good rpgs

Associate
If you enjoyed Skyrim, I reckon you'd get some good mileage out of Enderal.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/933480/Enderal_Forgotten_Stories/

The first 10-15 minutes is a little bit dull but once the game opens up I think it's a pretty good experience, I enjoyed it a bit more than Skyrim as it's a bit more challenging with you not playing as some overly powerful Dragonborn hero.

It's a free standalone total conversion project available on Steam using the Skyrim engine and much of the visual assets.
The game follows on from Nerhim (the Oblivion total conversion project) but you don't need to play Nehrim to understand the story or enjoy it.

Associate
OP
If you enjoyed Skyrim, I reckon you'd get some good mileage out of Enderal.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/933480/Enderal_Forgotten_Stories/

The first 10-15 minutes is a little bit dull but once the game opens up I think it's a pretty good experience, I enjoyed it a bit more than Skyrim as it's a bit more challenging with you not playing as some overly powerful Dragonborn hero.

It's a free standalone total conversion project available on Steam using the Skyrim engine and much of the visual assets.
The game follows on from Nerhim (the Oblivion total conversion project) but you don't need to play Nehrim to understand the story or enjoy it.

this looks unreal,

curious though does it not just feel like a reskin of skyrim ?

Associate
Graphically it initially does feel a bit like a re-skin and of course the combat mechanics are the same because they use Skyrim's engine and assets for a lot of it.
If you focus more on the story then I think that feeling starts to fade away a bit as they have a fantastic team of voice actors that bring the story to life and with it being a whole new land it could be looked at as more of a DLC pack with a new world & story unrelated to Skyrim.

It's got a few different mechanics to shake things up and make it more of a challenge, things like how the skills are progressed and how abusing potions & magic can cause you harm.
Polygon did a fairly good review of it:
https://www.polygon.com/2019/3/1/18246361/skyrim-mod-enderal-forgotten-stories

Soldato
this looks unreal,

curious though does it not just feel like a reskin of skyrim ?

Agree with suenstars comments. They have changed things enough, story in particular and voice acting is great. You can tell they put real effort into this game. The fact it is a standalone launcher in steam and has its own achievements shows the team put a lot of care into this.

Soldato
Best recent RPGs are Pillars of Eternity Deadfire, Wasteland 2 and Divinity Original Sin 2.... With a small shoutout to Shadowrun Dragonfall.

Divinity in particular is excellent. Up there with New Vegas fighting for best rpg ever imo.

Soldato
Heard good things about kingdom come deliverance and pathfinder kingmaker

Pathfinder kingmaker is very good fun now with the patch’s and improvements from when I grabbed it as a backer. The kingdom building element can be hard to understand the underlying mechanics and easy to get game over. It’s similarly very hard which is the two critiques most people have against it and rate it down, but great game with an great story.

Caporegime
Damn, Enderal looks incredible. I'm always itching to play Skyrim again but I've completed it so many times now I'm bored of the story. Will be giving this a try, cheers!

Soldato
Damn, Enderal looks incredible. I'm always itching to play Skyrim again but I've completed it so many times now I'm bored of the story. Will be giving this a try, cheers!
I played it a few years back. It is good. Story is not bad and it is a bit more cinematic than Skyrim. The main city is really well made too. It is a lot more linear though.

I think I stopped playing because they promised a few new quest lines that they hadn't quite finished yet so I said I'd come back to it, but never did. Looks like they are in the game now though.

Soldato
I was waiting for someone else to say it so I don't sound like a broken record, but nobody has, so...

Dark Souls!

Three games, with DLC for each, will add up to 300+ hours of the possibly best third-person RPG series ever made.

Associate

Oh well time to to download Skyrim again now that I've stumbled upon this :) Do I install my usual mods before playing this, or is it meant to be played on vanilla? Or doesnt matter?

**EDIT** Holy crap I didnt realise you can just install it from Steam so long as you own Skyrim, even when it's not installed. Nice :)

Last edited:
Associate
Yeah, it's all neatly bundled into one installation.
You can install other mods on top of it but personally I prefer sticking to the vanilla install, if you're picky with your visuals then maybe add an ENB mod.

Associate
Yeah, it's all neatly bundled into one installation.
You can install other mods on top of it but personally I prefer sticking to the vanilla install, if you're picky with your visuals then maybe add an ENB mod.

Ill do what I did with Skyrim, just play it vanilla until completed it and then go back and mess around with mods for fun.

Back
Top Bottom