BMW and M Power Owners

Associate
Went to see this today, got there, they had taken it to fill it up with fuel and it ran out on the way to the petrol station, and the engine management light went on and limp home mode wouldn't turn off, so no test drive for me.

They made a decent offer on my car and the cost to change, but it was wrapped up in BMW finance and both some weird paint protection thing and gap insurance, and I got them to email me the figures, and it's not at all the cost I thought it was... feel a bit perplexed and mugged off but will speak to them again tomorrow.

Were you able to get any deal on extended warranty with it?

I’m going to see a car Saturday, but it’s difficult to know how much wiggle room there is.

Soldato
The M140i will be going in the coming weeks/months as I've struggled to jel with it, and coming from a 17 year old E39 that cost a fraction of the price, I shouldn't really be feeling like I'm comparing the two and missing the features of the E39...

My issues - fundamentally - are that the car feels significantly faster than the M135i I previously had, so much to the point where it's not a particularly enjoyable experience revving it out because if you do, you're immediately in the licence losing territory with no pleasure from the experience, and secondly the suspension and ride quality feel appaling (I have adaptive, FWIW). It rarely feels sorted nor comfortable except on rare occasions. Plus there's a slew of creaks and rattles, and the depreciation curve is still quite steep (this is of course expected and I'd be okay with this normally, but coupled with me not enjoying the car has made me question the very point of owning it).

Interesting. And I remember people going crazy as the thought of me getting rid of my M135i for the Mini GP.

I personally found the whole experience pretty lifeless. Once I got over the sheer pace on offer. I grew bored of it.... For me moving to the GP was the best move. Sure, it's not as fast as the beemer and nowhere near as comfortable.... But it's far more enjoyable.

Soldato
Interesting. And I remember people going crazy as the thought of me getting rid of my M135i for the Mini GP.

I personally found the whole experience pretty lifeless. Once I got over the sheer pace on offer. I grew bored of it.... For me moving to the GP was the best move. Sure, it's not as fast as the beemer and nowhere near as comfortable.... But it's far more enjoyable.

I was one of those people DAIR, but I'm finding I understand your logic more and more now. There's only so many times blasting the car from 0-60 super quickly appeals.

I have access to my partners Mini Cooper S (F56) and whilst I know it's a farcry from your GP, I really love driving that thing.

Man of Honour
Indeed, what planet are people on when they think a non M car is going to beat an M car, even if there's 10 years difference in it.
Straight line is a lot closer than you may think between M cars and some non-M cars. The difference comes with the feel and cornering ability of M cars. For example an M140i will keep up with an M2, E46 M3 etc but throw in a few corners and the M140i will be struggling.

Caporegime
Straight line is a lot closer than you may think between M cars and some non-M cars. The difference comes with the feel and cornering ability of M cars. For example an M140i will keep up with an M2, E46 M3 etc but throw in a few corners and the M140i will be struggling.
Err, Google lap times (such as around the ring) in the case of the e46 M3, that would be the one struggling tbh, the link below is for the M135i...

https://fastestlaps.com/models/bmw-m3

https://fastestlaps.com/models/bmw-m135i

Man of Honour
I always take internet lap times with a massive pinch of salt, different drivers, different conditions, different tyres etc. I've driven an E46 M3 a few times and there's no way I'd keep up with myself if I were in the M140i.

Caporegime
I always take internet lap times with a massive pinch of salt, different drivers, different conditions, different tyres etc. I've driven an E46 M3 a few times and there's no way I'd keep up with myself if I were in the M140i.
Fair point to a degree, but check the TG lap times (I doubt many would question their timings) the e46 M3 1.31.8 the M135i 1.25.1 - both dry - hardly surprising given the age and technological leap between the two.

https://www.topgear.com/show/lap-times

Soldato
In a straight line, cars like the M135i and M140i will easily keep up with an E46 M3 and the latter probably convincingly beat them. But it's hardly a surprise is it? You give a car a turbocharger and get it kicking out masses of torque and bhp and couple that with an auto gearbox that has tight ratios and shifts nigh on instantaneously - of course it's going to go faster in a straight line. Even some fairly hard driving on the road would result in very similar results, timing wise. The E46 M3 will always feel more balanced, with a much nicer steering feel and razor sharp throttle, but on a road, I don't foresee any significant gaps between them.

On a track is where the LSD M Differential, poise and balance of the E46 M3 would really come into play and the M1xxi would very much struggle, especially those low/mid speed sharper corners where the M1xxi just wouldn't be able to put down it's power at all and would be left trailing.

RE: the Carwow video - there were a couple of things that played straight into the M140i/840d and very much away from the M5. Firstly, never use launch control on an M car, even on ones as modern as the F80. It's hopeless. The only reason to do it is if you want tyre smoke, noise and to look cool. It's terrible for actually giving you a good launch. And secondly, 3rd gear at 50mph in an E60 M5 is very much out of it's power band. I'm not sure where the E60 M5 makes it's power, but it's very similar in construction to the E92 M3, which makes it's full power at 8300rpm and redlines at 8400rpm. These are cars that very much have to live from 6krpm upwards to get the best from them.

Soldato
Carwow did a drag race with a 140i and an E60 M5. There wasn't much in it!

As I've said before, I really can't see why you'd want anything faster than a 140i on the main roads. When I put my foot down, I certainly am not thinking I wish this was a bit quicker!

Soldato
Hi guys, what are the general thoughts on BMW Approved Used? Worth the premium?

Ultimately depends on what you're buying.

If you're buying a relatively complex engine and gearbox combo (of which there are many) then absolutely worth going approved (if the private cars don't have warranty, that is). If you're buying a Z4M or something, then it's probably better buying privately and going for the extended warranty seperately, if you wanted peace of mind.

Should the car be outside of its warranty period, haggle for a two year extended warranty.

Soldato

Uh...when that M5 dug in and got over the typical rubbish BMW launch control start that Matt used, it utterly destroyed the M140i.

As I've said before, I really can't see why you'd want anything faster than a 140i on the main roads. When I put my foot down, I certainly am not thinking I wish this was a bit quicker!

I agree, you probably don't need anything quicker or more flexible than an M140i on the road. On the track though the M140i really does reveal it's deficiencies.

Soldato

See i wish my e92 M3 was faster, it is slower than my last car with similar power and weight (albeit more torque). I'm holding out for an 18 month old G80 4wd M3, that will be quick:D.

Last edited:
Caporegime
My issues - fundamentally - are that the car feels significantly faster than the M135i I previously had, so much to the point where it's not a particularly enjoyable experience revving it out because if you do, you're immediately in the licence losing territory with no pleasure from the experience
I’d missed this comment but agree entirely, very much reminded me of driving my brother in laws M4, it was incredibly fast (if you looked at the speedometer, it didn’t feel it from the seat of your pants as such) and to get it feeling fast you were at kill yourself and / or license loss territory which made it rather pointless tbh.

For his performance kicks these days he’s gone in a completely different direction and now has a bonkers fast Jet-Ski which is a wholly different adrenaline rush albeit not as accessible as owning a fast car of course!

Last edited:

mjt

mjt

Soldato
Would you touch the below 1 owner 2014 N57 or is it still too high mileage?

Aodb60a.png
iDYOXpV.png
What is it? Don't you already have one? :p

To be fair, there doesn't seem to be much wrong with that. I think it's better to have a well-maintained 1-owner high miler than a 5-year-old diesel that's only done 10,000 miles around town.

Soldato
I was one of those people DAIR, but I'm finding I understand your logic more and more now. There's only so many times blasting the car from 0-60 super quickly appeals.

I have access to my partners Mini Cooper S (F56) and whilst I know it's a farcry from your GP, I really love driving that thing.

So what will be next?

Caporegime
To be fair, there doesn't seem to be much wrong with that. I think it's better to have a well-maintained 1-owner high miler than a 5-year-old diesel that's only done 10,000 miles around town.
I’d be wary of any owner who lets all four tyres get to below the legal limit before deciding to change.....

Reads to me like the history file of a “couldn’t care less” company car driver.

Back
Top Bottom