Temping deal on a FN2 TypeR Civic

Associate
Good Morning

I work in a co-op on saturdays and i've had a well know customer come that works for a local VW dealer. I have had qute a few conversations about PX as he has had some intresting PX's in his time. Anyway a while ago i said to him if he has anything intresting come in let me know. So he has and its a black 07 Car with 45,000 mile on the clock. He told me its spotless and they guy was ocd. Ive been told i can have it for £5500 (I think i can lower that as its going to be auction car at that age) Is this a good deal? I drive around 15,000 miles a year so need somthing reliable and will this be? . Is it still the normal checks on hondas for this model? oil,rust, brakes?

I asume running cost will be nearly the same as what my old NA MK2 Mr2 was? 20+Mpg?

Associate
Really great reliable cars. Mine used to get about 23-26mpg in normal use and 31mpg on a long journey at 60mph. I would say that's overpriced though. Mine was a 2008 with 98k or so on the clock and I had almost no interest in it. Ended up selling for £3k. From the two civics I've had both have had their electric mirrors fail (easy cheap DIY fix) , both have had their A/C fail(never bothered fixing) and both have had ABS sensors fail(cheap) . They've also both had their clutches go and surprisingly the type R was about £100 cheaper than the 1.8, coming in at about £275.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Well he's hardly going to say it's covered in crap and the guy was a slob, is he?
Actually yes. As I've had other cars mentioned and he's been quite honest and said what price but also been clear on the condition. He's offered me a rusty 200sx before for the engine and made it very clear the rest was scrap.

Soldato
Depends how much you value the low mileage I suppose. It does sound very expensive to me too - they aren't a particularly desirable car at the moment so you're paying purely for the mileage.

Trouble is you can buy a very good example from someone who has been trying to sell for a while for a good sum less than this one.

My 2009 car was sold 3 years ago for the kind of money you're looking at on this one

Soldato
I've owned 2

Pretty much what Woody said above.

normal checks on service history, rusty roof, third gear.

the stock headunit is garbage and cant really power the sound system, I upgraded mine and it made a huge difference.

also installed eibach springs and 17inch aftermarket wheels which transformed the ride comfort. I commuted in mine for 3 years doing around 12-14K per annum. fuel ecomony on my commute averaged between 30-35mpg

The paint on these cars is very very thin and the calipers can be prone to sticking and needing a refurb/replacing.

mechanically as long as it has a good service history will run for a long long time, the engines are very well put together.

the price is ok because of the low mileage but nothing to scream about

Soldato
Bit of a hijack here but would 105k on a 1.8 civic type s 2007 with full service history put anyone off?
Guy wants £2k for it and it's just passed MOT

Soldato
If the car is in good order then no they last forever really.

If it has the ishift box however do yourself a favour and don't go near it - they're awful

Soldato
If the car is in good order then no they last forever really.

If it has the ishift box however do yourself a favour and don't go near it - they're awful

It seems so, last report from the MOT had 2 advisories - needs a new tyre, and theres a bit of surface rust near the suspension on the front. No i-shift thank god!

Associate
I paid about £4400 for an 09 with 97k on it last year but I was happy with the price as it had one owner since new and had been on an extended Honda warranty so had all sorts of stuff replaced. As has been said it depends how much you value the low mileage.

They are very reliable cars, not particularly fast by today’s standards but good fun. I get 18-20mpg round town and 34-35 on motorway runs

Back
Top Bottom