Mercedes AMG A35 or current A45

Soldato
I really want a c63, but the coupe isn’t practical for me, and the estate for me, ruins the looks.

So I’m now leaning on the A class. I’m aware there’s due to be an updated a45 now that the a35 is out, but I’m thinking of going second hand for my First AMG.

I’m reading the performance between the new a35 is on par with the now older a45.

There’s some nice night yellow editions available around the 35k mark at the moment.

What would you do? Help!!

Soldato
Why not get a C63 saloon if practicality is an issue?

It’s a shame as the C63 (especially the current shape) is one of the finest looking cars on the road. The A class is, well, an A class. Not even canard wings can disguise that.

Soldato
Why not get a C63 saloon if practicality is an issue?

It’s a shame as the C63 (especially the current shape) is one of the finest looking cars on the road. The A class is, well, an A class. Not even canard wings can disguise that.

And a C63 is just a C class. Not sure how that really matters on a used vs used basis.

Soldato
Soldato
Personally I wouldn't get the a45. Outdated interior and not a great looker
A35 not as good as a golf R or s3 but interior is better
RS3 in reach?
In conclusion buy a Ford focus rs

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
RS3 is about 40k but imo is better. That 5 cyclinder sounds very nice.

Also if you want traffic light GP bragging rights.

2m 16s in, RS3 leaves the A45 in the dust.

Matt compares them here.

Soldato
And a C63 is just a C class. Not sure how that really matters on a used vs used basis.

Should have clarified that the current C63 Coupé is the looker.

The difference at this budget is choosing between a turbo 4 pot and a naturally aspirated 6.2L V8. I don’t think the OP’s budget would quite stretch to the twin turbo 4L V8. Also AWD vs RWD.

Quite different prospects!

Soldato
How much do you like understeer though? Because if you also want it to handle don't get an Audi, get the Merc or Focus RS. A good chassis and suspension is more expensive than an engine.

Last edited:
Soldato
Soldato
How much do you like understeer though? Because if you also want it to handle don't get an Audi, get the Merc or Focus RS. A good chassis and suspension is more expensive than an engine.
This may be true for the prefacelift RS but the facelift has significant heft removed from the engine along with slightly wider tracks etc. It reviews as keeping up with A45 dynamically & then you have that fantastic 5 pot engine over the RS/A45 farty 4 pots

Man of Honour
Traffic light GP should be less relevant than how it goes around corners and how it feels when you are considering hot hatches. Always used to be anyway. Seems today it’s another sector that sits in the spreadsheet decision cycle.

Soldato
Soldato
Traffic light GP should be less relevant than how it goes around corners and how it feels when you are considering hot hatches. Always used to be anyway. Seems today it’s another sector that sits in the spreadsheet decision cycle.
You just reminded me

OP Polo GTI

/thread

LiE

LiE

Caporegime

I guess it depends on the type of driving and how far you push your car. The back roads here are very nice, but I rarely get time to go on them, and when I do I don't go full attack mode (too many cyclists!). So maybe the differences between various cars aren't as noticeable. Never been on a track either, which again I imagine the cornering ability becomes more apparent. For me 90% of my driving is typical town driving with dual carriage ways.

Pulling up at a set of traffic lights next to someone wanting a play is much more of an occurrence than blasting down a back road, that is for sure. Milton Keynes has some very fast roads and the roundabouts are fun, it can get quite playful between roundabouts and those long stretches.

Soldato

Indeed, they used to be the sector where fun was a priority. Now it's who can accelerate the hardest with the largest fart on DSG up shift, and with the most machine gun rounds on overrun. :D

Back
Top Bottom