Bonjour, hola and a good old fashion hello.

Associate
Afternoon all,

I signed up initially because friends kept linking to Members Market posts and I couldn't see them. After signing up, I still couldn't see them. You have rules in place, I understand that, but I did chuckle anyway...

Real name is Mike, previous alter ego was The Scientist, now known as DropEightyFour.

I've been into PC stuff since the days of CS 1.2 and into general computer tinkering since Bubble Bobble on the Spectrum. I'm also in to photography, cars, music production and DJ'ing.

Hopefully not breaking any rules by sharing these, but thought some people may be curious.

My Instagram:

https://www.instagram.com/jollygoodphotography/?hl=en

My mixes:

https://www.mixcloud.com/dropeightyfour/

And some recent tracks I've made:

https://dropeightyfour.bandcamp.com/

I'm friends with a few members on here already, but thought it was about time I signed up and got involved.

Cheers :)

Soldato
Clicked in the new members forum by accident - i usually live in the PC Upgrade Advice Forum and General Hardware Forum - and occasionally drop into General discussion to get outraged/laugh at the stream of knee jerk consciousness that some members post there. Suggest, 'reading the room', before posting on some of the threads - although the majority of members are great - even if opinions differ...

Anyway, welcome - glad i stumbled across your post, you've got a good eye - had a quick browse at your instagram and your mixcloud had fantastic comical timing! I clicked on the first track (IAHG Tribute Mix) - with my 8 year old kiddie on my lap sipping nonchalantly on a beer. Almost spat all over the screen while scrambling to hit the pause key (i think i spammed my whole keyboard for about 10 seconds, before any success). That track just jumps straight to the jugular doesn't it. I listened to some more when they all went to bed - i liked it - oddly, lyrically hypnotic given the content - but that feeling may have been mixed with relief that they only heard a few lines... :D

What's weirdly coincidental is that I was listening to Nick Cave's, Stagger Lee (great delivery if you've not heard it) yesterday and didn't realise it was coming out the speakers as well as my headphones - so my kids have given me a really serious telling off for the 'rude' music i listen to. Yours probably trumped 'Stagger Lee' for sheer **** repetitiveness and the speed in which it got Daddy in the **** with Mummy.

Welcome - and thanks for inadvertently livening up my evening.

Last edited by a moderator:
Associate
OP
Clicked in the new members forum by accident - i usually live in the PC Upgrade Advice Forum and General Hardware Forum - and occasionally drop into General discussion to get outraged/laugh at the stream of knee jerk consciousness that some members post there. Suggest, 'reading the room', before posting on some of the threads - although the majority of members are great - even if opinions differ...

Anyway, welcome - glad i stumbled across your post, you've got a good eye - had a quick browse at your instagram and your mixcloud had fantastic comical timing! I clicked on the first track (IAHG Tribute Mix) - with my 8 year old kiddie on my lap sipping nonchalantly on a beer. Almost spat all over the screen while scrambling to hit the pause key (i think i spammed my whole keyboard for about 10 seconds, before any success). That track just jumps straight to the jugular doesn't it. I listened to some more when they all went to bed - i liked it - oddly, lyrically hypnotic given the content - but that feeling may have been mixed with relief that they only heard a few lines... :D

What's weirdly coincidental is that I was listening to Nick Cave's, Stagger Lee (great delivery if you've not heard it) yesterday and didn't realise it was coming out the speakers as well as my headphones - so my kids have given me a really serious telling off for the 'rude' music i listen to. Yours probably trumped 'Stagger Lee' for sheer '****' repetitiveness and the speed in which it got Daddy in the **** with Mummy.

Welcome - and thanks for inadvertently livening up my evening.

A much more in-depth reply than I was expecting, haha!

Yes, sorry about that mix, it's rare that my music is so expletive-filled and I didn't consider that a family may end up playing it. I will actually put a warning on that and future mixes, just so people are aware. That first track certainly doesn't hold back - I've got a gig in May and I'm still 50/50 on whether it's acceptable to play that in a venue full of adults :D

I've been browsing forums for not far off 20 years, so I'm pretty careful on what I post these days - I upset a lot of people in my younger years with pointless arguments. Easier now to limit post count and make them worthwhile posts instead.

I'll check out that Nick Cave track, I'm not familiar with it.

Cheers for the welcome :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
I've got a gig in May and I'm still 50/50 on whether it's acceptable to play that in a venue full of adults :D
Play it! They're adults, and it's only an explicit poem about a woman angrily venting about a 'self-absorbed mummy's boy' (well, my take). It will probably be a real crowd-pleaser with at least ~50% of your core audience :D The other 50%, the '3D printed d***s', will probably spend the first couple of minutes realising that their girlfriends will quickly adopt the opening line as a new term of endearment.

I've been browsing forums for not far off 20 years, so I'm pretty careful on what I post these days - I upset a lot of people in my younger years with pointless arguments. Easier now to limit post count and make them worthwhile posts instead.
Yep, totally agree. I tend to give members the benefit of the doubt - as a lot can get lost in translation in a post (plus, i tend to steer clear of debates where brains have disengaged from mouths - life's too short). I'm actually far less tolerant in real life - as it's quicker to assess if you're dealing with a 'walking doughnut'.

RE: Nick Cave - I like it. It's awful, in a good way.

Great shout!
Yep, an accurate and succinct summary of that one.

I really, enjoy that continuous base line through headphones. And the lyrics are so fantastically outrageous it somehow works... :)

Back
Top Bottom