Do you ever feel your kids rule you?

Associate
OP
Get net nanny installed and set times when the wifi/internet is available for her.

You're the parent, you make the rules, she WILL abide by them....(coming from a dad of a 16 year old girl and identical twin boys toddlers.)
I have timed rules set on router where it will cut off internet access via mac address to her devices. But i turned it off as the wife moaned it turned off the sky Q box. It didn't it was an issue with the box. But i keep forgetting to enable them again and over the school holidays we didn't mind her being on till 10pm. Now facing the back end of that and all the late nights. Luckily she was excited to see her friends again.

Soldato
Net nanny lets you bar certain devices specifically. You have to pay for it though but I found it was worth it. I can make the daughters ipad go "offline" at certain times of the day without affecting my pc or other devices that use wifi.

Kids eh? Who'd have them :p

Man of Honour
In my view it is more than just internet access. Screen time including playing games that don't need access needs to be controlled. Kids should not have free reign to wallow on devices (like their parents do).

Man of Honour
Too many parents allow their children to rule-the-roost. Children don't necessarily need rules but they certainly need boundaries. It's important to remember that you are as there as their parents, not as their friend(s). It's sounds harsh but it's easy to allow familiarity to breed content. The easier it is to make this distinction, the easier it becomes to enjoy life with your children, with your partner and on your own without feeling guilty.

Associate
OP
Too many parents allow their children to rule-the-roost. Children don't necessarily need rules but they certainly need boundaries. It's important to remember that you are as there as their parents, not as their friend(s). It's sounds harsh but it's easy to allow familiarity to breed content. The easier it is to make this distinction, the easier it becomes to enjoy life with your children, with your partner and on your own without feeling guilty.
I remember when she was a toddler put her to bed by 7.30 she would be out within 15mins and we never had the issue of her waking up during the night or having to stay in the room with her. I thought we were set. How wrong i was :D Her Youtube watching was innocent opening of toys in the early days. 15-30mins here and there no harm. Now she can't fall asleep as in her words "I need to watching something" Hates it when the internet shuts off and starts banging drawers making stupid noises just to get a rise out of us. Its fine when i don't have work at 4am we just ignore that behaviour and it stops. Other times when i am shattered it gets a bit much.

Caporegime
I beg to differ.
You're really no fun at all, are you.

Maybe one day you'll get over yourself; maybe you won't. Until then we'll enjoy the irony of you calling out "judgemental virgins" in the most condescending, judgemental way; failing to even take a joke because being "Number #1 Daddy" is super srs business, even in GD. Dropping a sprog btw is hardly a criteria for winning "male role model of the year"... plenty of jobless benefit scroungers have kids galore.

lol. When did this place become Mumsnet anyhow...

Caporegime
We tried to watch a movie though and she just wasn't interested and after 15mins tried changing the tv to Youtube took quite some time to talk her down and let her know this behaviour won't fly but we got there. She settled down and we watched it. However after we put her to bed i walk in and find her flipping the dog over shes only a frenchie hopefully that one is nipped in the bud as i gave her a talking to about it. Going to have to monitor that too already got a nut job with the mrs don't fancy another.
I'm struggling to parse this. What's happening here?

Soldato
I wish it did breed content, though unfortunately it is most likely to be contempt. ;) Your point is definitely true in that you are their parent first not friend. We all generally want to be loved by our kids but this does not negate our responsibility to set boundaries and parent in their best interests. Even if it means they fall out with us in the short term.

Soldato
... Butthurt BS ...

I actually had you in mind when I posted originally. I recall your thread where you were ranting about ridding the world of children because your mum's friend's child pulled your cat's tail, or whatever the poor unsuspecting child did.

No offence intended, but you're not even remotely qualified to post in this thread. That's why all you've had to offer is a judgemental jibe blaming the OP for his troubles, like your own journey of virginity through life was a clever choice.

Caporegime
I actually had you in mind when I posted originally. I recall your thread where you were ranting about ridding the world of children because your mum's friend's child pulled your cat's tail, or whatever the poor unsuspecting child did.

No offence intended, but you're not even remotely qualified to post in this thread. That's why all you've had to offer is a judgemental jibe blaming the OP for his troubles, like your own journey of virginity through life was a clever choice.
Ah man, and your opinion of me has such weight in my world as well.

There is nothing worse imho than parents who can't (or won't) control their kids, and believe everybody else should just put up with the aftermath like they do.

Here's something I read recently which hits the nail on the head concerning the attitude of most parents I know.
https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/childless-women-discrimination_n_58b6f352e4b0780bac2f3413?guccounter=1 said:
Childfree men and women were consistently viewed as being less personally fulfilled than those who had two children. This is likely due to the fact that the participants reported significantly greater feelings of moral outrage ― including anger, disgust and disapproval ― toward the voluntarily childless people.

Perceiving the childfree people as less fulfilled acts as a way of “punishing” them for violating what’s often considered to be both a social norm and a moral imperative, according to study author Dr. Leslie Ashburn-Nardo.

Parenthood is a cultural norm ― and as with other norms, violations are not looked upon kindly. Research has shown that people who diverge from social role expectations often face backlash from other members of society for defying the unwritten social contract.
https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/en...ation_n_58b6f352e4b0780bac2f3413?guccounter=1

Listen, we don't all view your kids as the best thing in our worlds. They might be in yours. Or you might also wish you'd never had them (there is a taboo around saying this but some people are honest about feeling this way).

Jumping on posters here who were (in time-honoured GD tradition) poking fun at the OP in a humerous and non-offensive way (for the most part).

Then along comes @String to show that only virgins don't have kids; only virgins criticise parents or make jokes about their kids; because every parent knows dropping some sprogs makes you an ubermensh who everybody else wishes they could be.

Well, actually, no. **** you and **** your kids. No offence intended, of course.

Soldato
@FoxEye you may not view our kids as the most important things in the world and no one asks you to. The difference is your opinion on how they should be raised is coming from an uneducated place. You have no experience or background on having kids to comment, other than what you perceive and see, which is not an informed place.

I agree kids should not be little *****, and I am the first to say that and do not see my kids through rose tinted glasses. Yet I also know what it's like to have them, and how difficult it can be, because you know, I've been there.

Caporegime
@FoxEye The difference is your opinion on how they should be raised is coming from an uneducated place.

This could be countered by pointing out that parental views on how their children should be raised are entirely biased. They're impacted by hormones, chemical imbalances and emotions such as pride.

I've mentioned it on here before but I have a friend who is a police officer local to me. He has literally witnessed a child committing a crime, arrested them at the scene and then interviewed them in the presence of their parents. Said parents then denied completely that it was their child who committed the crime even though it was witnessed by multiple people and they were arrested there and then. Because, oh no, their child 'couldn't possibly do that'. This has happened on multiple occasions. Parent's simply don't see clearly when it comes to the behaviour of their children.

Those who don't have an emotional attachment to children are more likely to be impartial in their judgements.

Soldato
you may not view our kids as the most important things in the world and no one asks you to. The difference is your opinion on how they should be raised is coming from an uneducated place. You have no experience or background on having kids to comment, other than what you perceive and see, which is not an informed place

This is exactly the point I was making to the OP. I'm sure he he was aware of it when he started the thread, hence his response in post#6. My first post in the thread (#23) was really me answering the thread title by acknowledging that no, you're not alone mate... But brace yourself for the usual suspects and their unique brand of humor when it comes to the subject of children.

It's comical to see someone defend their right to be... "(in time-honoured GD tradition) poking fun at the OP in a humerous and non-offensive way (for the most part)".... but as soon as someone turns the tables and starts poking a little bit of fun back in their direction, suddenly the world gets all serious again. :p

It's the internet equivalent of throwing themselves on the floor and kicking their feet because the conversation isn't going their way. Thankfully, as parents we're used to dealing with self centered, irrational people who aren't capable of considering anyone other than me, me, me. ;)

Caporegime
My Nephew is like this, it's awful. I turned youtube off on his switch to speak to him, melt down. It's crazy bad. I took it off him for the morning and I was the worst person in the world. But his behaviour just ten minutes later was so much better. He interacted, he wasn't absorbed into the world of his screen without realising his surroundings (much like most of us and our screens really, it's habits gained from their parents.)

A friend at work has setup parental controls on his switch, and his eldest (6, same age as the nephew) knows this and sticks to it. He has literally no choice. He knows if he doesn't do his homework, chores/whatever that time comes down.

Two examples of the same thing with one having limits set. My Nephew, much like your daughter is allowed to do whatever he wants and you can tell he has issues from it. It's not healthy.

Soldato
There is nothing worse imho than parents who can't (or won't) control their kids, and believe everybody else should just put up with the aftermath like they do.

This is true actually, so many kids out there like this, parents just seem unable to control them and the parents are usually glued to a mobile phone themselves.

Back
Top Bottom