Oil filter wrench

Soldato
I've got the right sized socket for our IX35 (Cartridge, 27mm) and I've also got a hook type one and one with a metal band (as per @Rilot) that wraps around the filter. All useful.

Soldato
This, just find the correct one for your particular car.

This is one thing that has always puzzled me. How do some people manage to screw filters on so tight??

All the filters I have ever screwed on by hand, I have typically been able to unscrew by hand 12 months later.

By contrast, I actually had one once that had been screwed on so tight I had to remove the filter housing and take it to a machine shop! :eek: :mad:

Some of them are on so tight they must have been fitted by one of "King Kongs" closer relatives!
What part of "Screw on until contact and then another 3/4 turn" do people not understand! :confused:

I'm guilty of this. It's hard to define "hand tight", especially with the other variables such as how greasy my hands are and how good the filter access is.

So I just do it up by hand as tightly as I can :)

I'll be the one taking it back off anyway and a nudge with the chain type remover is all that's needed.

Associate
The last time I did an oil change on a "new" car was the other halfs Fiesta Mk7. Had to use a 36" breaker bar and a socket to get the damn thing off... Oh, and my 250nm impact wrench struggled with the sump plug after a long time struggling by hand.

Clearly serviced by some cack handed gorilla last time!

Soldato
Funnily enough I also had issues removing a sump plug from my MK7 Fiesta a few years back. Ended up rounding off the 13mm head which made things interesting. I had to start filing it down until I could eventually mash a 12mm socket onto it but it came undone eventually :D

Soldato
OP
I'm guilty of this. It's hard to define "hand tight", especially with the other variables such as how greasy my hands are and how good the filter access is.

So I just do it up by hand as tightly as I can :)

I'll be the one taking it back off anyway and a nudge with the chain type remover is all that's needed.

Yea exactly what I do, hand tight as hard as I can without using any tools.

Normally can get it off relatively easy, but the Volvo was done at a garage last plus the access is tight, I'm not looking forward to that one

Best one is my motorcycle (sv650) plus even more lazy I pay extra for the oil filters with the bolt head on the end.

Soldato
Yea exactly what I do, hand tight as hard as I can without using any tools.

Normally can get it off relatively easy, but the Volvo was done at a garage last plus the access is tight, I'm not looking forward to that one

Best one is my motorcycle (sv650) plus even more lazy I pay extra for the oil filters with the bolt head on the end.

Well the consequences of not doing it up tightly enough are oil everywhere and potential engine damage, whereas if it's a bit tight you'll have your tools to hand because you're doing the oil change anyway.

Soldato
OP
I use one of these: https://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/p/...-tools/oil-filter-wrenches/?SEAAK644&0&t5_444
Doesn't destroy the filter and has proved reliable.

Hi,

I would like to thank you yet again for this bit of advice.

I went on ebay and and ordered one exactly like that, £11.52 in total.

A parcel turned up today, wide, very heavy box, I thought to myself, I dont remember ordering something that size??? Anyway, took it inside, took the black postage plastic off.

Found a Sealey premium full socket set with metal case (worth approx £150) with a receipt inside for an £11 oil filter removal tool.

:D

Soldato
OP
Associate
Mine just has an incineratable paper element but the wife's is the old metal can type and I just drift it loose by tapping a hammer on a long flatblade screwdriver on the crimed seam edge. Just get it at the right andgle to make a dint that the screwdriver tip can sit in and then angle it at say 45˚ and tap tap tap it turns round 1mm at a time until loose enough to do by hand. It was only really a problem the first time as other people do them too tight. I just lightly grease the threads and o-ring and do it up until contact is made +1/4 a turn so usually it is loose enough for me the next time to undo by hand.

Associate
If you don't have the oil filter removal tool try a leather belt, wrap it round 3-4 laps and pull.
It will unscrew the filter 9 times out of 10.

Just remember to clean the belt before you pop it back in your trousers.

Soldato
Just as an aside.

When replacing the paper element filters retained by a plastic cap.

Only ever use the correct tool for unscrewing the plastic cap.

Using anything Anything other than the correct tool (EG strap wrench/mole grips/whatever)to unscrew a plastic cap can result in damage which can result in the cap cracking or splitting resulting in a catastrophic oil leak, possibly even some time later, If this happens while driving you can be in for a new engine within seconds!

Caps should be replaced if there is any evidence (Scratches etc) that an inappropriate tool has been used in the past.

Associate
This, just find the correct one for your particular car.

This is one thing that has always puzzled me. How do some people manage to screw filters on so tight??

All the filters I have ever screwed on by hand, I have typically been able to unscrew by hand 12 months later.

By contrast, I actually had one once that had been screwed on so tight I had to remove the filter housing and take it to a machine shop! :eek: :mad:

Some of them are on so tight they must have been fitted by one of "King Kongs" closer relatives!
What part of "Screw on until contact and then another 3/4 turn" do people not understand! :confused:

Yeah lol when did 1st oil change on car monkey that had done service on it for friend that had car before had do it up so tight "Contact and a dozen turns" when got it "loose"? it took stud/bolt out of block! so oil cooler came adrift what a job to get it back in tight enough with basic tools! had to jig and poke a short socket as needed long one and didn't expect to need a whole work shop to do an oil change! then found an imperial one to nip it tight! And to do sump plug had to use 3FT Breaker bar!!! For f sake lucky didn't strip sump when did it. Ham fisted ****.

Easiest way ive found to undo filter is when still hot/warm then apply hand pressure and keep it there often breaks bind and slowly turns.

Sump bolts i use Dowty Seals

Last edited by a moderator:
Associate
The last time I did an oil change on a "new" car was the other halfs Fiesta Mk7. Had to use a 36" breaker bar and a socket to get the damn thing off... Oh, and my 250nm impact wrench struggled with the sump plug after a long time struggling by hand.

Clearly serviced by some cack handed gorilla last time!

hi no it was a team effort! They put sump bolt in a large vice then picked the car up and turned it round and round!:p

Back
Top Bottom