LG 38GL950G - 3840x1600/G-Sync/144Hz

Associate
Thanks for the update Daniel, Sept 2019 gives me time to gauge how the HDR monitor segment will progress, whether the rumored LG 49” SUW with 144Hz materializes, and whether the 2020 FreeSync model is worth the price differential vs this G-sync version. I have to say, this 3840x1600 with 175Hz is extremely compelling!

She is certainly going to be a beauty!

Associate
Much as it is appreciated by the other posters in this thread i don't need 175hz or hdr if it comes with a fan. At this point that's the only show stopper. Fingers crossed for a speedy release of the f-version.

Associate
Hi, joined for some background info, quite literally - will the 38GL950G have edge light or direct/full/fald? First rumors said 1000 nits, then 600, now I head LG's rep Daniel here say 450, which makes me afraid it wil have yet another edge light.
Which is the sole reason I returned the 38UC99-W to the store. The backlight faded significantly over 5-7mm at the edges and in the middle you could see where the reflector tiles connected when scrolling.
Now 450 nits sounds like LG squeezed another 150nits out of KSF, which means my old Dells will have to take a deep breath and brace for another year for service, because I'm not having that, let alone with a 4 digit price tag.

Man of Honour
It was early iterations of the IPS panel which were listed in LG.Disaply roadmaps as VESA HDR1000, and then changed to 600. This actual display model I’m 99% sure won’t have a FALD, but it remains to be seen if any form of meaningful edge lit HDR is offered here at all. Personally I expect it to be HDR400 certified but without any local dimming capability, at least on the Gsync version which is the first expected model.

Associate
No, it's broadly meaningless as a standard. Which is why some monitors WITHOUT it can actually be better than those WITH it. It's nonsensical.

DisplayHDR 500, 600 and 1000 are, probably, almost as meaningless as 400 because they don't specify requirements for FALD and the number of independent dimming zones and/or the maximum area of an independent dimming zone. Edge backlight is ineffective for HDR, but can be used to achive the aforementioned standards.

Man of Honour
But at least 500,600 and 1000 require SOME local dimming support. So that’s already a step up from the 400 level :) they are at least capable of increasing the dynamic range.

The type of backlight and number of zones will certainly influence how good that overall performance is, levels of blooming etc

They also all require DCI-P3 gamut and 10-but colour support, which are again not necessary for HDR400.

Associate
The 950G will have 8bit FRC from what I read, so no real HDR anyway. But like I said, all I need is a proper direct light, so if that info came out that's all I need. Direct these days should be easy, layer LED stripes, done. Come to think it should be easier than edge.

Associate
Well, that was an awful waste of time.
"Hey, look at all the fancy pseudo game renders we directly put on your screen and not on the display and then film it off, so it means absolutely *nothing*, and now we sputter some specs across 3 minutes of this crud and as a cherry on top we don't add another ever so slight information that hasn't been out for months anyway. And we should know better 3840x1600 is 24:10, not 21:9 but that's more popular so we run with that."

Yo LG, edge lit (=FAIL) or not?

Associate
Well, that was an awful waste of time.
"Hey, look at all the fancy pseudo game renders we directly put on your screen and not on the display and then film it off, so it means absolutely *nothing*, and now we sputter some specs across 3 minutes of this crud and as a cherry on top we don't add another ever so slight information that hasn't been out for months anyway. And we should know better 3840x1600 is 24:10, not 21:9 but that's more popular so we run with that."

Yo LG, edge lit (=FAIL) or not?

Well I am okay with the edge lit if that drives down the cost. Hopefully its not gonna be more than 1500 USD at release due to no FALD, and only HDR400.

Associate
Latest video of the monitor released by LG today!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFzyi4Hp1R0

Official specs:
38" 21:9 QHD+ 3840x1600 Curved Nano IPS (DCI-P3 98%) IPS 1ms VESA DisplayHDR™ 400 175Hz(Overclock) NVIDIA® G-SYNC® Sphere Lighting 2.0

...after seeing the video I wonder how much will this monitor cost... because the video is completely geared to 14 years old kids... will 14 years old kids be able to afford this monitor ?
Also the HDR 400 is a massive disappointment... but more important than all this... will there be a Free Sync 2 version of this monitor ?

ps: 21:9 !? Really LG !? Really !? LOL

Soldato
OP
...after seeing the video I wonder how much will this monitor cost... because the video is completely geared to 14 years old kids... will 14 years old kids be able to afford this monitor ?
Also the HDR 400 is a massive disappointment... but more important than all this... will there be a Free Sync 2 version of this monitor ?

ps: 21:9 !? Really LG !? Really !? LOL

Safe bet you won't get much change from £2K. What gaming oriented product ISN'T seemingly targeted at 14 year-olds these days though? The marketing departments know it's the parents who have the money. That is one GOD-AWFUL video though to be fair. Those SDR/HDR comparisons are just laughable. It actually feels like it's been created for another country (Asia/Far East maybe) and English text laid on top.

Back
Top Bottom