Parking fine dispute amongst friends

Soldato
How would the council you that you read or not read it?

What a bizarre defence.

Also totally wrong.

Otherwise everyone in the country would be using the “i never got the ticket mate” excuse.

Best you could hope for by doing this is a small extension on the reduced rate charge whilst they send you over the picture to prove the tocket was there and ask you to pay up or take it to court

Caporegime
Also totally wrong.

Otherwise everyone in the country would be using the “i never got the ticket mate” excuse.

Best you could hope for by doing this is a small extension on the reduced rate charge whilst they send you over the picture to prove the tocket was there and ask you to pay up or take it to court

I hope he won't open the CCJ letter too. It would be funny when he applies for a loan or mortgage to find out he gets declined.

Commissario
So if the fine was related to speeding, would you still split the cost?
A bunch of us were going to a radio rally a few years ago and the driver got flashed by a camera. We split the cost of his course and he's never, ever going to be allowed to forget it :D That's what good mates do.

Soldato
Appeal it through the council stating you didn't realise you couldn't park there. I did that once in Sheffield (I genuinely made a mistake but got ticketed before I could move the car) and the photo showed me under a do not park past this sign sign, with no double yellows. They let me off. Worth a shot, worst that will happen is they'll have to pay it anyway so why not try.

On topic, I wouldn't expect passengers to pay as it's the drivers responsibility to park correctly, however, the passenger could have noticed it wasn't a correct location too.

Man of Honour
Same, but the passenger/mate not offering to pay half is equally a dick move.

Likely the kind of dick friend that wouldn’t even think to offer petrol money when sponging a lift.

I must live in another Universe, first off, I wouldn’t park in a spot where I could incur a fine, and if I somehow made a mistake, and did park illegally, then I parked it, any fine is down to me.
Secondly, if I said, “I’m going to xxx city tomorrow, and someone said, “I left my car there Saturday night, any chance of a lift there, so I can pick it up?”, I’d take them, and wouldn’t even think of taking petrol money from them, much less asking for some.

No way would I ask the passenger to pay half the fine, what a total dick move.

Times 10.

Soldato
If the passenger applied peer pressure to park somewhere the driver though might incur a PCN, then I'd suggest they share the cost. Supidity of both should be shared.

Otherwise, why would the passenger pay? As a passenger I would feel sorry for the guy, but nothing more.

A2Z

A2Z

Soldato
Did the passenger tell the driver 'Yea park there, it's fine, I've checked the parking notice and you can park there no problems.' ?

That's the only scenario where the driver would be entitled to ask the passenger for money. Any other scenario where the driver made the decision to park there with no other influence, and did not check it himself, is all down to him and he should pay the whole fine.

Associate
Unless the passenger played a part in deciding to park there then it’s all on the driver. I would never ask someone to pay towards that.

Also never really ask for petrol for lifts either. I regularly give a lift to a m8 to football. I would be parking in the same place anyway, picking him up costs me maybe 20mins and about 10miles extra. He buys me a pint at the game but I would never ask for petrol for such a lift.

Caporegime
If I was the passenger and the driver got a parking ticket while doing me a favour, I’d offer to pay half without even having to think about it.

I guess it depends on the context, like if the driver wasn’t already going there and just went there to help the friend out then sure, in fact potentially all the fine.

If the driver was going there anyway then unless the friend perhaps suggested or instructed the driver to park there then I don’t think it is their fault, they might not have even realised or paid attention, that’s the drivers job.

Ditto to the driver incurring a speeding ticket.

Associate
This is moronic.

The driver is legally in charge of the car, he parked illegally, therefore he pays the fine. Giving someone a lift has no bearing on this what-so-ever.

Soldato
OP
We were all going to the same place. The passenger didn't tell him where to park.

I am still of the opinion that the driver should pay the fine himself. It would have been nice had the passenger offered to go halves but to demand the fine is split is still wrong imo.

Caporegime
This is moronic.

The driver is legally in charge of the car, he parked illegally, therefore he pays the fine. Giving someone a lift has no bearing on this what-so-ever.
Yeah I can't see why the passenger would be expected (or even asked) to help pay the fine. Ditto if he got a speeding ticket.

Did the passenger advise where to park? If no, then no way does he bear any responsibility.

Driver is driving; driver chooses where to park; driver chooses how fast to go... none of this is on the passenger at all, unless passenger is advising driver how to drive.

Back
Top Bottom