Disappointing experience with Switch

Associate
Just wanted to rant somewhere, bought a Switch - exciting times, first Nintendo console really, 4 days in it stops charging - did some testing and I'm 99% sure its just the charger thats faulty, the console charges fine off my USB C phone charger.

Only option is to return the entire unit to Nintendo, who then say it would be replaced, now my partner has put a lot of time into the pokemon game so far and I'm disappointed to see the only way to backup a save game is with their paid online subscription, but no big deal I have twitch prime and theres an offer on there atm for 3 months free but Pokemon doesn't support cloud saves?

So no way to back up the game and no way to just replace the faulty part, have told them I would prefer the refund, rant over.

Caporegime
Thats not good on Nintendos part

Well it’s not a pc or the same platform, I don’t think you can hook up a PS4 and do the same either.

Anyway...it does suck but imagine those who lost Zelda progress before they brought in cloud saves! 4 days Pokemon progress lost, I’d consider yourself lucky tbh.

Nintendo needs to pull their finger and implement cloud saves for all games.

Associate
OP
Well it’s not a pc or the same platform, I don’t think you can hook up a PS4 and do the same either.

Anyway...it does suck but imagine those who lost Zelda progress before they brought in cloud saves! 4 days Pokemon progress lost, I’d consider yourself lucky tbh.

Nintendo needs to pull their finger and implement cloud saves for all games.

No but on a PS4 or Xbox you can just copy save games to USB for example, I'm not sure why they are so restrictive but it just puts me off the console entirely

Associate
OP
I have considered just buying a new power adaptor myself, but my partner has already said she doesn't really want to play it anymore knowing save games are so easily lost, plus I feel like a sucker spending more money on a charger having only bought the console last week ya know?

Associate
OP
Funnily enough since I said I would prefer a refund Nintendo have changed their mind and are now offering to send a new charger - Still not sure I want to invest time playing anything knowing there is no way to back any of it up

Soldato
Firstly, you can back up saves using cloud saves on Switch Online, I think?

Secondly, where did you buy it from? You'll have a contract with the shop in addition to a warranty via Nintendo - it would be quicker just to pop in store and get them to sort it out, and kick up a fuss if they refuse to just give you a new charger.

Associate
OP
Firstly, you can back up saves using cloud saves on Switch Online, I think?

Secondly, where did you buy it from? You'll have a contract with the shop in addition to a warranty via Nintendo - it would be quicker just to pop in store and get them to sort it out, and kick up a fuss if they refuse to just give you a new charger.

Firstly, yeah you're right but certain games are excluded (including pokemon)

Secondly, Bought it from Nintendo direct which is now feeling like a mistake to be fair

Associate
Firstly, yeah you're right but certain games are excluded (including pokemon)

Secondly, Bought it from Nintendo direct which is now feeling like a mistake to be fair

Buying from a store meaning the retailer is responsible for at least 1yrs warranty is one of the major benefits. This is why high street shops need to stay open as they offer a lot of direct benefits to the buyer.

Have always bought from a retailer if its a console and OcUK if its PC :p.

Shawrey

FTM

FTM

Soldato
seems pretty shady to be honest that you can save some games online free but the most popular games force you to have a subscription of face the consequences of a hardware failure

Soldato
but my partner has already said she doesn't really want to play it anymore knowing save games are so easily lost

If I was in your shoes, I’d just ask for the refund. Sounds like it won’t get played much/if at all, when you get a replacement anyways.

Which is a shame cause it’s a great console. I’ve had mine since launch and it’s served me well so far. I think you just got unlucky :(

Soldato
seems pretty shady to be honest that you can save some games online free but the most popular games force you to have a subscription of face the consequences of a hardware failure

You can only use cloud saving if you have an online sub it's just that some games do not allow it even if you do sub. Most do but there are some exceptions.

Soldato
so it saves only to the actual device storage with no way to get to it?

Correct. You can copy your SD content from one card to another but the saves are stored locally, which, as far as I know, you can't access.

Nintendo's explanation revolves around people abusing/cheating with cloud saves in games like Splatoon 2, Dark Souls and Pokemon. For instance in Splatoon 2 you could lose progress with a bad run in game, then exit the game and reload the cloud save to gain it back again. There is more to it than that (look up some of the creative ways that Dark Souls players abuse cloud saving on PC). I'm not convinced that they can't find some sort of compromise and maybe one day they will. For now, it is what it is.

Back
Top Bottom