New valve vr hmd

Soldato
I'm not paying £919 either, I was really hoping this would be the one. At least we still have 3 to choose from

Oculus Rift S
HP Reverb
Acer ConceptD OJO

No idea if the Vive Cosmos will be a normal headset or one of those novelty standalone ones. May have even been the codename for the Vive Index :confused:

Last edited:
Associate
It's not in my price range but that's fine, best sound, best optics, best adjustment range, made by the best company. If I had the money I'd pay more to get more. It's fine that there's this high end option to compliment the mid range option from Oculus. No sense everyone chasing the same limited group of customers.

Associate
Slightly disappointed that it's not cheaper, partly for my inner cheapskate, but mostly as it's not likely to push VR any closer to the mainstream. Half life VR and a generous Black Friday discount could still prove me wrong.

Soldato
Mostly disappointed it doesn't match the Reverb for resolution, everything else looks good and more or less in line with what I was expecting. Price for the headset is fair enough I think at this point, but the knuckles and base station combo adds more than I thought... although would probably be plenty of vive wands and v1 base stations available after this launches if one wanted a cheaper entry point.

Will be waiting for reviews and then try to decide between Reverb + knuckles, or Index + knuckles... price will work out similar. If I had to guess I imagine Reverb will win out for pure visual fidelity, Index probably for the overall package.

Associate
I'll be keeping an eye out for user reviews once these are out in the wild. My use is purely sim racing for which I currently have a Rift. Index + one base station would be £600, a hundred more than I paid for my Rift at launch. Will need to see what the glasses situation is like or custom lense inserts as I have for my Rift. I'd be looking at a full system upgrade as well from my current 4930K/GTX1080. More likely to be in the autumn when we have some new more powerful CPU's and GPU's to choose from.

Either way there is no lack of choice right now. Pimax 5K/8K, Valve Index, new range of WMR headsets such as HP Reverb, Rift S, potential consumer version of the XTAL....

Soldato
£900 is a lot. I'll probably end up getting it but i'll wait for a few hands on reviews and possibly user experiences. I want to hear what Skyrim is like on this bad boy and if it supports Oculus Quest exclusives decently enough. Also I'd like to see some pimax comparisons if possible because the pimax HMD is looking like a winner, now that everyones moved towards LCD which is the biggest complaint with it.

The audio solution sounds.. strange. If it sounds much better than the Rift, then I'm happy. No wireless module is a bit annoying. If they'd charged 900£ with the wireless module, i would have bitten, knowing that my VR needs set and satisfied for the next 2-3 years.

Whats really crazy is just how crazy and good in value the Rift CV1 is now compared to the new headsets.

Soldato
There's a lot going for this kit.

My last headset was an Oculus DK2. I remember thinking the last time I tried it: "they need to double the res before this gets real".

This isn't quite there, but but I'm wiling to forgive that - 120Hz refresh, an RGB stripe screen (i.e. better sub-pixel layout), wide FOV, low latency, adjustable IPD, and controllers that look great.

Associate
Not a good day for Valve really.

They tried to troll the Oculus event by specifically bringing the embargo on the Index forward to match the release time of the Rift S+Quest, which was fine until people saw the price for system, and the news that it suffers badly with God rays.

I'm pre-ordering a Rift S (for me) and a Quest (for the missus ... and me!) and that still leaves money left over compared to the cost of the Index. Price gouging on the controllers and lighthouses will just drive people to other formats.

Soldato
Not a good day for Valve really.

They tried to troll the Oculus event by specifically bringing the embargo on the Index forward to match the release time of the Rift S+Quest, which was fine until people saw the price for system, and the news that it suffers badly with God rays.

I'm pre-ordering a Rift S (for me) and a Quest (for the missus ... and me!) and that still leaves money left over compared to the cost of the Index. Price gouging on the controllers and lighthouses will just drive people to other formats.

Funny that Norm (Tested) says different.

I didn't notice significant god rays, and Valve intentionally put us in dark demos like Beat Saber and Big Screen theatre. Once I found the sweet spot in the eyebox, image was remarkably clear almost to the edges.

https://www.reddit.com/r/ValveIndex...son_with_valve_index_and_impressions/em5ohre/

Associate
I did wonder why Jeremy didn't go to the Index test, maybe its because he is more critical ;)

Anyway ... https://www.roadtovr.com/valve-index-hands-on-preview-valve-vr-headset/2/

While Valve’s dual-element optics might be focused on a wide field of view and large sweet spot, it seems to have come at the cost of an increase in internal reflections (god rays). Moderately high contrast scenes cause significant glare which unfortunately detracts from the other benefits in clarity.

Soldato
I desperately want to tick VR off my bucket list and I thought this would be the system to finally tempt me, but nearly a £1K :eek:, I don't know, up to £600 I would have snapped their hands off, but £1K! its just one of those psychological price points that would induce epic amounts of buyers remorse in me, added to the fact that Valve's record on successful hardware launches doesn't exactly reassure me that this thing will have any kind of long term future.

If I do bite it certainly won't be with a pre-order, not at that price. It's going to have to prove itself worth it before Gabe gets that amount of money off me.

Associate
Ya also £1K for basically gen 1 resolution too. I saw the writing on the wall when they listed it would be using an old/slow Displayport 1.2 connection. Such a wasted opportunity. This thing would have been KILLER if they used the 2160x2160 panels that the Reverb and Acer OJO are using.

Back
Top Bottom