Petrol Lawnmower issue

Soldato
Hey guys,
Anyone know anything about petrol lawnmowers?

Our petrol lawnmower wont stay running,it chuggs chugs chugs wobbles about then dies lol.

Any idea on what could be causing it not to stay running? it was fine last time we used it,has oil,put fresh petrol in it,appreciate any help.

cheers!

Soldato
OP
hi,well i taken out spark plug cleaned it with some electrical contact cleaner same with the port,checked air filter its as clean as anything because i remember cleaning it last time i used it,not sure about fuel filter.

Associate
hi,well i taken out spark plug cleaned it with some electrical contact cleaner same with the port,checked air filter its as clean as anything because i remember cleaning it last time i used it,not sure about fuel filter.

Hi what did the plug look like? ie clean or sooty? If been sitting could be float etc in carb not working right so not fueling if sooty will be fouling so over fueling/not firing properly sparking issues. Check flaps are working as sometimes choke gets stuck

Soldato
Check the brake/safety stop.

Most petrol lawn mowers have like a handle you have to keep held in or the engine cuts out. Check that the cable or the actuator it connects to isn't stuck/seized it can cause that to happen on those.

Associate
This. Dump the old fuel and fit a new fuel filter before re-filling. As others have said, just all the linkages around the carb are free to move and the choke engages/disengages fully.

Never had trouble with "old" fuel? I've just cracked out the one I use (it's about 35+ years old Honda engine) and it starts first pull, every year with the same fuel that was in it last year....

Associate
I used to do the same, but after watching some youtube vids and recently having my mower serviced, the advice is always to use fresh fuel to stop the carb getting clogged up with deposits which develop in old fuel. The holes in the carb are so small it only takes a very small piece to clog it and results in a rough or non-working mower.

Soldato
Never had trouble with "old" fuel? I've just cracked out the one I use (it's about 35+ years old Honda engine) and it starts first pull, every year with the same fuel that was in it last year....

It's more prevalent with newer carbs which are built cheaply to the point of being disposable in some cases. Some can't even be adjusted any more.

And with the ethanol content in fuel, it literally eats things alive.

After some issues, I will always run the engine to empty at the last cut and my two stroke tools only see Aspen fuel these days.

They literally don't build them like they used to.

Last edited:
Associate
It's more prevalent with newer carbs which are built cheaply to the point of being disposable in some cases. Some can't even be adjusted any more.

And with the ethanol content in fuel, it literally eats things alive.

After some issues, I will always run the engine to empty at the last cut and my two stroke tools only see Aspen fuel these days.

The literally don't build them like they used to.

This is very true, perhaps that's why my chainsaw (husqvarna) sometimes has problems starting.

Hadn't heard of this Aspen fuel, but my god it's pricey!

Soldato
Yeah true, but I'm only running a Tanaka hedgie and one other thing off it at the moment so it's not too bad. Left old fuel in the Tanaka the winter and it wouldn't start.

I actually have a Ryobi brushcutter which has like a 15 quid carb and that thing is a brute - takes ages to start but always will. Only seems to work for 20 mins though before it seems to go lean and over-rev. Not an issue for me as I can get everything done by then.

I've a Hyundai 4 stroke push mower which is a beast too works no matter what, but the furniture on it is a bit cheap.

And then the ride-on which is a Honda - that gets the full kid gloves treatment.

Pho

Pho

Soldato
Does it stall at idle, or stall when you run it into thick grass (e.g., when the engine is under load)? If it's when you run it into grass it's likely the governor like @Kermit suggested.

The point of the governor is to detect load on the engine and speed it up to stop it from stalling, so if something has jammed with it that would explain it. I had clean up and tweak mine up a year or two ago for the same reason.

What model mower is it?

Soldato
OP
Sorry for late replied everyone,I had a read on everyones suggested and done everything possible mentioned in here,gave it a good clean all over,cleaned the carb,taken out the spark plug cleaned the tip,and adjusted the Governor a bit and now it starts up first pull and stays running absolutely no problems.
happy to have it running again thought would be time for a new one.

Associate
What type of carburettor is fitted ? If it is a briggs and stratton engine with a primer bulb on top of the fuel tank with air cleaner housing at top, These have a diaphragm and gasket, the diaphragm can have a slight pin hole which is enough to cause poor running. These do perish over time which is a part of a service yearly.

http://tiny.cc/b8g95y

If it is a bowl type carburettor this will need to be throughly cleaned ie jet removed if removable? if not spray carb cleaner through emulsion jet, If this does not improve poor running, You may have a spark plug problem which can breaking down under load / heat. Change this first..If it still not idling or rough running you will need to look at changing magneto.

Teach me not to read full thread..:)

Back
Top Bottom