just by looking on-line, fords website for instance is pretty poor at giving details.

Soldato
I went down to my local dealer to have a look at these last week and now I'm seriously considering one, especially since I booked a test drive on a new Polo GTI and travelled half way across the city to be told they had none available for test drive :confused:

Soldato
As someone ardently sticking to five cylinders and refusing to "upgrade" to a newer Focus ST/RS with a four, I just can't get past the fact that these are three cylinder. Yes, I know that's my own fault and it's stupid, as apart from that I think they are cracking cars. I think if I was buying one though i'd have the previous gen 1.6T as that way you don't pay the "new car" depreciation that you would with the 1.5T.

Soldato
Probably looking to do similar at the end of the year myself. Especially after seeing the list price of the new MK4 Focus ST (IE. £31,995). The Focus ST used to be not only a decent motor, but very affordable compared to its rivals (even more so after discounting). Think at this sort of money I'd rather buy an RS Megane trophy.

Also looks like they are only bringing in one model of the Focus ST this time round (IE. no ST1/2/3) and it's absolutely stuffed with every option under the sun.

I found the ride in the Fiesta ST to be a bit firmer than my current car (MK3 Focus ST post facelift) but not something that I couldn't live with. Otherwise it was a hoot to drive.

04S6dZk.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
Yea no way I'd pay that for an ST. RS all day long. They don't cost much more to run and and it'll hold it's value far better too.

The Fiesta ST is more fun though. It's just right for UK roads.

Last edited:
Soldato
Probably looking to do similar at the end of the year myself. Especially after seeing the list price of the new MK4 Focus ST (IE. £31,995). The Focus ST used to be not only a decent motor, but very affordable compared to its rivals (even more so after discounting). Think at this sort of money I'd rather buy an RS Megane trophy.

Also looks like they are only bringing in one model of the Focus ST this time round (IE. no ST1/2/3) and it's absolutely stuffed with every option under the sun.

I found the ride in the Fiesta ST to be a bit firmer than my current car (MK3 Focus ST post facelift) but not something that I couldn't live with. Otherwise it was a hoot to drive.

04S6dZk.jpg

I went to have a quick poke round the Focus ST earlier this week - utterly uninspiring in the looks department inside and out if I'm honest.

If it drives amazingly well it's still the sort of car I'd consider at a couple of years old, but unless it sheds about 35% of its value in that time I doubt it'll be within a budget i will be shopping in!

Last edited:
Soldato
Yea no way I'd pay that for an ST. RS all day long. They don't cost much more to run and and it'll hold it's value far better too.

The Fiesta ST is more fun though. It's just right for UK roads.

Indeed.

Almost bought an RS last time round, but went for another Focus ST, as the deal was amazing. Makes me wish I'd bought the RS now!

Tend to agree with your comment re the new Fiesta ST. Performance felt about the same as the ST (similar power to weight ratio I suspect). But the Fiesta felt a lot sharper to drive and just felt more "alive". And as I live in a sparsely populated area, that is nothing but reasonably maintained B-roads (can't even think where the nearest speed bump would be), I suspect it could be the perfect next car.

TBC

Soldato
I owned the previous gen Fiesta and Focus STs, the handling characteristics are pretty similar between them all. The Fiesta ST feels exactly like a light Focus ST and with an extra 15-20hp in the Fiesta the performance is about the same (around £600ish for the MP215 tune, which is dealer fit and warrantied).

The only reason to have the Focus over the Fiesta is if you need more space tbh. But the modern Fiesta isn't exactly cramped inside. It's almost as big as the mk1 Focus :p

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom