2nd hand logitech z680s

Soldato
If the other forum is a better place to ask please let me know, but i guess folks look at both.

As per subject, I'm looking at getting some 2nd hand z680s. It's obviously an old system but reviews seem very good.

It'll be going into my pc, used for tv, film and gaming mostly, some music. I'm not an audiophile and don't need the best system in the world, just fancied surround sound. From what i understand I'll be able to plug these straight into my pc (using gigabyte x370 gaming 7 that has sound blaster x-fi i believe).

They're £60, which seems ok to me?

Thoughts/advice etc?

Soldato
As long as they are good working order, then I think it's a good price. If you want 5.1 speakers, then you'd have to pay quite a lot more to get anything as good. New 5.1 speakers for similar money will be rubbish in comparison.

As long as they come with the cables, then it would be easiest to use the 3.5mm analogue cables to connect to your motherboard.

Soldato
OP
The guy couldn't find the 3x3.5mm cable. Said if he does he'll bring it round to me. I've got two of them, but think I'll buy a longer triple cable later, since i plan on using it on an electric desk, so need decent length.

Just bought a spdif 3m cable from Amazon for £4.50 so i can use them on my xbox until the office is ready. If that works on the pc too, I'll not worry about the 3.5mm i guess.

Soldato
You could use the optical cable with the PC if your motherboard has it; but the reason I mentioned that using 3.5mm would be easier, is because of the way 5.1 works over SPDIF.

SPDIF was created in the 80s before 5.1 existed, so could only support stereo. That's where Dolby Digital and DTS came in and allowed 6 channel audio to be sent via SPDIF. That means the audio stream needs to be encoded with either Dolby Digital or DTS in order for 5.1 to work.

From the Xbox or PS4, that is no problem; as both consoles can output Dolby Digital with the majority of games. When it comes to PC though, that's where it becomes a bit more difficult. Unlike console games, very few PC games support Dolby Digital or DTS. That's why there have been many threads over the years with people buying a 5.1 speaker system, who say they can only get stereo when connecting to the motherboard's optical.

That is where Dolby Digital Live or DTS Connect, come in. They are real time 5.1 encoders that take any audio and encode so that it can be decoded by the receiver, or whatever is on the other end of the optical cable, as Dolby Digital or DTS. Trouble is that when it comes to the majority of motherboards, while all modern boards with an optical connection are hardware capable, the manufacturers remove Dolby Digital/DTS Connect on a software level on all but their premium boards. Most likely to save paying royalties on cheaper boards.

To cut a long story short; to get true 5.1 via optical, you'll need a sound card with Dolby Digital Live or DTS Connect.

Going to be easier and cheaper to buy 3x 3.5mm stereo cables if the guy can't find them.

Soldato
OP
Reading on forums, it appears that it should be possible to use the realtek audio to produce dolby and dts? I've got a gigabyte x370 k7, which has ALC1220, and supports Sound Blaster X-Fi MB5. Not sure how to enable it though (unless it's on by default).

Easy enough to get the triple cable if needed though.

Soldato
Reading on forums, it appears that it should be possible to use the realtek audio to produce dolby and dts? I've got a gigabyte x370 k7, which has ALC1220, and supports Sound Blaster X-Fi MB5. Not sure how to enable it though (unless it's on by default).

X-Fi MB5 doesn't seem to include DD/DTS encoders.
So if Gigabyte doesn't have DD Live in Realtek's drivers, you have to use analog connections.

Most likely to save paying royalties on cheaper boards.
Actually patent of original Dolby Digital 5.1/AC-3 codec expired in 2017, so it should be now free to use.
(later additions like Dolby Digital Plus etc still have valid patent)
But motherboard makers are more interested on useless marketing garbage like RGB bling bling...

Soldato

As Esat says, it doesn't look like X-Fi MB5 comes with Dolby Digital Live. I can't see any mention of it in the blurb on Creative's site, just SBX pro studio.

Hardware wise, the ALC1220 is capable, as pretty much all Realtek codecs are; it's just whether or not the manufacturer includes it in the software, or disables it.

You might have seen threads where people have managed to enable DDL/DTSC using cracked drivers. That is hit and miss though. It can work for a time, but in general, Windows updates scupper that working. I've seen quite a few people say they just went and bought a sound card, as it was much less hassle.

Soldato
OP
Bloody useless amazon basics cable doesn't actually fit :(. Got a refund, and no need to return it, but still a pain in the arse.

I'm happy enough to go with the 3x3.5mm, it's just the xbox one is a spdif, so it would have been nice to find a single solution, since devices won't be used at the same time (xbox would have been just this week basically). I'll probably pop into town tomorrow and see if I can't find a cable that fits properly.

Think I'll just bite the bullet and go for the triple for the pc.

Soldato
OP
Well I'm a moron apparently, being completely unfamiliar with optical cables, I assumed the amazon cable came ready to go. Turns out, there's a small rubber cap over the ends, remove that and it seems to fit (untested as yet, but fits snugly). I suspect I'm not the only idiot given the number of people complaining about it not fitting.

So now I'm back to potentially looking into cracked codecs, or 3x cables, don't see myself going for the sound card for the simple fact that the 3x cable is easier, and if I want the headphones as well, they can plug into the front port (or into the speaker system).

Associate
Well I'm a moron apparently, being completely unfamiliar with optical cables, I assumed the amazon cable came ready to go. Turns out, there's a small rubber cap over the ends, remove that and it seems to fit (untested as yet, but fits snugly). I suspect I'm not the only idiot given the number of people complaining about it not fitting.

So now I'm back to potentially looking into cracked codecs, or 3x cables, don't see myself going for the sound card for the simple fact that the 3x cable is easier, and if I want the headphones as well, they can plug into the front port (or into the speaker system).

Yep did that when i bought an optical cable and it didnt fit . spent ages looking at pictures of optical cables , in the end figured samsung tv's must use a proprietary plug , that was untill i read the instructions and step 1 was remove the rubber bung.

Soldato
As Esat says, it doesn't look like X-Fi MB5 comes with Dolby Digital Live. I can't see any mention of it in the blurb on Creative's site, just SBX pro studio.

Hardware wise, the ALC1220 is capable, as pretty much all Realtek codecs are; it's just whether or not the manufacturer includes it in the software, or disables it.

You might have seen threads where people have managed to enable DDL/DTSC using cracked drivers. That is hit and miss though. It can work for a time, but in general, Windows updates scupper that working. I've seen quite a few people say they just went and bought a sound card, as it was much less hassle.

I had to do this last year.

My home theatre system won’t output 5.1 unless the input from the PC is pre encoded for DD. The option is disabled in Realtek drivers, so I said screw that, uninstalled Realtek and bought a creative soundcard - works mint no complaints

Back
Top Bottom