Mercedes AMG A35 or current A45

Soldato
lol, the old shape C63 is quite dated in the looks department / very old interior / slower than the A45 (2015).

The last Gen C63 is hardly a bad looking car. The interior is pretty nice too, but I appreciate that if surfing the internet with apple car play is more important than driving experience it could be seen to be lacking. The argument isn’t really in the looks, it’s more about being able to drive one of the last naturally aspirated RWD AMG V8’s. It’s also not exactly slow, having 450 horsepower.

I know which I’d rather drive.

Soldato
The last Gen C63 is hardly a bad looking car. The interior is pretty nice too, but I appreciate that if surfing the internet with apple car play is more important than driving experience it could be seen to be lacking. The argument isn’t really in the looks, it’s more about being able to drive one of the last naturally aspirated RWD AMG V8’s. It’s also not exactly slow, having 450 horsepower.

I know which I’d rather drive.

Have you driven both? The C63 feels heavy and pretty large compared to the A45 and is slower on any B road.

Levels of grip between them is almost comically different, very rarely can you apply anywhere near full throttle in the C63 without lighting up the rears. The A45 on the other hand never even engages traction control when pinning it flat from a corner.

Sure, if all you want is a big thirsty engine that makes a racket obviously it’s the better choice. As a day to day high performance and practical car though, the A45 is the better vehicle

Soldato
Soldato
Have you driven both? The C63 feels heavy and pretty large compared to the A45 and is slower on any B road.

Levels of grip between them is almost comically different, very rarely can you apply anywhere near full throttle in the C63 without lighting up the rears. The A45 on the other hand never even engages traction control when pinning it flat from a corner.

Sure, if all you want is a big thirsty engine that makes a racket obviously it’s the better choice. As a day to day high performance and practical car though, the A45 is the better vehicle
Surely in the "real world" the a45 is probably one of the fastest cars on the road "point to point". It would do better than most hypercars. But the whole point of the c63 is not to be fast on the road, its to be fun with a stupid size V8 and a fantastic noise, and it achieves that.
It never set out to be the fastest road car A to B. That's hot hatch department

Soldato

I have driven neither, but the sound alone of the V8 makes me want one. Both of these cars are far too fast for UK roads really, so you might as well have the interesting drive. Having been passed by a number of 6.2L AMG variants at full chat I can really appreciate the theatre of it.

It comes down to personal choice, but I just don’t find the modern 4 cylinder turbo 4WD hyper hatch formula at all appealing. Extremely capable for sure, just not my cup of tea.

EDIT: as suggested above, if a light and nimble B road machine is the criteria, then spending less money is probably the order of the day.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
I don’t really have many days to spend playing in the twistys :(

It’s mainly a commuter and something that is far away from the pick up I drive all day at the moment.

And needs to be able to house the little dog in the boot
To quote the OP, I don't think he wants a b road blaster.

Soldato
OP
The A45 is a great car; however it suffers with only one real problem - it's too grippy. This tends to lead to understeer when pushing on. In terms of usability, it's great. It can be reasonably economical on long journeys (35mpg), and in comfort mode it's generally a sedate ride. In sports mode it can be quite trashy - but without being too bad.

I haven't yet driven an A35 and it's not on my list to drive - I'm awaiting to the A45s, which I'll then probably upgrade my A45 too (as it has a better setup and ability to oversteer rather than understeer).

Any particular questions, fire away. I have a 2017 A45 from new. With Sports Exhaust, Aero Package, plus a tonne of other options.

2017 is what I’m looking at, the yellow night edition that’s currently catching my eye.

I’d want the aero pack ... who wouldn’t. But it’s the niggling thought that the moment I buy it the new a45s will come out pushing 420bhp. But I don’t want to wait much longer!!

Has there been any major annoyance in your ownership?

Don
2017 is what I’m looking at, the yellow night edition that’s currently catching my eye.

I’d want the aero pack ... who wouldn’t. But it’s the niggling thought that the moment I buy it the new a45s will come out pushing 420bhp. But I don’t want to wait much longer!!

Has there been any major annoyance in your ownership?

The yellow looks great - I originally wanted the green, but talked my self out of it and went with Silver with the Aero pack.

The new one sounds great - whether or not it is great is another thing! Looking forward to driving one and a hoping the numbers match.

The A45 hasn't missed a beat during my 2 years (nearly). There's been no recalls, the only time I've had to take it back to Mercedes (or any other garage) is for a service and tyre change (screw in tyre, so had to change it). There's been nothing else go wrong with the car.

Things I would change about it - the screen I'd like to be touch screen - the 'iDrive' rip off works fine, no issues there, but there's something more intuitive about a touch screen.
Apple Car play can be a bit strange (though this is a apple rather than Merc thing). Connects into the cubby inside the arm rest. Sometimes ti needs unlocking, sometimes it just works without needing to unlock. Sometime Spotify needs to be shut and opened again on start up. It's a mild annoyance.

I tend to drive in Sports mode with Manual mode turned on; Sports mode gives you the cracks and bangs through the sports exhaust. But without manual mode it's very aggressive and will when you're coasting along, just drop two cogs and egg you on. All the time. Manual mode solves this. There's no manual through the gear stick - all done with the flappy paddle.

Overall, massively complimentary on the car. Other people who pass it, or ride in it love it. I love it.

Anything else, shout up.

Soldato
I have driven neither, but the sound alone of the V8 makes me want one. Both of these cars are far too fast for UK roads really, so you might as well have the interesting drive. Having been passed by a number of 6.2L AMG variants at full chat I can really appreciate the theatre of it.

It comes down to personal choice, but I just don’t find the modern 4 cylinder turbo 4WD hyper hatch formula at all appealing. Extremely capable for sure, just not my cup of tea.

EDIT: as suggested above, if a light and nimble B road machine is the criteria, then spending less money is probably the order of the day.

Completely agree. The 4cyl turbo hyper hatch whizz pop pop pop pop generation will enjoy incredible performance, but never enjoy that "thrill" you get from engines that actually have character. I'm yet to come across a 4cyl turbo engine which makes me think anything more than "yeh, it's pretty quick". Not that they're to blame, but it's a bit sad that car enthusiasts now have to settle for these utterly soulless engines and miss out on the genuine thrill of an incredible engine.

For instance, you will never see someone accelerating in a Golf R and react like this:

https://youtu.be/vXCMiYKAwyY?t=115

Soldato
Soldato
Completely agree. The 4cyl turbo hyper hatch whizz pop pop pop pop generation will enjoy incredible performance, but never enjoy that "thrill" you get from engines that actually have character. I'm yet to come across a 4cyl turbo engine which makes me think anything more than "yeh, it's pretty quick". Not that they're to blame, but it's a bit sad that car enthusiasts now have to settle for these utterly soulless engines and miss out on the genuine thrill of an incredible engine.

For instance, you will never see someone accelerating in a Golf R and react like this:

They certainly fit in a hot hatch though. Other than the odd 5 and 6 cylinders what hot hatches sold in UK have had anything near a 5.0 V10? Pug 205, ep3 type r, clip 172/182, all the great hot hatches have had 4 pots

Soldato
They certainly fit in a hot hatch though. Other than the odd 5 and 6 cylinders what hot hatches sold in UK have had anything near a 5.0 V10? Pug 205, ep3 type r, clip 172/182, all the great hot hatches have had 4 pots

I was referring to turbocharging a car, rather than it being a 4cyl. Of course, there have been some incredible 4cyl engines over the years.

But in pretty much every car that's modern and that isn't mental, when you turbocharge something you trade character for efficiency. The noise get's killed off, the feeling of power building goes, they rev less and don't have the fizz that N/A cars have at the top end.

Don't get me wrong, I completely understand why the world needs to go that way and there are definitely benefits to be had from efficiency and for people who just want a nice car with a bit of poke (which make up the vast majority) they are absolutely fine. But for the genuine car enthusiasts, a 4 cyl turbo will usually prove to be a bit soulless and boring.

Soldato
OP
The yellow looks great - I originally wanted the green, but talked my self out of it and went with Silver with the Aero pack.

The new one sounds great - whether or not it is great is another thing! Looking forward to driving one and a hoping the numbers match.

The A45 hasn't missed a beat during my 2 years (nearly). There's been no recalls, the only time I've had to take it back to Mercedes (or any other garage) is for a service and tyre change (screw in tyre, so had to change it). There's been nothing else go wrong with the car.

Things I would change about it - the screen I'd like to be touch screen - the 'iDrive' rip off works fine, no issues there, but there's something more intuitive about a touch screen.
Apple Car play can be a bit strange (though this is a apple rather than Merc thing). Connects into the cubby inside the arm rest. Sometimes ti needs unlocking, sometimes it just works without needing to unlock. Sometime Spotify needs to be shut and opened again on start up. It's a mild annoyance.

I tend to drive in Sports mode with Manual mode turned on; Sports mode gives you the cracks and bangs through the sports exhaust. But without manual mode it's very aggressive and will when you're coasting along, just drop two cogs and egg you on. All the time. Manual mode solves this. There's no manual through the gear stick - all done with the flappy paddle.

Overall, massively complimentary on the car. Other people who pass it, or ride in it love it. I love it.

Anything else, shout up.

And you would be more tempted (if buying now) To get a AMG A45 2017 over the 2019 AMG A35?

Don
And you would be more tempted (if buying now) To get a AMG A45 2017 over the 2019 AMG A35?

I haven't driven the 35, so can't comment on how capable that is.
I wouldn't pick the 35 over the 45, but budget depending I'd wait for the 45s.

If you get either the 35, or 45, you're getting a great car imo.

Soldato
I picked up a fairly low mileage (16,000) 66 plate 45 a couple of weeks ago. Very happy with it and drive it daily currently. For a toy, I'd have likely gone with something else. This one is putting out 430/400 so it isn't shy, either.

72b7F7N.jpg

Completely agree. The 4cyl turbo hyper hatch whizz pop pop pop pop generation will enjoy incredible performance, but never enjoy that "thrill" you get from engines that actually have character. I'm yet to come across a 4cyl turbo engine which makes me think anything more than "yeh, it's pretty quick".

You can't have driven an Evo in anger, then. Plenty of character there.

Because the gearbox in a Golf R doesn't throw you around like a rag doll? lol. I've driven an E60 M5 and thought the box was broken due to it being a rental. Apparently not.

Last edited:
Soldato
You can't have driven an Evo in anger, then. Plenty of character there.

Nope, I haven't, but the last Evo that will ever get made was released over 12 years ago. Hardly current gen stuff...

Because the gearbox in a Golf R doesn't throw you around like a rag doll? lol. I've driven an E60 M5 and thought the box was broken due to it being a rental. Apparently not.

No, because pretty much all modern day 2.0litre turbo engines try to sound big and meaty, but they end up sounding like a wet fart :p. The gearbox in the E60 wasn't good at all (it was a gearbox that was designed over 15 years ago...) but it's engine was a masterpiece. To a car enthusiast, it's the feeling a car gives you that really makes you love and remember them. There are plenty of other cars apart from the E60 M5 with lovely engines and a decent gearbox that can make you giggle like a child, but it wouldn't matter if a current gen Golf R/S3/A45/Civic Type R had a gearbox to destroy all other gearboxes - it'd still be soulless and boring IMHO.

Last edited:
Soldato
Nope, I haven't, but the last Evo that will ever get made was released over 12 years ago. Hardly current gen stuff...

No, because pretty much all modern day 2.0litre turbo engines try to sound big and meaty, but they end up sounding like a wet fart :p. The gearbox in the E60 wasn't good at all (it was a gearbox that was designed over 15 years ago...) but it's engine was a masterpiece. To a car enthusiast, it's the feeling a car gives you that really makes you love and remember them. There are plenty of other cars apart from the E60 M5 with lovely engines and a decent gearbox that can make you giggle like a child, but it wouldn't matter if a current gen Golf R/S3/A45/Civic Type R had a gearbox to destroy all other gearboxes - it'd still be soulless and boring IMHO.

And an E60 M5 isn't old now? Play fair...

I'm getting a whiff of willful ignorance here if you don't mind me saying so. There isn't a direct replacement for displacement, no, but sounds like your benchmark for what makes a car exciting is slightly limited. I'd take an Evo 8 or 9 over an old M5, personally...but that's because I'd choose a car that gives me a feeling that makes me love and remember them (see what I did there)

Soldato
And an E60 M5 isn't old now? Play fair...

What? I think you may have misunderstood my point... I was not comparing older gen N/A cars to older gen turbo cars, I was comparing older gen cars to new generation cars. Older generations tended to have bigger NA engines instead of modern day cars aimed at similar people which are now whizzy 4 pot turbos. On the whole, the driving pleasure that these engines, that are now two or three generations old, gave is far more so than the stuff that's generally been put out in the last 4-5 years. The stuff that has been put out in the last 4-5 years, such as in the hot hatch sector, is often 4WD, low displacement, lower revving, low lag twin scroll turbo'd engines. Hugely capable, quick and capable of worrying things double their price, but the driving experience cannot be described as exciting. It has been a common criticism of this type of hot hatch, going back to something like the 8P Audi S3 (which that was arguably the earliest recognisable incarnation of the 2019 hot hatches). I remember people who owned them saying how great it was at everything, then their face would drop a bit and say "but it's a bit dull".

I'm getting a whiff of willful ignorance here if you don't mind me saying so. There isn't a direct replacement for displacement, no, but sounds like your benchmark for what makes a car exciting is slightly limited. I'd take an Evo 8 or 9 over an old M5, personally...but that's because I'd choose a car that gives me a feeling that makes me love and remember them (see what I did there)

Not at all. Don't think I'm some luddite who only likes NA cars, strictly with a manual gearbox and if it doesn't do 10mpg, I'm not interested - because it couldn't be further from the truth. I like cars that are exciting, that sound good and give you a buzz. I think that, in particular, the last couple of generation of hot hatches absolutely don't do that. Partly because they are turbo'd and are so smooth so you never get that huge kick from a turbo kicking in. Partly because they are 4WD so you get none of that edginess from RWD or that razor sharp turn in from light FWD cars. Partly because they do sound pretty crap. Partly because they are *all* the same and there's very little to differentiate them.

And as a side note, something like an Evo was exciting because they were pretty mad at the time, putting out 400bhp 15 years ago, they were laggy and weren't super smooth, they were uncomfortable and noisy, they needed a service every 3 miles and needed new tyres after 2 miles. They were edgy, and although they never really appealed to me - I could definitely see Jap car enthusiasts would go mad for them.

But of course, they didn't sell many of them which is why Mitsubishi have said that they are now only looking to release hybrid SUV's - because they are trying to cater for the masses, which I get.

The days of exciting cars, many of them with "flaws", are numbered. We're currently in the era of hybrid 2 litre 4 pot 4WD turbos that are £30k and will fly around the Nurburgring like a scalded cat requiring little driver skill or involvement.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom