Virgin Media Discussion Thread

Soldato
Well my Vivid 350 was cheaper than my BT 80/20 FTTC so "it's all good" ;)

Nice wireless performance from my UniFi AP-AC-Pro

3220598866.png

Last edited:
Soldato
That's what Virgin (and most other networks) do. They sell you the headline speed, expecting and planning that you won't use it all for 99 percent of the time, and that if you do, 99 percent of the other people with it won't be using it at the same time as you. If everyone did, the network would grind to a halt, hence over subscription meaning whole areas aren't getting the speed they are paying for.

It's Virgin that are making millions by selling that bandwidth and expecting it to be unused.

Virgin are bunch of liars, in my area since joining them never reaches advertised speeds during peak hours. It always slows down A LOT during these hours. Anywhere from 1/5th to 1/10th my rated speed and webpages are slow to load.

There needs to be more strict rules to enforce what these companies can advertised. I was promised a internet that would achieve most of its rated speed no matter what time of day.
I clearly dong get that and nobody cares either.

Soldato
That's what Virgin (and most other networks) do. They sell you the headline speed, expecting and planning that you won't use it all for 99 percent of the time, and that if you do, 99 percent of the other people with it won't be using it at the same time as you. If everyone did, the network would grind to a halt, hence over subscription meaning whole areas aren't getting the speed they are paying for.

It's Virgin that are making millions by selling that bandwidth and expecting it to be unused.

Everyone does this, not just VM.

Virgin are bunch of liars, in my area since joining them never reaches advertised speeds during peak hours. It always slows down A LOT during these hours. Anywhere from 1/5th to 1/10th my rated speed and webpages are slow to load.

There needs to be more strict rules to enforce what these companies can advertised. I was promised a internet that would achieve most of its rated speed no matter what time of day.

Haven't Ofcom allowed you to leave if they can't fix your issues within 30 days? Use it to your advantage and get them to fix things if it isn't as expected.

Associate

It depends where you live. I had the VIVID 350 for over a week and the speed was reaching 400mbps at all times and never seen it slowing down .
What I didn't like was the upload speed that was dropping during peak hours and latency so I cancelled it.
I can't complain tho as they didn't charge me a penny for installation and usage so it was completely free.
I might try again when/if they eventually roll out DOCSIS 3.1 in my area.

Soldato
the speed was reaching 400mbps at all times and never seen it slowing down .

This to be honest, I've had Vivid 350 for a couple of weeks and yet to see any slowdown. My town got rolled out as part of "Project Lightening" so I presume they put in plenty of "infrastructure" to support, also we have BT FTTC so all of the "broadband eggs aren't in one basket".

Soldato
I see the 350Mbps package has dropped from £50 a month to £39 for 12 months. (12 month contract).

I think that'll sway me to the VIVID 350 package. After 12 months i can either negotiate or walk away.

Last edited:
Soldato
Yeah we pay that now but as I’ll be a new customer in a my own house it would normally be £52 a month.

Just realised that to get it for £39 a month you need a phone line installed, which after the contract ends is £27 a month :eek:

I signed up as a new customer last year and got TV, Phone and the 350Mbps for £26 a month for 12 months. Don't be dissuaded just because you'll be a new customer. Although that was because of a mess up on their end I'm now on £35 for 350MBps but that's just broadband and phone only and no TV.

Soldato
I see the 350Mbps package has dropped from £50 a month to £39 for 12 months. (12 month contract).

I think that'll sway me to the VIVID 350 package. After 12 months i can either negotiate or walk away.

Where do you see this new price, it says £52 for the vivid350 on VM website?

Ignore, found it, it's a 12 month offer then price increases to £50 odd.

Last edited:
Soldato
I was thinking of upgrading to the 500mbps plan but it makes no mention of my current SIM card which is included in my 350mbps deal. The price is OK but I'm a bit reluctant to spend more.

Back
Top Bottom