• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

** The AMD Navi Thread **

Soldato
So possible vega refresh at the under radeon 7 power? And navi for everything under that replacing rx 5xx series?

Radeon vii
Vega 2, 64 would explain that new pcb we saw
Vega 2, 56
Navi 20
Navi 10

? ???

Idk, that sounds quite strange. Just thinking about it, that means it would be on 7nm and all the power savings of going that route will be negated by doing it with gddr6. So essentially you'll have a V64, just with different memory type, and perhaps not even as fast since if we look at 2070 vs V64 it's 448 GB/s vs 484 GB/s and we know for sure it's going to take a lot more bandwidth until there's a point of diminishing returns based on the VII. And would it even be cheaper to do it with GDDR6? R&D notwithstanding for actually getting Vega to work with GDDR6, the memory itself doesn't seem to be cheaper than HBM2 at this point.

We might be overthinking this, and the Vega logos are just for the APU branding.

Soldato
Idk, that sounds quite strange. Just thinking about it, that means it would be on 7nm and all the power savings of going that route will be negated by doing it with gddr6. So essentially you'll have a V64, just with different memory type, and perhaps not even as fast since if we look at 2070 vs V64 it's 448 GB/s vs 484 GB/s and we know for sure it's going to take a lot more bandwidth until there's a point of diminishing returns based on the VII. And would it even be cheaper to do it with GDDR6? R&D notwithstanding for actually getting Vega to work with GDDR6, the memory itself doesn't seem to be cheaper than HBM2 at this point.

We might be overthinking this, and the Vega logos are just for the APU branding.
You might be right
I was thinking it was a vega 2 , 7nm but with gddr6 but yeah that seems odd
Basically a radeon 7 with 8gb and gddr6 instead

Caporegime
Just remember

4197964acf538aad4db6f549e31fb75dd205f14c5a992ebe8a319c62e0dacf31.png

:p

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Lol guys :D

Hopefully not the case with Navi. They just need to price it right, as I am not expecting anything special on the performance front this time. If they can improve on price for performance like they did with Ryzen, it will be a win.

Soldato
Lol guys :D

Hopefully not the case with Navi. They just need to price it right, as I am not expecting anything special on the performance front this time. If they can improve on price for performance like they did with Ryzen, it will be a win.
Unfortunately I have been on the forums through releases by amd and have read this comment before, "as long as they price it right" , "as long as it is XYZ performance" but every time its a let down.

Soldato
Was Radeon 7 a disappointment? It wasn't hard to see where it would land, you only get so much from a die shrink, not miracles
At launch it was, the drivers were a massive mess, overclocking and undervolting required black magic to work if even at all, performance was under a 1080ti/2080, fan curve was a joke and temps were on the limit of throttling
Now however it is a monster and the drivers are outstanding, i am somewhere between 2080 and 2080ti and it undervolts better than a vega 64

Soldato
I think that's being misrepresented. She said;

What we have done with Sony is really architect something for their application, for their special sauce.

So I don't think she means it'll have some special tech we don't know about yet, just that the Ryzen architecture fitted in with Sony's requirements for PS5. Of course, it's likely just all marketing BS anyway.

Back
Top Bottom