Road Cycling

Soldato
Nice. I was out there 3 weeks ago... Some very variable weather, never really warmer than 20C high. I ended up taking a gilet and arm warmers at least on every ride. This was the scene on Sa Batalla one of the days. Completely empty Repsol petrol station when we got to the top!

Wow, that looks like the Scottish Highlands rather than Mallorca. Repsol station was mobbed yesterday.

Same here now with a 20C high, with sun or mixed clouds. IdI heard the weather had been very messy in the previous week's with some silly wind and rain .

Hope you got some good rides in .

Soldato
[QUOTE="Jonny ///M, post: 32684415, member: 32683"

That is annoying! It would have worked fine with the old R785 calipers as they had a banjo fitting on the side of the caliper. I've never used anything that would help your situation tbh.

Dolan sent me a bike of a built bike - once done, the bend in the hose doesn't look like a huge kink.

WPWyHLrl.jpg [/QUOTE]

Aye that looks fine. I'd screw the hose in whilst the caliper isn't bolted down though to stop you cross threading it.

Soldato
Fixed my creak when shifting. Rear gear cable where it routes around the BB needed a bit of love. I just used WD40 (don’t kill me!). It gets blasted with road spray a bit there so the cables will cop it.

Hopefully I have no other noises, last time I had a creak while pedalling I was sure it was the wheel but the gears started to skip a bit on my last ride on the road.

The wheel feels fine in the hand, maybe a touch of wear/rumble on one bearing. Maybe it’s all related to the gear cable just dragging a touch idk.

Soldato
Is Rob Castle anyone from here? Got a Strava add and the name rings a bell, but account is locked down so can't get any hints.

We're having a terrible time in Mallorca ;)

Weather is pretty good and a solid 18 during the day. It even held up whilst doing the Lluc loop from Porto Pollenca today .

Cheers!

sGe8P8t.jpg

EORc5Du.jpg
Please include any jealousy pics in spoiler tags for the rest of us, thanks! Although slightly redeemed to hear you're having a terrible time! ;)

6 days until I'm away to Kos. It's gonna be amazing but I'm wounded it's not somewhere I can get out to ride from. Hopefully next year I can get my way! All inclusive, apartment space and on site waterpark won this time around with the 1.5 year old...

I once got home on 99.6 miles with my backside so sore that I didn't even go round the block to tip over 100...
Amateur. Everyone knows to do the extra miles first! ;)

bend like that is fine in a hydro hose. I'd probably even be happy enough with a bend like that in a cable.
Yup bends like that are fine, just think of the bends they have around the headtube/bars.

Nice. I was out there 3 weeks ago... Some very variable weather, never really warmer than 20C high. I ended up taking a gilet and arm warmers at least on every ride. This was the scene on Sa Batalla one of the days. Completely empty Repsol petrol station when we got to the top!

1l4QIzH.jpg
Wow that looks pretty surreal, a wet, cold snowy Majorca. I realise where it is geographically being very temperate means it gets rain, to be fair the amount of greenery around there it must have quite a 'wet' season. But I hadn't imagined snow! :)

Fixed my creak when shifting. Rear gear cable where it routes around the BB needed a bit of love. I just used WD40 (don’t kill me!). It gets blasted with road spray a bit there so the cables will cop it.

Hopefully I have no other noises, last time I had a creak while pedalling I was sure it was the wheel but the gears started to skip a bit on my last ride on the road.

The wheel feels fine in the hand, maybe a touch of wear/rumble on one bearing. Maybe it’s all related to the gear cable just dragging a touch idk.
The plastic cable guide thing around the BB that's exposed to all weather is a bit of a design flaw. My Defy got so much filth/water there the only thing I found that stayed put (and provided lubrication through winter conditions) was a Morgan Blue 'aquaproof paste'. I use it loads.

Soldato
6 days until I'm away to Kos. It's gonna be amazing but I'm wounded it's not somewhere I can get out to ride from. Hopefully next year I can get my way! All inclusive, apartment space and on site waterpark won this time around with the 1.5 year old...

I enjoyed blasting around on a dodgy quad bike there. Might be an idea :)

Soldato
Sorry for all the questions, thank you for your help. Let me know if there's anything that I've missed. I'm getting my bike serviced tomorrow and will have a new chain and cassette.
During the event find a group riding at your pace and try to stick with them. If you can ride most of it like that then you will conserve a lot energy.

Soldato
+ make some more cycling friends! :D

I enjoyed blasting around on a dodgy quad bike there. Might be an idea :)
Lol I'll give it a miss. I grew up on a farm where abusing quad bikes and doing wheelies where part of day-to-day life...! I'm a responsible adult/parent now (and have to keep reminding myself such). ;)

Soldato
During the event find a group riding at your pace and try to stick with them. If you can ride most of it like that then you will conserve a lot energy.

Thanks! Im sure there’ll be a few slow coaches like me on the ride. A few keep coming out of the woodwork at the hospital who are on the ride, so might stand a decent chance.

Got some new stash through today, so few more prepared. Just got to psych myself up for a long ride post nights tomorrow!

@Roady - I think I need more cycling friends if I’m going to carry on doing longer distances!

Soldato
Back in the country after 4 weeks on holiday, and rode my bike for the first time yesterday, felt very very alien at first and still feels a bit odd today, legs aren't quite there even though I've been doing a bit of running, but hoping to get back to normal at the weekend. Nice it has warmed up whilst I was away, but not quite the 35c+ I have been used to in Vietnam and Cambodia, although slightly less sweat has been good!

Soldato
I'd take the cold over less sweat any day! Spent a weekend in Hungary last summer, 33C and 300% humidity in a hotel without A/C. Unbearable. Similar over in North Carolina in the summer but at least they generally have A/C.

Soldato
I can't be riding sweaty, my sweat makes me itch - sets off eczema then I'm itching like mad.

Definitely I'd take being colder/cooler. I should probably move to Scotland or something :D

Soldato
@Roady - I think I need more cycling friends if I’m going to carry on doing longer distances!
That's still not a bad idea to have! I've made several new good friends through riding! :)

I'd take the cold over less sweat any day! Spent a weekend in Hungary last summer, 33C and 300% humidity in a hotel without A/C. Unbearable. Similar over in North Carolina in the summer but at least they generally have A/C.
Humidity is the worst, absolutely miserable to be riding in. I think just because where we are (UK) we're very shielded from much humidity, whenever we do get any I absolutely suffer. I can do heat and cold, but not humidity!

I can't be riding sweaty
I have no option to ride without sweat, haha! I'm not sweaty particularly but my head does melt like an ice cream. You'll generally find me in a cap even in the middle of the summer, I have no hairline to speak of anymore and without it the sweat gets in my eyes! :lol:

Associate
Managed to hit my first 100+ Km ride at the weekend. Knee was sore but only lasted a day or two.
Will spin the legs out at the weekend. I'm hoping that it was just a lack of training and nothing more serious.

Associate
I'm ready to launch my bike out the window. The front derailer is massively rubbing and no amount of adjustment to the FD is doing anything. Also, can't get the rear indexed but, think this is due to the extreme chain rub at the front.

Soldato
Did a 50 mile ride in the end post nights. Thought it would be better to sleep more and also see the child. On the plus side it felt a whole lot better than before with much more reserve in the legs. Tried eating on the fly and electrolyte drink as well which made a positive difference. Will do another 25 miles tomorrow morning! Need to figure out what I’m doing next week. I probably need to do a medium ride at some point at the start of the week before concentrating on rest.

Soldato
First longer ride since holiday today. Lot colder than I expected it to be with the wind, full on leg warmers, boots and gloves.. Tougher than expected after about 90 mins. Seems my Endurance isn't quite there yet. Did a few z3 efforts and they seemed OK got quite a bit tougher above this though. Hopefully come back in next few days.

Back
Top Bottom