Platypus' Beginners Guide to Running

Underboss
Well, every runners worst nightmare came teue. I'm diagnosed with a stress fracture of lower tibia, no running for 6 weeks.

Came from no where just as I peaked and started taper. No warning signs. Haven't done anything different in training, haven't pushed volume or workouts harder. Doctors measured a discrepency in leg length which is a contributing factor but he admitted there is no clear evidence if custom for bed would help so is just an internet risk. I'm also getting done blood tests done as ththe may be a calcium's by vitamin D deficiency. I do have a dairy rich diet so it may be domethsom else that is leaching nutrients.

Frustrating because this was s very consistent training cycle that I was just cruising through without forcing. They say it is better to get to the start line 98% trained and healthy than overshooting to 102% and being injured or overtrained. I take that philosophy seriously. This cycle I feel like I was more like at 95% of training potential but the fee keu fitness tests indicated I was exceeding my marathon fitness goals. But I didn't feel like getting greedy and carried on. I didn't run more volumei ran less quality workouts, I had zero niggles, no pains, no aches, nothing. None of my earlier issues with hip flexors or plantar fascitis. I felt incredibly strong and healthy. The ttstrain load indicated I was training optimally, if anything undershooting potential. I've been bjbu at weekends so have tslen additional rest days and had slightly short weeks than in the past.
I have done several marathon cycles where I shave had to make a more careful balance and pull back , skipping workouts more frewfreque in respond to niggles in joints etc., And got to the start line healthy and happy i weaved s delicate path and listened to my body. This cycle I had zero iddue and wss estatic training was going perfectly without forcing it. Then bam, I just can't run.

Literally I felt slightly fatigued and muscles tight for a few days. Normally I rrcorec after 1-2 easy days but the d time I didn't. No pain, no ache, no niggle. But I thought it would be smart to take a rest day and then go back with a slow recovery run. I éoterlite thought I would take 1day off running and be back at it (albeit no workout goes few days). But next day after rest day things seemed worse do I skipped running, next day worse again and again. Then I knew something was wrong. Was annoying going through useless doctors but in the end got to see an official sports Dr of the Olympic team. Will be working with him on rehab.

So, now I'm drinking at a bar of s hotel at the excel center . Might pick up my shirt and donate to charity before heading down town for drinks.

First serious injury and first DNS in ,5 years of running. Last injury of any kind was 2 years ago and was't really running related (twisted ankle in rocky path) in the last 2 years barely a niggle.

ah man ! :(

I feel for you D.P.
sorry to here this, that is a runners nightmare !!

Soldato
Well, every runner's worst nightmare came true. I'm diagnosed with a stress fracture of lower tibia, no running for 6 weeks.

I'm sorry to hear that you didn't make the start and you've got a stress fracture :( Hopefully, with some rest, you will come back even stronger!

Well done to everyone that ran yesterday. The pace of Kipchoge was insane, and it was great watching him yesterday. I'm tempted to do a marathon next year, but with relatively little running experience and no halfs under my belt, I'm not sure if its wise.

Associate
Well, every runners worst nightmare came teue. I'm diagnosed with a stress fracture of lower tibia, no running for 6 weeks.

Came from no where just as I peaked and started taper. No warning signs. Haven't done anything different in training, haven't pushed volume or workouts harder. Doctors measured a discrepency in leg length which is a contributing factor but he admitted there is no clear evidence if custom for bed would help so is just an internet risk. I'm also getting done blood tests done as ththe may be a calcium's by vitamin D deficiency. I do have a dairy rich diet so it may be domethsom else that is leaching nutrients.

Frustrating because this was s very consistent training cycle that I was just cruising through without forcing. They say it is better to get to the start line 98% trained and healthy than overshooting to 102% and being injured or overtrained. I take that philosophy seriously. This cycle I feel like I was more like at 95% of training potential but the fee keu fitness tests indicated I was exceeding my marathon fitness goals. But I didn't feel like getting greedy and carried on. I didn't run more volumei ran less quality workouts, I had zero niggles, no pains, no aches, nothing. None of my earlier issues with hip flexors or plantar fascitis. I felt incredibly strong and healthy. The ttstrain load indicated I was training optimally, if anything undershooting potential. I've been bjbu at weekends so have tslen additional rest days and had slightly short weeks than in the past.
I have done several marathon cycles where I shave had to make a more careful balance and pull back , skipping workouts more frewfreque in respond to niggles in joints etc., And got to the start line healthy and happy i weaved s delicate path and listened to my body. This cycle I had zero iddue and wss estatic training was going perfectly without forcing it. Then bam, I just can't run.

Literally I felt slightly fatigued and muscles tight for a few days. Normally I rrcorec after 1-2 easy days but the d time I didn't. No pain, no ache, no niggle. But I thought it would be smart to take a rest day and then go back with a slow recovery run. I éoterlite thought I would take 1day off running and be back at it (albeit no workout goes few days). But next day after rest day things seemed worse do I skipped running, next day worse again and again. Then I knew something was wrong. Was annoying going through useless doctors but in the end got to see an official sports Dr of the Olympic team. Will be working with him on rehab.

So, now I'm drinking at a bar of s hotel at the excel center . Might pick up my shirt and donate to charity before heading down town for drinks.

First serious injury and first DNS in ,5 years of running. Last injury of any kind was 2 years ago and was't really running related (twisted ankle in rocky path) in the last 2 years barely a niggle.

Unfortunately for me I understand almost entirely how you feel. November last year on way way to an 85 minute HM I felt cramp in my hip / leg at mile 12, limped home in 88 mins ( I met Neil briefly after this run). Rest and trained for a month as the pain only got bad after serious exertion and all other running pains had left my body following the same plan. Just after Christmas I was stopped dead in a run by a pain so sharp it literally took my breath away. Went to the doctors and had the usual trips back and forth, mid January I had an xray and ultrasound. These found my now healing and luckily not displaced stress fracture in my Femur, right on the neck of the hip joint. Ordered to total rest ( two weeks off from work) and then began the trips to the gym, elliptical, static bike and cross trainer. Tried swimming but actually made pain worse. following doctors advice I slowly introduced slow runs as he believed it would actually help healing and thankfully he was proved right. Now back in normal training with observation including racing and just introducing some hills. Hit my 5k pb last week and have started training for Marathon in September.

Soldato
Hope everyone that did the London Marathon yesterday got round without injury!!

I sat and watched the elite (man they are so fast) and then watched the other runners too, I also put a ballot in for next year, worth a punt!

Associate
I managed 4:20 in the London Marathon yesterday. It was my first marathon and it was such an amazing experience but I don't think I'll do another one. The last 6 miles were absolute hell! I'm better suited to shorter distances so I'm going to work on improving my 5k and 10k times.

Congratulations to the people who ran in yesterday's marathon

Are their toilets on the route?
Just curious because when I start running I'm bursting to go...
Yep, there are toilets at almost every mile marker.

Soldato
I managed 4:20 in the London Marathon yesterday. It was my first marathon and it was such an amazing experience but I don't think I'll do another one. The last 6 miles were absolute hell! I'm better suited to shorter distances so I'm going to work on improving my 5k and 10k times.

Well done dwarf, super time.

Soldato

Good work!

Soldato
I also entered the ballot. If we all managed to get in, can the quicker ones cheer the rest of us on when we finally get to the finish ;)

I'll crawl along with you :p

My ankle is still causing me some annoying issues, where it feels a little tender/stiff on the inside joint. I'm just taking it easy at the moment and doing very short runs and it doesn't cause issues on the actual run, just afterwards.

Got caught in some horrendous hail last week. Was away in the midlands and ran from the hotel to a local castle (Ashby Castle), then walked up to the top. Then on the way back again the heavens opened and the hail caused lots of pain, particularly when i lost cover going over a motorway bridge!

What was annoying was the hotel gym were running a "foam roller" class. I timed my run to end just before that so i could go and get some direction on foam rolling rather than having just used guess work. However i lost all faith when the guy moved onto foam rolling the IT band. One of the things i always read (and have head from physios/sports masseuses) is you should never foam roll your ITB as it's not a muscle.

Don
I'll crawl along with you :p

My ankle is still causing me some annoying issues, where it feels a little tender/stiff on the inside joint. I'm just taking it easy at the moment and doing very short runs and it doesn't cause issues on the actual run, just afterwards.

Got caught in some horrendous hail last week. Was away in the midlands and ran from the hotel to a local castle (Ashby Castle), then walked up to the top. Then on the way back again the heavens opened and the hail caused lots of pain, particularly when i lost cover going over a motorway bridge!

What was annoying was the hotel gym were running a "foam roller" class. I timed my run to end just before that so i could go and get some direction on foam rolling rather than having just used guess work. However i lost all faith when the guy moved onto foam rolling the IT band. One of the things i always read (and have head from physios/sports masseuses) is you should never foam roll your ITB as it's not a muscle.

I'm suffering from exactly the same ankle issues at the moment. It started off with the same as your issues, and gradually got more and more painful (but still okay when actually exercising). A number of physio sessions later and strengthening exercises and it's still not healed. I'm now on complete rest, no running, cycling, etc. and it's slowly getting better. :( Bah, I'm getting old.

Back
Top Bottom