**** The Official Google Pixel 3 Thread ****

Soldato
That's me, had to send S7 Edge back to the insurance company for re-repair today so on a major fence right now.

Battery looks average from reviews and given the outdated physical design of the phone and fact that Pixel 3a is rumoured to have the 3.5mm jack, it really irks me that this doesn't. I even watched a teardown video and they literally have no excuse not sticking one in or bigger battery for that matter. I can probably live without SD storage but would have been nice to have that option.

On the other hand the camera does look the bees knees, with only limitation being the single sensor on the back. While I had the P30 Pro, it was really nice to have the ultra wide angle, found it far more useful than the telephoto one. Then there's the fabled pure Android experience but honestly, S7 still runs smoothly enough most of the time for my needs as I don't play games.

Soldato
That's me, had to send S7 Edge back to the insurance company for re-repair today so on a major fence right now.

Battery looks average from reviews and given the outdated physical design of the phone and fact that Pixel 3a is rumoured to have the 3.5mm jack, it really irks me that this doesn't. I even watched a teardown video and they literally have no excuse not sticking one in or bigger battery for that matter. I can probably live without SD storage but would have been nice to have that option.

On the other hand the camera does look the bees knees, with only limitation being the single sensor on the back. While I had the P30 Pro, it was really nice to have the ultra wide angle, found it far more useful than the telephoto one. Then there's the fabled pure Android experience but honestly, S7 still runs smoothly enough most of the time for my needs as I don't play games.

Order yourself a P3 and go and browse the MM and you can have a wide angle lens kit too :p

Associate
My pixel 3 xl has just started to turn off randomly now?

There's 36% battery left, and it just turns off.

Even when I've turned it back on and plugged it in to charge, it just turns off!

Any idea what's wrong?

Associate
My pixel 3 xl has just started to turn off randomly now?

There's 36% battery left, and it just turns off.

Even when I've turned it back on and plugged it in to charge, it just turns off!

Any idea what's wrong?

I don't have a pixel 3 but with other items i have had that is usually a sign the battery is kaput.

Soldato
I keep reading tech sites which seem to suggest the Pixel 3 hasn't been selling well. Google are blaming everyone but themselves it seems.

I'm a pixel fan (loosely), it's mainly the software more than anything. Thing is, with such a premium price now (gone are the days of the nexus) the sofware is buggy and the hardware is very meh.

To be honest, other than the camera (and let's be honest, the s10 and others are almost as good) it's a pretty crap phone.

Associate
I had my Pixel 3 for a week now , much better experience than the S10 . Yes the battery is poor vs the S10 , yes the screen is not as big or as sharp etc etc , nor does it have dual sims , but the general usability is so much better. Time to offload the S10 and iPhone X that i have surplus now. Oh and my Apple Watch , i think i have been converted over.

Soldato
I keep reading tech sites which seem to suggest the Pixel 3 hasn't been selling well. Google are blaming everyone but themselves it seems.

I'm a pixel fan (loosely), it's mainly the software more than anything. Thing is, with such a premium price now (gone are the days of the nexus) the sofware is buggy and the hardware is very meh.

To be honest, other than the camera (and let's be honest, the s10 and others are almost as good) it's a pretty crap phone.

I genuinely don't think they should charge as high a premium as they do for the handsets in all honesty. As you've said there are elements that are great but the hardware definitely seems a bit underwhelming with every release (camera aside) compared to the competition at the price point.

If they could hit that £599 price point at a maximum they could easily eat into that OnePlus market where they are now falling into the trap of becoming more and more expensive. A lot of people would struggle to resist a Pixel 4 at £599 on release.

Since the nexus 4 I've only ever bought my phones from Google. Other than the nexus 6, I've had them all as they felt an upgrade worth purchasing.

The pixel 3 however really did not. The price was high. The specs underwhelming. The front design poor. The software upgrade wasn't there as the pixel 2 had the latest android before pixel 3 came out this time around.

I ordered 3, then cancelled them all as I realised the phone was pants compared to what it should be.

They only has themselves to blame. Pixel 3a will sell poorly too if not worse

Soldato
Since the nexus 4 I've only ever bought my phones from Google. Other than the nexus 6, I've had them all as they felt an upgrade worth purchasing.

The pixel 3 however really did not. The price was high. The specs underwhelming. The front design poor. The software upgrade wasn't there as the pixel 2 had the latest android before pixel 3 came out this time around.

I ordered 3, then cancelled them all as I realised the phone was pants compared to what it should be.

They only has themselves to blame. Pixel 3a will sell poorly too if not worse

Yep, and knowing Google the Pixel 3a will be something daft like £499 or even £599 which is where the pixel 3 should have been.

V_R

V_R

Soldato
I didn't go for that 02 P3 deal in the end, I just couldn't get past that flipping notch, RAM issues etc.

I shall hold out for the 4 or maybe, looking at the leaks, the 3a XL.

https://www.droid-life.com/2019/05/01/pixel-3a-xl-all-specs-features/

Interesting news on the price if true but take it with a pinch of salt as the 'leak' is from that clickbaity dick that was doing the same in the run up to the P3 release.

According to YouTube channel This is Tech Today, who received images of the Pixel 3a box from a source, the Pixel 3a and Pixel 3a XL with 64GB storage will be priced at $399 and $479, respectively. There could be 128GB models too, but pricing for those has not been revealed.

Last edited:
Soldato
I didn't either and frankly 3a and 3a XL are looking very good with every leak. Same camera capabilities, slightly larger battery capacities with mid range SoCs, headphone jack (I ain't letting go Jack :p) and even some rumours that they will have OLED screens. Loses one selfie camera and just sticks with wide angle but no tears lost there. Looks almost exactly the same too which says a lot about Google's decision of bringing 2016 design to 2018 phone.

They tried to Apple it out a bit too much with software over hardware on the 3 by the looks of it and it's biting them on the behind now with sales.

Soldato
I didn't go for that 02 P3 deal in the end, I just couldn't get past that flipping notch, RAM issues etc.

I shall hold out for the 4 or maybe, looking at the leaks, the 3a XL.

If you go for a 3a over a 3 for the same price you are nuts.

Hold for the 4 if the 3 did not tick your boxes

https://www.droid-life.com/2019/05/01/pixel-3a-xl-all-specs-features/

Interesting news on the price if true but take it with a pinch of salt as the 'leak' is from that clickbaity dick that was doing the same in the run up to the P3 release.

wait for the 4 yes, but getting the 3a over the 3 when the 3 was at that o2 price point makes no sense.

Last edited:
Soldato

I'm personally happy that the Nexus days are gone (I had the Galaxy Nexus, 4, 5 & 6). Whilst they were aggressively priced, you also had to concede on expectation in a lot of areas such as the camera compared to what other manufacturers were capable of putting out at the time.

I think you're letting your emotions make rash comments here as there's no way the Pixel line can be regarded as 'crap'.

You have:
  • One of the latest top end SoCs (The 855 wasn't announced until December '18 so wasn't available, it's purely a launch phasing)
  • Two tone flash
  • A dedicated sensor for filtering out artificial light flicker (Do other manufacturers offer this? I honestly have no idea)
  • A display that was rated A+ by DisplayMate
  • Stereo speakers
  • Market leading computational photography
  • Fast finger print scanner (Most phones have a good FP scanner these days, but these in display ones are a regression from what I've read)
  • Security with latest patches and Titan M chip
Yes, there are issues according to reports (I've genuinely not experienced them) such as the memory management*, camera app launch responsiveness*, screen flash* and fast wireless charge. From what I've read, there have been updates that have addressed the ones I've marked with an asterisk but some are saying they're not completely fixed.

This is all down to what you want as a consumer and what you're willing to compromise on. For example, I believe some of the features on Huawei phones are extremely useful such as the face recognition on the Mate 20 Pro and the periscope lens on the P30 Pro, but I'm not willing to have those if I then have to put up with slow updates and sub-par photos from the main sensor (P30 Pro main sensor photos in daylight are awful). I'm guessing Huawei have now solved the issue of Android Auto not working on their phones?

The Pixel 3 isn't the best looking phone that you marvel at and I believe edge to edge screens are an engineering/design feat, but I personally believe they make phones harder to use. Over time, the aspect ratio of devices has changed and they're now getting tall and narrow to the point you struggle to reach the top of the device with your thumb.

The reason Google don't sell many phones is purely down to brand power & equity. Google certainly have plenty of those things when people think about the internet, search and services but they're minnows compared to Apple & Samsung when it comes to mobile phones/devices. In the industry I work in, we have competitors such as Panasonic who have very weak brand power/equity for the products in question but their overall scores as a brand are clearly strong.

I had my Pixel 3 for a week now , much better experience than the S10 . Yes the battery is poor vs the S10 , yes the screen is not as big or as sharp etc etc , nor does it have dual sims , but the general usability is so much better. Time to offload the S10 and iPhone X that i have surplus now. Oh and my Apple Watch , i think i have been converted over.

I would research a little before dumping Apple if I were you. If you're a serious wearables user, you'll find EVERYTHING will pale massively in comparison to the Apple Watch.

Soldato
Two main issues for me that stopped me getting it were the average battery life and the 3.5mm jack. I remember standing in shop and looking at it in flesh next to my S7 Edge and both looked like phones from 2016. Sure Pixel is a little more subtle in that cool understated look but phones are very similar in size with Samsung a little bigger.

Here's the thing though, I don't mind the older aesthetic but at the same time despite similar dimensions they removed so many creature comforts we took for granted in 2016. LED notification which is gone in newer "infinity display" phones (plenty of space here), SD storage (somewhat negated by Google Photos) and I'm sure I've annoyed plenty of people by now with this, the headphone jack that I use a lot. For me it's just plain anti consumer to get rid of that, especially when both phones have exact IP68 certification. Samsung is 2 and a half years older and also manages to pack a higher resolution display in (which is overkill to be fair) and 3600 mAh battery compared to 2900ish mAh of the Pixel.

Both have wireless charging so only physical feature Pixel has on Samsung that I can think of is dual selfie camera which in my case ranks lowly on list of priorities. That and of course 2018 SoC with both packing 4GB of RAM. They just didn't utilise the space inside the phone that well when they didn't have to work around the limitations of a bezel-less design. Looking at leaked specs of 3a and 3aXL it's almost as if they realised that and included slightly larger batteries with 3.5mm jack. I'm sure screens won't be as nice and slower in game performance but in day to day use it should remain smooth with that fabled pure Android experience.

I am somewhat gutted though because the camera looks second to none and arguably still the best single lens camera solution on the market. I really hope they include an ultra wide rear camera on the next Pixel, I'd rather see that than telephoto and stick with super zoom for magnification needs.

EDIT:

Well considering it will be the price of what the p3 was for 2 weeks on 02 deal with a lower spec. Some leaks say plastic build I don't get why that would appeal ?

Well it would address my two biggest issues above, battery life with larger capacity and less power hungry SoC and headphone jack. I always have my phones in cases so build quality is only as good as that of Spigen material :D

Soldato
According to GSMArena, the battery is only 85mAh more in the 3a. I would agree with others, the 3 at the crazy price it was would have been a better option, with the money you saved (buying a better phone!) you could have got some good Bluetooth headphones ;)

Back
Top Bottom