Poll: Winter Is Coming - HBO's A Game of Thrones [READ WARNING]

Who will rule Westeros?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Soldato
I watched it through my pc and tuned the brightness and contrast so it was less dark but dark enough

I watched the first half on my phone while on a train in daylight so I mostly just heard things :D

Then finished off on my laptop with a poor TN screen. Definitely made a difference rewatching it on the TV with the lights off!

Bits I didn't like definitely don't get any better, such as very questionable battle tactics from the living. Few annoying Hollywood cop outs and biggest one is the whole NK thing, if this is how the whole White Walker story arc ends, it is very cheap and disappointing. Let's hope Bran's role is a bit more than just rolling eyes back and being cryptic. Still half a season to go and things can change quickly in this show.

Maybe whole White Walker thing is just a way to reset humanity and wicked ways of man so to speak. So now that NK is no more, Bran will continue on that legacy in some way at the end.

Also they had a few dozen guards around Bran but didn't spare anyone at all for the crypt?

As far as deaths go, I was probably most sad about Jorah and Beric. Theon suffered same fate as the Dothraki, pointlessly killed for cinematic effect.

Soldato
I'm assuming that while Bran was busy doing his creepy eye thing he was actually going back in time and doing something, either with the Night King (negotiating?) or with the Children. Otherwise his whole back in time thing is just pointless

v0n

v0n

Soldato
Twelve thousand years of preparation. Newborns turned into the "king's guard". Organised biggest army in the history of Westeros. Turned up for the battle with own ice dragon and unburnt powers.

Got ninja'd in the middle of your entire army and a tight circle of your generals by a pole vaulting kid with a short dagger 80 minutes into the night.

Soldato
If only Ned Stark was alive to have seen that LOTR level of plot armour survivability going on..........oh wait

I just re-watched it in a pitch black room and the lighting levels were perfect in true cinema mode. Amazing atmosphere in a dark room and on Now TV no artifacting. Totally transformed the experience.

Otherwise very very hard to watch in the day time though, even in dynamic mode with brightness up.

I always thought the NK and WWs could be supplementary to the main houses/throne plot and not the end game. I was still surprised so much was resolved though.

I presume this arc is done and no final episode plot twists with resurecting, restarting, timey wimey, old/new NK being created moments etc

Caporegime
Twelve thousand years of preparation. Newborns turned into the "king's guard". Organised biggest army in the history of Westeros. Turned up for the battle with with own ice dragon and unburnt powers.

Got ninja'd in the middle of your entire army and a tight circle of your generals by a pole vaulting kid with a short dagger 80 minutes into the night.

n00b

Soldato
I'm assuming that while Bran was busy doing his creepy eye thing he was actually going back in time and doing something, either with the Night King (negotiating?) or with the Children. Otherwise his whole back in time thing is just pointless

So far Brans entire existence has just been to be bait to lure the Night King and get lots of people killed

Soldato
D5WUxUDX4AAO397.jpg

Soldato
You can have grievances with how things panned out or choices but when most of your complaints can actually be explained fairly easily calling something, "the biggest steaming pile of BS I've ever seen" seems a bit hyperbolic...

Have a Snickers too.
Missed your typing there, so.

1) missed the giants too, picture was dark and awful, I'll rewatch when better quality becomes available
2)old nan mentioned spiders, might of been nice to bring them out at the end. Also no mammoths or did I miss them in the dark too lol
3) when nk grabbed bran worging he was marked, three eyed raven confirmed, he had a good hold of arya hence marked too, should mean something
4) they seemed surrounded, nk was there with quite a few white walkers, how did arya who seemed really scared in the castle with a few undead milling around, sneak past, an army and basketball dunk the main man
5) they have been very prepared in previous eps, like with the chains to raise viserion, why not spear throwing at the dragons again?
6)they have been readying for what 1000 years? Winter is coming, has been a North saying for how long, the undead don't seem to be in a hurry, they have been in contact with the roaming nights watch since s1 ep1, years and years ago, again no rush, just slow march forward for the horde it seems
7) the horde of undead are one of his major weapons, why would he not raise the living who fall

I just don't see how a pregnant queen and a pirate make for a better ending than the undead built up for 8 seasons as mankind's no1 enemy lol

Caporegime
Absolutely loved it. Was so tense all the way through. I don’t care that it’s not all clever and convoluted like some seem to want, it’s just jolly good telly.

I watched it on my LED tv in a completely dark room and found the picture absolutely fine. Much better than I expected tbh.

You lot just need to eat more carrots.

Soldato
Sky Atlantic HD was abysmal to watch. Literally terrible pixelation, horrible ghosting and so dark you couldn't make much out with the other two issues combined.
Yeah, you do have to wonder if they bother viewing it internally before broadcasting that ***** quality. I’ve a brand new LG OLED C9 and it struggled to process the mess that was getting thrown at it into something half decent.
Also was it me, or was the sound incredibly muted/quiet. I had to really turn it up to get a ‘normal’ volume.

Caporegime
I'm wondering if there's a twist where the night king is/was the good guy and bran needs to die!

It would be interesting if it was like that.

Slightly more fanciful. This whole thing is because the NK just wanted some privacy. Perhaps we’ll have a flashback in a later episode... He’s sat on his throne one day, chain mail round his ankles reading the gossip column in the Wight Times, then a warged crow lands on his windowsill... he throws his newspaper at it and all you hear is “That’s the last ******* time!” and he goes off to mobilize his armies to get the 3ER... :p

Soldato
Missed your typing there, so.

1) missed the giants too, picture was dark and awful, I'll rewatch when better quality becomes available

Hard to miss the dead giant

2)old nan mentioned spiders, might of been nice to bring them out at the end. Also no mammoths or did I miss them in the dark too lol

Never noticed any of those

3) when nk grabbed bran worging he was marked, three eyed raven confirmed, he had a good hold of arya hence marked too, should mean something

Doubtful to mean anything now he’s dead

4) they seemed surrounded, nk was there with quite a few white walkers, how did arya who seemed really scared in the castle with a few undead milling around, sneak past, an army and basketball dunk the main man

She was trained by the many faced god/ assassins o do that type of stuff

5) they have been very prepared in previous eps, like with the chains to raise viserion, why not spear throwing at the dragons again?

NK did throw a spear, it missed

6)they have been readying for what 1000 years? Winter is coming, has been a North saying for how long, the undead don't seem to be in a hurry, they have been in contact with
the roaming nights watch since s1 ep1, years and years ago, again no rush, just slow march forward for the horde it seems

Maybe ts as simple as they can’t rush around everywhere

7) the horde of undead are one of his major weapons, why would he not raise the living who fall

He did,do that

I just don't see how a pregnant queen and a pirate make for a better ending than the undead built up for 8 seasons as mankind's no1 enemy lol

Did you even watch it lol

Soldato
Yesterday I watched end game and the last 2 episodes of Star Trek discovery, what a treat. Today I thought I was in for another treat, expectations through the roof.

What a load of rubbish. I can’t believe after such a brilliant series they messed this up so bad. My only hope is this is one of the characters dream and the real event will be the next episode. So disappointed........

Soldato
Overall it was a very enjoyable episode, lots of tension and I loved the way the battle unfolded and how the many different character stories within it were told. All very well handled. With one rather major exception ...

The Night King's demise was a really limp anticlimax. All that "winter is coming" buildup across 8 seasons and it comes down to a lazily written sequence you might see in any low budget action movie. Lame.

And yes, it was a little too dark and the sound levels seemed all over the place at times (a Sky Go issue perhaps?).

Back
Top Bottom