Part 2 - Kitchen (DIY-KITCHENS) refurb and load bearing wall removal

Associate
Finally got around to sorting some pics out of our recent Kitchen refurb. With Mrs Pade being heavily pregnant towards the end and bubber actually arriving before completion and before final plumbing it did make things interesting. At least I bought her an integrated ironing board so what more could she ask for!

This is a follow on from the utility room thread, which was done the same time.

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/part-1-utility-room-play-room-refurb-pics.18852750/

Kitchen

We started November last year and finished in March. We still have a few snags outstanding but they'll be done shortly.

The only before pics I have are from the estate agents. We moved in 3 years ago and the décor was appalling (as you can see) … any way we are pleased with the results.

Angle 1

1-1.jpg

Angle 2

1-2.jpg

Here was the view from dining room

1-7.jpg

The first job was sorting out the electrics and moving the oven from one side of the kitchen to the other so the builders could remove the load bearing wall.

1-8.jpg

New view from the dining room ….

1-9.jpg

New view from the kitchen ….

1-10.jpg

With the steel in situ I got to work with the network cabling

1-12.jpg

2 x Ethernets (POE) to an iPAD running HomeSeer for smart home integration. I ran two with one being a spare (you never know!)

Also ran four to two areas of the kitchen. Two in the ceiling for a WAP and two into the dining room. Then a further 10 sitting waiting up in the ceiling to be pulled down for the living room refurb.

2-2.jpg

I didn't want to put any more holes through the steel, so the plasterer was happy to tuck them away when he was ready to board over.

2-3.jpg

We wanted to tile throughout the hallway (2 other adjacent rooms) and into the kitchen / utility room. This was a nightmare. So quite a big job.

The previous owners tiled on top of some lino. The lino was a b*tch to get up.

3-1.jpg

3-2.jpg

Our plasterer boarded and done the ceiling but hurt his shoulder. Which meant he couldn't do our walls. This had a knock on affect and we didn't want to loose our tiler. So we cracked on with the tiling which wasn't ideal as we needed to plaster the walls on completion.

3-3.jpg

We pulled all the skirts off … and brought the tiles in from the garage (where they had been sitting for 18 months)

3-4.jpg

3-5.jpg

We eventually found a new plasterer and we made sure to cover up the new floor. Also took out the ghastly archway between the dining room and living room.

4-2.jpg

4-1.jpg

Next was the plumbing of two new rads which can be seen on the left and right. Followed by some decorating just as the units arrived from DIY-KITCHENS.

5-1.jpg

5-2.jpg

Here's the ironing board I treated Mrs Pade to for putting up with the mess whilst being pregnant.

Its completely useless (not that I would know)

5-3.jpg

This is where it all started to take shape ….

6-1.jpg

6-2.jpg

6-3.jpg

We got our work tops from Natural Stone Surfaces. Unbeknown to us the person who carried out the templating put a note on the system stating Mrs Pade was close to her due date where they phoned us a couple of days later with a cancellation (which we didn't think to ask for) which we thought was a nice touch from them.

Finally, the finished article.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Here you can see the kitchen flowing nicely into the utility room.

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

After months of living in a dust bowl alongside a pregnant woman and a three year old, I'm so pleased its finally done.

Very pleased not only with the quality of the kitchen, but also the price compared to everywhere else we had quotes from. I highly recommend DIY-Kitchens along with Natural Stone Surfaces. From start to finish its been a breeze ordering.

Last edited:
Sgarrista
Commissario
Very pleased not only with the quality of the kitchen, but also the price compared to everywhere else we had quotes from. I highly recommend DIY-Kitchens along with Natural Stone Surfaces. From start to finish its been a breeze ordering.

Would you mind sharing the quotes you had and what you paid? That looks absolutely stunning.

Soldato
I’d assume around £5k for the units from DIY

Ours was £3k (I’ve a thread somewhere) and the OP has quite a few more units along with curved corner units which are quite expensive. For reference though for our same design Magnet we’re talking around £10k and our fitter said he’s recently installed a kitchen from a big brand which wasn’t a patch on the quality (solid ash doors, cBinet finish etc)

DIY Kitchens are superb though and their showroom is great.

Associate
OP
Fantastic, looks really good!

What did you use for your under-cabinet lighting? I'm just trying to sort that myself but not sure what to go for.

Exactly what I was going to ask! :D

We ended up using these "LE 5M LED Strip Lights Kit 300 SMD 2835 LEDs" so £13 for 5 metres. Basic one colour and transformer. A bit of wastage in parts (which I've kept hold of) and only one area I've had to join. They are controlled by Z-Wave wall switches. So the server can switch them on and off (sunset/bedtime) plus we can control them locally.

There are 13A sockets above the wall units and beneath the base units behind the plinths.

This thread may help ...

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/plinth-and-undercab-lighting.18846577/

Last edited:
Caporegime
We ended up using these "LE 5M LED Strip Lights Kit 300 SMD 2835 LEDs" so £13 for 5 metres. Basic one colour and transformer. A bit of wastage in parts (which I've kept hold of) and only one area I've had to join. They are controlled by Z-Wave wall switches. So the server can switch them on and off (sunset/bedtime) plus we can control them locally.

There are 13A sockets above the wall units and beneath the base units behind the plinths.

This thread may help ...

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/plinth-and-undercab-lighting.18846577/

Ah nice, thanks.

Associate
I think my kitchen, which was 19 units, including 2 x 1000 larders, 2 oven towers, wall and base units and 8m of oak worktop was under 7k from DIY kitchens. My fitter who has fitted for Howdens for years was impressed with the quality. Easily as good as Howdens kitchens (and about 4K cheaper)

Associate
OP
Including the utility room we had around 26 base and wall units.

MYPLAN.png

The price bumped up due to the tall corner larder unit and 2 x magic corner base units.

So units came to around £6500. These came pre-built.

We couldn't find tall corner larder units elsewhere neither could we find 1000mm larder units.

Here's the utility room from the other thread …

Utility-Room-Play-Room-14.jpg

Utility-Room-Play-Room-15.jpg

The nice thing about DIY-Kitchens is you can colour match your carcasses also if you wasn't going to have décor panels (not sure where else you can do this and keep the cost down)

The décor end panels weren't cheap, so along with cornices, pelmets and skirts we had to stick another £1500 on top.

Work tops (Star Galaxy Granite) came in at around £4500 … all in all minus the sinks, taps and appliances it came in under £13k - Which for the amount of kitchen and utility room we had along with granite through out is a bargain.

During our planning stage and where we didn't really know what to do first as to last, Magnet wanted £5K just for the utility room so we never went back for a kitchen quote.

B&Q was around £14k but the quality wasn't and at this stage we had already been to the DIY-Kitchens show room twice.

Wickes after their many, many discounts came in around £19k

We never tried Wren due to the awful after sales reviews we read and never went to Howdens because of the kitchens we had seen installed in other peoples homes didn't grab our attention.

This was our kitchen fitters 2nd DIY-Kitchens install in 3 weeks (after 15 years experience) he said his kitchen was up for a refurb in the next 12 months and he was convinced to install one for his own home.

Definitely worth the trek (2 hours for us) to the show room, some fantastic kitchens in there plus they do look after you with refreshments and a hassle free walk around. No sales pitches, no pushy sales people and more than happy to help when you approach them.

The online design tool is pretty cool where your basket tops up or down as and when you drop carcasses on or off the planner. Even dropping in end / filler panels where needed.

We had a very good experience start to finish.

Last edited:
Associate
Looks really good!

I'm going to be doing similar in the near future (removal of a supporting wall & new kitchen), and whenever I look, DIY kitchens do keep coming back as a top contender (although I've not gone fully into all costs etc yet).

If you paid ~£6500 for the units, was this fitted, or just delivered? I'll be looking at fitting the majority myself.

Associate
My cost (7k) was delivered. Also it is worth paying for the 2 man (Silver) delivery as some of the stuff is very heavy. I think my larders were over 65kg each and the work tops were over 75kg each.
I found a local kitchen fitter who charged me day rate (£150 a day). He put me in touch with an appliance wholesaler (Swift) who were on average 20% cheaper than anyone (even with bundle deals) on the internet for appliances. I bought Bosch across the board except for Sink and Taps which were Franke.

Associate
OP
If you paid ~£6500 for the units, was this fitted, or just delivered? I'll be looking at fitting the majority myself.

That was just delivered and as posted by SimonR we went with the silver delivery service also. Fair weight to the bigger units so well worth it.

Associate
I just re-checked my final quote and it was £6032 delivered, the units were Luca in Carbon. We were missing some shelves and they sent the wrong front for the fridge and dishwasher. I updated my online ticket with them and the missing / wrong parts were delivered within 7 days (which considering they had to be manufactured was very impressive). No arguing or quibbling, just really very good customer service. Compared to the nightmare that our friends had with Wren I am more than happy with DIY Kitchens. (This is our second kitchen from them and my family's third and every-time it has been the same experience).

Associate
OP
I just re-checked my final quote and it was £6032 delivered, the units were Luca in Carbon. We were missing some shelves and they sent the wrong front for the fridge and dishwasher. I updated my online ticket with them and the missing / wrong parts were delivered within 7 days (which considering they had to be manufactured was very impressive). No arguing or quibbling, just really very good customer service. Compared to the nightmare that our friends had with Wren I am more than happy with DIY Kitchens. (This is our second kitchen from them and my family's third and every-time it has been the same experience).

Yes the customer service was excellent I would definitely use again and I'm always recommending them now.

Back
Top Bottom