Is it just me?

Soldato
So I'm a newish driver, coming up to a year with my licence although drove longer as I also learnt in the car I drive.

However I still get nervous when driving somewhere I don't know, worry about speed limits, unknown roads etc.

I know my anixty plays a big part in this but wondered if any one else had the same or still does?

I enjoy driving so it's not that aspect that puts me of

Soldato
Just drive more.
In the early days i find having a satnav with camera alerts and speed notification very useful. Even now i usually always have google maps running but mostly for traffic.
Modern cars are great as well mine limits me to the speed of the road so don't have to worry about going too fast.

Associate
So I'm a newish driver, coming up to a year with my licence although drove longer as I also learnt in the car I drive.

However I still get nervous when driving somewhere I don't know, worry about speed limits, unknown roads etc.

I know my anixty plays a big part in this but wondered if any one else had the same or still does?

With the way some people drive on the roads now days I think everyone is anxious while driving, the level of stupidity that most people have is shocking. And the worst ones drive the biggest vehicles

Soldato
OP
With the way some people drive on the roads now days I think everyone is anxious while driving, the level of stupidity that most people have is shocking. And the worst ones drive the biggest vehicles
Yeah, I fitted a dashcam within 6 months to protect myself from idiots and Bradford in general, people dont get anywhere near as close as they did before.

Soldato
OP
Does it come with some sort of reverse magnetic forcefield or something?
I wish but people drove differently around me after it was fitted.

Bd4 area is full of morons and people who like to drive touching bumpers and the lovely scam of breaking for no reason trying to get you to hit them

Soldato
I don't get nervous per se but I do try and adhere to speed limits in areas I don't know (and in general to a point) as I don't want a speeding ticket. For me driving the company car isn't so much a problem as if it gets crashed into it's not my problem to fix really. In my own car I'd say I'm a little more cautious.

One thing I wish though is that people would consider that other drivers may not be from an area and may not know the roads so might make mistakes or be in the wrong lane. Equally I wish people would not just try and make stupid manoeuvres if they are in the wrong lane and just carry on until it's safe to turn round etc.

Associate
One thing I wish though is that people would consider that other drivers may not be from an area and may not know the roads so might make mistakes or be in the wrong lane. Equally I wish people would not just try and make stupid manoeuvres if they are in the wrong lane and just carry on until it's safe to turn round etc.

This. I drive a lot with work and sometimes I'm in areas that I'm not familiar with. Some of those areas might not be well signed so I might realise too late I'm in the wrong lane. A lot of people think I'm trying to get one up on them and don't let me through. I wish people were more considerate.

Soldato
Dunno about anyone else, but I've literally never spotted a dashcam.
Really? I've seen loads in Bristol, most of them are really obvious too, in full view on the windscreen and can be seen from most angles. Also, the way the dashcam people drive is a great indicator that they have a moron cam fitted. :p

Caporegime

Get a sat nav?

Man of Honour
People recommending a sat nav, I'm assuming it's the use of a sat nav as a crutch that creates this sort of anxiety. I definitely feel less confident about my own road sense (specifically navigation) if I've used a sat nav a lot recently.

Instead, try to look up the roads before you depart and, if it's long journey, write down the roads/junctions you'll be taking and rough timings/milestones traveled the changes fall at. I did this when I first started driving and I had absolutely zero anxiety, as I was constantly looking about at road signs rather than relying on something telling me where and when to make changes.

Soldato
People recommending a sat nav, I'm assuming it's the use of a sat nav as a crutch that creates this sort of anxiety. I definitely feel less confident about my own road sense (specifically navigation) if I've used a sat nav a lot recently.

Instead, try to look up the roads before you depart and, if it's long journey, write down the roads/junctions you'll be taking and rough timings/milestones traveled the changes fall at. I did this when I first started driving and I had absolutely zero anxiety, as I was constantly looking about at road signs rather than relying on something telling me where and when to make changes.
I can relate to this. If I'm heading somewhere completely new, I need to know the layout of the roads and what lanes I should be in.

Associate

I don't mean to be rude, but do you suffer from anxiety? Just curious mate, as my wife does and still to this day after driving 10 years she does what you mentioned above. For most people those nerves go with time, but for some they just don't. My wife can't understand how i drive anywhere and it just does not phase me.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Dunno about anyone else, but I've literally never spotted a dashcam.

I do on a regular basis and it is often the dashcam cars that drive like complete plonkers or are clearly terrified of the road. It makes me wonder about many of the dashcam videos posted online and what you don't see.

Soldato
Really? I've seen loads in Bristol, most of them are really obvious too, in full view on the windscreen and can be seen from most angles. Also, the way the dashcam people drive is a great indicator that they have a moron cam fitted. :p

I do on a regular basis and it is often the dashcam cars that drive like complete plonkers or are clearly terrified of the road. It makes me wonder about many of the dashcam videos posted online and what you don't see.
I guess I just don't care enough to look properly :D

Back
Top Bottom