New valve vr hmd

Soldato
This thing would have been KILLER if they used the 2160x2160 panels that the Reverb and Acer OJO are using.

You're definitely in the range of 10/2080ti 2080 with those resolutions though. That's a minimum of 600 to a 1000 on a card alone, the high end of the market.

Soldato
Never really understood that argument personally - nothing to stop you from using a lower render resolution and upscaling with a weaker GPU, steamVR allows you to adjust it on a slider from 20% to 500%... Would still be preferable to a lower resolution screen, plus when you do get a more powerful GPU, free upgrade along with it!

Associate
I snagged the Index controllers to replace the crappy Vive Pro controllers. I already have the 2.0 lighthouses from my Vive Pro kit. HMD will be the superior Reverb.

Soldato
No, at the moment you would need a base station and ideally 2 of them (although v1 would work, may be some second hand knocking around after the v2 releases). The cameras are only for pass through.

Given its moddable, it’s not completely impossible someone might make it work with wmr style tracking some time in the future.

In your position I’d be taking a serious look at the HP reverb rather than the index.

Last edited:
Associate
Cool thanks for the replie.

I was just pondering my options, I'm on rift cv1 now but will upgrade when something suitable with better resolution is out.....for a sensible price.

Associate
It's not in my price range but that's fine, best sound, best optics, best adjustment range, made by the best company. If I had the money I'd pay more to get more. It's fine that there's this high end option to compliment the mid range option from Oculus. No sense everyone chasing the same limited group of customers.

Yeah that's exactly my thoughts too. I'm probably just gonna hang fire on buying anything for the moment and keep saving!

Soldato
Never really understood that argument personally - nothing to stop you from using a lower render resolution and upscaling with a weaker GPU, steamVR allows you to adjust it on a slider from 20% to 500%... Would still be preferable to a lower resolution screen, plus when you do get a more powerful GPU, free upgrade along with it!

Same reason you don't buy a 4k screen to play 1080p games - it looks worse than if you just used a 1080p screen
Why suffer with worse quality for years until something that can drive it hits entry level prices

Soldato
Not really as comparable though given how low the resolution is currently... if anything it's more like DVD being upscaled on a 1080p tv which in my experience looked better most of the time and certainly never worse on a decent TV. As it happens, my 4k TV also plays plenty of 1080p content and it looks beautifully sharp and clear, and not that far off actual 4k content most of the time.

Certainly though when the resolution of the screen in question is so low that you can see and discern individual pixels in front of you, you are almost certainly going to be better off with a higher resolution screen instead and upscaling. I don't believe it would be "worse quality" in the mean time as you purport... it would just be a question of lacking a bit of sharpness vs visibly pixelated. The other side of the coin is that the lower resolution most certainly is a worse quality experience for those that do actually have the cards to run it.

Last edited:
Associate
Looks like a pretty good HMD, watching norms video, seems like he really likes it. loving the controllers too. I will have to get one at some point been putting it off as i need to upgrade computer and i spend enough time playing games as it is :)

Its great so many of these headsets are coming out as competition is always good, now if i only the GFX card market was the same we could actually have some cards that could run 4k+ at 120hz easily rather than the drip fed small performance increases, wheres my modern day 8800gtx increase for 2020.

Associate
Not hearing a lot of love for this thing so far... I pretty sure the 144hz mode is a game changer that no other HMD can boast. Waiting for reviews as always before pre-ordering.

Associate
Not hearing a lot of love for this thing so far... I pretty sure the 144hz mode is a game changer that no other HMD can boast. Waiting for reviews as always before pre-ordering.

Not hearing a lot about this headset, fullstop. I too am waiting for some more reviews on the actual visuals in a real world situation before I bite.
I've still got an eye on the Pimax though.

Back
Top Bottom