Poll: Winter Is Coming - HBO's A Game of Thrones [READ WARNING]

Who will rule Westeros?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Soldato
What I find funny is that if the Night King literally didn't do anything at all he would have won the battle. :p What a truly rubbish ending for a massively hyped up mysterious character.

this.
i was pretty disappointed - he's was what? 10,000 year old weapon of destruction and he was killed this way? too cheap for me.

Associate
Epic episode.
However the Sky Q picture quality was horrendous and really took away from what was a truly fine bit of tv.
So much darkness, artefacts; it looked like a bad YouTube video in places.

Caporegime
this.
i was pretty disappointed - he's was what? 10,000 year old weapon of destruction and he was killed this way? too cheap for me.

The whole mystery and 7 and a half years of White Walkers just ended there.

The Nigh King and White Walkers has turned into time wasting side plot that does not affect the whole Game of Thrones at all since all the main characters are still alive!

Soldato
I am hoping that's there's more to this whole NK thing and Bran, otherwise it is very cheap to end it like this. Got to give them the benefit of the doubt until see the rest of the season.

If not then it was just a very drawn out 8 season long distraction.

Associate
this.

Wasnt the NK aim more to take out Bran, and the war just came part and parcel with that as he needed to get to Bran?

I like the point a few posts ago as to why she died at the end, once they have served their purpose to the lord of light they are no longer necessary. I'm thinking Jon will end up dead because of this point now as she brought him back from the dead. Maybe this point will happen at the end when Daenerys is restored to the throne if that is the path this is taking?

Man of Honour
Wasnt the NK aim more to take out Bran, and the war just came part and parcel with that as he needed to get to Bran?

I like the point a few posts ago as to why she died at the end, once they have served their purpose to the lord of light they are no longer necessary. I'm thinking Jon will end up dead because of this point now as she brought him back from the dead. Maybe this point will happen at the end when Daenerys is restored to the throne if that is the path this is taking?

And she’ll be pregnant.

Caporegime
I am hoping that's there's more to this whole NK thing and Bran, otherwise it is very cheap to end it like this. Got to give them the benefit of the doubt until see the rest of the season.

If not then it was just a very drawn out 8 season long distraction.

I'm wondering if there's a twist where the night king is/was the good guy and bran needs to die!

Soldato
I could barely see anything for the first 20 minutes but I did thoroughly enjoy this episode.

I expected more characters to die but I can understand why they didn’t kill off any of the fan favourites. After watching these characters for years now a death mid battle, followed by another would be underwhelming without change of pace - cue slow sad music which they never had time for.

Permabanned
Nice filler episode ;) Honestly felt like the Dothraki got a bit of a raw deal out of the whole affair but as a plot device to raise the sense of dread it worked nicely... How did Melisandre and the Hound escape? I thought they sacrificed themselves to save Aya? There was some nice scenes like with Tyrion and Sanaa in the crypts and conversely some bits which were a bit silly or didn't work so well. I did feel that the WW were very underutilized... They could have used the siege weapons a bit more I think.... Night king felt a bit Darth maul.... Theon's death should have been a bit more Boromir as opposed to a stupid charge... Overall was an entertaining watch.

Soldato
The episode peaked at the Dothraki bit. Dark, boring and predictable. Music was good.

The Gamespot review is spot on

Where do I even start? I guess with the fact that it seems like Game of Thrones, the show, has just missed the point of the entire series: that the squabbles between the great houses of Westeros are nothing compared with the unstoppable force of nature slowly bearing down on them from the wintery north. Game of Thrones was never supposed to actually be about the battle for the throne--it's supposed to be about the characters coming together to realize what was really important. The quintessential human fallacy, according to the brain of George R.R. Martin, is believing with absolute certainty that your personal battles are the most important fights that exist. It's a failure of perspective.

Now, with three episodes left, the series' ultimate threat died with a whimper, and its most short-sighted characters turned out to be right, their selfishness justified. As we saw in the preview for next week's episode, the survivors are going right back to their squabbles. They won the great war, but lost the thematic throughline. Why did any of this matter? To give Arya a cool hero moment? So Bran could keep doing absolutely nothing? So Theon could die pointlessly?

I hope this is wrong and the next three episodes contain something interesting.

This is the biggest missed the point I've read so far, in about 10k comments between here, reddit and other places.

The genius of GoT was precisely that it wasn't about the unstoppable force of nature, because that boils down to Goodies vs Baddies and we know who we want to win and who we want to die.

GoT subverted that by having people on both sides that you liked and disliked. During the battle for the wall, you had Jon vs Mance, who you didn't hate, plus Ygritte who you loved, plus Ser Alliser Thorne who you hated, your loyalties were split entirely, and that was made it engrossing.

Making the whole thing pivot around the NK would have worked only if it had proved the undoing of Cersei by having him fly to KL, which I thought would have been a decentish twist but in all I'm glad that line is over, albeit if it was very dark and only one or two B level characters died and no A level.

The statements in the Game Spot review are part of the very typical and normal desire for things to be black and white, but if GoT, or the books for the most part, had played it like that we would have all got bored and moved on ages ago. The good vs evil thing is boring and played. It's what let Harry Potter, LOTR and plenty of other fantasies down by having evil for evil's sake. No explanation or monologuing from the NK would have made you like him, probably not Cersei either to be fair at this point but I wouldn't count on Jaime at least not defecting and throwing doubts back on your loyalities once more.

That's the key to the genius of this show (and books), the thin little shred of doubt that makes you root for and against both sides.

The final episodes will be Cersei being devious, Jaime doing her in, Dany turning on Jon only for a dragon to back him and then Jon vs Dany to tie it all off. Might have missed another thread but Dorne is still unaccounted for right? Might see them come back in to bolster the north's decimated army against the Lannisters.

Back
Top Bottom