Parking fine dispute amongst friends

Soldato
I have a friend who ended up parking in a spot that got him a fine. He also gave another of our friends a lift to the venue. After returning to the car and seeing a PCN on the windscreen, he immediately told his passenger/our friend that he needs to split the fine with him.

Of course, on a legal basis he doesn't have to at all. On a moral basis, I don't think he should either - he played no role in determining where to park but the driver is insistent that he should.

Would you expect your passengers to split the parking fine?

Soldato
Me in the position of the driver: I'd be disappointed if my friend didn't offer to go in on the fine with me, but I wouldn't directly ask.

Me in the position of the passenger: I would offer to go halves.

I suppose the situation around giving a lift could have an influence on the decision though

Soldato
OP
I suppose the situation around giving a lift could have an influence on the decision though

The passenger doesn't have a licence but wanted to come along.

What car was it?

An old Renault Clio, not that it matters unless you're inferring that if he had a nice car, paying the fine himself shouldn't be a problem?

They're both on decent salaries and so the car doesn't have much of a bearing on the decision either way.

Soldato
If I was the passenger and the driver got a parking ticket while doing me a favour, I’d offer to pay half without even having to think about it.

This. Also if someone is doing me a favor, if I had any doubt on if they are parked in the right spot id say something

Soldato
I have a friend who ended up parking in a spot that got him a fine. He also gave another of our friends a lift to the venue. After returning to the car and seeing a PCN on the windscreen, he immediately told his passenger/our friend that he needs to split the fine with him.

No way would I ask the passenger to pay half the fine, what a total dick move.

mjt

mjt

Soldato
Me in the position of the driver: I'd be disappointed if my friend didn't offer to go in on the fine with me, but I wouldn't directly ask.

Me in the position of the passenger: I would offer to go halves.

This. Except for first scenario I'd call my mate a **** and remind him about it every time I see him.

Associate
driver should have got a proper parking spot, if i was the friend i would pay for any parking pay and display charges, but not pay a fine for parking illegally that's just silly.

Caporegime
I’ve been in a similar situation as the driver, and I paid the fine with no expectation on my friends to cough up.

Seems a bit weird to ask passengers to contribute to a parking fine unless one of them specifically told you to park there or something.

Soldato
What if the driver gets pulled over and fined for dodgy tyres? What if the driver got a speeding ticket? Would he expect the passenger to pay half of that too?

You drive the car badly, you park the car badly, you maintain the car badly, the buck (literally in this case) stops with you.

A mate might offer to pay half, but unless he forced you to park where it was illegal, it would be a dick move to take the money, and an even bigger dick move to ask for it.

Soldato
Seems bizarre to blame anyone but the driver unless the passengers insisted on parking there.

I take risks on occasion when parking, sometimes with passengers. I would never ask them to pay for a fine.

Also is it a PCN from the council or a private parking ticket?

Soldato
OP
Seems bizarre to blame anyone but the driver unless the passengers insisted on parking there.

I take risks on occasion when parking, sometimes with passengers. I would never ask them to pay for a fine.

Also is it a PCN from the council or a private parking ticket?

Council issued.

Caporegime
The driver sounds like a tool and the supporting cast aren't faring much better. What a difficult situation to resolve, how on earth will our young adventurers fight their way out of this one!

Tune in next week for more "GD brain-wrongs and their awful life events" ...

Back
Top Bottom