Recommended "mugs guide" on folder sharing on a LAN?

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Hope that one of you chaps can point me in the right direction.

I’m looking to setup local file sharing between a couple of PCs in my home. Both are running Windows10, are connected via Ethernet to the same router and out to the internet.

The PCs can definitely “see” each other, as one can act as a Plex server to the other, along with hosting games.

I looked at a couple of online guides last night, which walked me through steps on folder sharing, but neither got me up and running with one of the PCs able to see in Windows the other PC or a folder.

Do you have a suggested link to a good “mugs guide” on how to set this up?

Soldato
What guide did you use?

Are you trying to share with specific people or 'everyone'?

Is it the same user on all of the PCs?

Do you have passwords on your PCs?

Did you share the folders AND set the file permissions?

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
OP
Can't remember the guide. Found them using Google.
I'd like to share them with myself. What I mean by that is that I have an account on each PC (just 2 PCs), both linked to my email ID.
I do have passwords on each PC.
I did set the folder permissions, didn't set the file permissions, assuming that the folders would do it.

Would I be correct in assuming that I probably just need to add file permissions?

Soldato
You need to check the file permissions.

Can you not access the shares or not see them?

If you just can't see them try using UNC paths (\\computername\foldername or \\IP Address\foldername).

Associate
Without knowing what guides you follow I always found the Sharing option within file explorer to be rubbish if that's what you are using. Can you try sharing through the Computer Management mmc? Right-click start button > Computer Management > Shared Folders > Shares > Right-click, pick New Share and then go through the wizard. Depending on how your accounts are set up you may need to add the account from PC 1 to the admins of PC 2 and vice versa

Back
Top Bottom