Soldato
Some of them, yes, but not usually at will unless they were wealthy. For example, a sailor on a merchant's trading ship might be well travelled, even abroad (there was a lot of international trade), but they wouldn't be travelling where they chose when they chose. Although they might well get some time spare in a trading port, which would probably be at least a fair sized town (by the standards of the time, when a few thousand people was a big city) with a dentist.

We've had this conversation before. The Crusades involved large numbers of people travelling very far afield. You could easily have someone or several someones in a medieval village who had been to Spain or even Jerusalem. Port cities like London saw large volumes of foreign trade. Then there were regional wars meaning many people had travelled across some quite wide ranges of the land. The popular image of a medieval village is that the people there are born, die and have little awareness of the outside world. The reality was that people were far more travelled than most expect. I don't know why you feel the need to try and contradict that. It's well established.

True, but how often would one be stopping at or near your village?

They'd probably stop at the nearest town quite often, actually. And most villages had very close connections to their nearest town - farmers and traders would travel there often.

Maybe, although it would be better for their business to not do so. A dentist who could pull teeth efficiently and with as little pain as possible could charge more and would probably get more work too. People tend to prefer to be good at their trade, anyway. But medical knowledge in medieval England (or anywhere else at the time) was quite limited. There would be a risk of infection and treatments to prevent or treat it were of limited effectiveness. Also, as you say, cost was a factor. Pay for the dentist, probably pay for somewhere to stay overnight, probably pay for some sort of aftercare product that you hope will prevent infection (and might - some plants do have antibacterial properties)...it was coin you would probably prefer to spend on something else (assuming you had they money). Oh, and pay for the booze to get drunk enough to dull the pain :) There might be other forms of painkiller available, but alcohol would probably be cheaper and safer.

I was making a joke based on the popular image of dentists.

Man of Honour
We've had this conversation before. The Crusades involved large numbers of people travelling very far afield. You could easily have someone or several someones in a medieval village who had been to Spain or even Jerusalem. Port cities like London saw large volumes of foreign trade. Then there were regional wars meaning many people had travelled across some quite wide ranges of the land. The popular image of a medieval village is that the people there are born, die and have little awareness of the outside world. The reality was that people were far more travelled than most expect. I don't know why you feel the need to try and contradict that. It's well established.

It certainly isn't well established that most people in the middle ages travelled abroad at will. Not for any reason, let alone to see a dentist.

You can't really be arguing that people went on crusade to see a dentist. That would be silly.

I even stated, very clearly, "there was a lot of international trade". How do you interpret that as contadicting the idea of international travel?

You're claiming that I am contradicting the idea that a non-trivial amount of travel existed in medieval Europe and that international travel existed. I am not. I haven't written anything like that. I have repeatedly referred to travel, national and international. Particularly for high and late medieval England, which had a lot of international trade, but international trade existed long before then. People in southern Britain were probably trading with the Phoenicians, for example.

As for the crusades you keep mentioning as if it proved your claim that many people travelled extensively to see a dentist : 1) They didn't exist until well past halfway through the medieval period and (2) they weren't happening the majority of time during the part of the medieval period in which they did exist.

I'll quote myself again. Can you make a counter-argument to something I've actually written?

The average person could probably spare a couple of days to travel to and from the nearest town with a dentist and a serf would probably be allowed to leave their lord's manor for it. An average person, free or serf, might even live close enough to walk there, get treated and walk back in a day. But even so, it would still be true that "dentistry in medieval England was hardly impressive and prevention was a far better option."

You've whipped up this whole thing from this statement:

Even without the widespread belief that diseases could be caused by bad smells, medieval people would have taken care of their teeth. It's not like there was a dentist in every village and even if there had been, dentistry in medieval England was hardly impressive and prevention was a far better option.

That does not mean "there wasn't any international travel and very little travel at all".

Man of Honour
Lets begin with you finding anywhere I've said that.

I was talking about dentists in the middle ages and made a single comment about how there wasn't a dentist in every village. You went on about people travelling abroad as if you were proclaiming a decisive argument debunking my position. That only makes sense if you're arguing that people travelled abroad to see a dentist, i.e. at will and not as a soldier or sailor, because the context was going to a dentist.

If you care to try to counter anything I've actually written about the middle ages, feel free. How about we do that next?

Back
Top Bottom