Game of Thrones S8E3 on OLED - WTF?

Soldato
Sky ticket seems the be german equivalent of nowtv ... so the same meagre 720p bitrates .. still no news on 1080p for uk

The Australian link above, does not acknowledge that the OTTbox/tv decoding the same stream can itself make a difference in PQ,
this should still be a benefit of the apple tv, which has the most horsepower for effective algorithms for mpeg low bitarate pq.

artstechnica have an interesting articlec on the emmy nominated/winning got special effects
https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2019...-seat-on-tvs-vfx-throne/?comments=1&start=240
those folks comments think HBO direct stream is similarly impacted.

Associate
I watched via Sky Q and it was bordering on unwatchable. I’ve got a Samsung Es8000 that’s been set up well too.
It took away the excitement of what should’ve been the one moment Sky got it right, instead we got a blocky, noisy unwatchable mess.

Permabanned
This is why i was waiting on the 4K box set but youtube already spoiled it for me by putting on my list the biggest possible spoiler aka they spelled it out to me ahhhrg.

If you enjoy something a lot consider that Sky can never compress for everyone a 30mb plus stream true 4k is 30mb a second.

Soldato
So yesterday, I watched E3 around my girlfriend's place and we both noticed the picture quality wasn't great. She has a Samsung LED (not Q LED) set and the source was coming from NowTV.

At the time, I just thought it was either her TV or the input that was the issue. For those who are fans of the show and have watched this episode, you'll know it's mainly full or dark scenes and I've read online today that cinematographers from the show recommend watching it in a dark room.

Great I thought, I'll watch it on my series 8 LG OLED in the dark (Sky Atlantic catch up, Sky HD box). No matter what picture mode I set the TV to, there's either large amounts of noise on dark scenes or extremely crushed blacks.

Has anyone else had the same issue? I'm assuming it could be down to the compressed nature of the Sky feed? I'm really disappointed, thought visually this would have been perfect to watch on OLED.
Yes, had the same issue on my LG 55"E7...

Huge huge amounts of "banding" in many scenes across the darker areas of the picture. Never seen any program this bad, ever!

The compression must have been really bad, or just been a "perform storm" to result in that much of it :(

Soldato
Watched it last night on my ks7000 with the nowtv app and apart from some banding on the gradients (the sky, bloom from lamps in the crypt), it looked ok. I was really looking for it too.

Was more concerned with lack of 5.1 support!

Last edited:
Soldato
they intentionally don't release the high quality discs for months after the live broadcast, at which point no one cares ...
a bit disappointing, given the high production costs and award winning cgi. (I've never got round to re-watching dexter ....)

Soldato
I don't watch the TV show but I had it on in the background via Now TV on my Samsung TV. I thought my TV was playing up as I could hear sounds but the screen was black. Barely could see anything.

Back
Top Bottom