Was it difficult adjusting to a smaller Enter key?

Associate
I have always used keyboards with a full-size Enter key.

I've noticed a large majority of modern keyboards have a small (half-size) Enter key.

For those of you that had to go from full-size to a half-size Enter key with the purchase of a new keyboard: Was it difficult to adjust?

Soldato
Not really, although I think it depends on how much actual typing you do. I've had a variety of keyboards, some with small enter keys and I've never noticed the difference. The only thing I've had to adjust to was the height of the keys on my mechanical keyboard - keep hitting the wrong ones

Soldato
I actually returned a laptop partly because of the keyboard layout. Small return key and the \ key being to the right of the space bar rather than between shift and Z keys were two things that irritated me. There's just no need for them to be like that on a so-called UK layout.

Soldato
I actually returned a laptop partly because of the keyboard layout. Small return key and the \ key being to the right of the space bar rather than between shift and Z keys were two things that irritated me. There's just no need for them to be like that on a so-called UK layout.

For me the return not so much. Current laptop has the shift key in the wrong place. Just impossible to adjust to it.

Soldato
I'm struggling to find a keyboard layout which is close to my Logitech K200. :(

This is what I like about it:
  • Backslash key in between the Shift and Z keys
  • Large Enter key
  • The layout of the Insert, Home, Page Up, Delete, End and Page Down keys is is a 3x2 layout and isn't crammed in
  • Basic multimedia keys, such and Internet, Email, Calculator and Volume Up/Down
I've tried some of the cheaper keyboards, but they don't feel too good to me.

Soldato
I like a full size for my desktop. The Corsair k70 RGB suits my needs.

That being said, my laptop has a tiny enter key and after a day or so I was completely used to it, and even switching back and forth doesn’t bother me after a minute or so.

I would have one for my desktop, but if I had to I could.

Soldato
I'm struggling to find a keyboard layout which is close to my Logitech K200. :(

This is what I like about it:
  • Backslash key in between the Shift and Z keys
  • Large Enter key
  • The layout of the Insert, Home, Page Up, Delete, End and Page Down keys is is a 3x2 layout and isn't crammed in
  • Basic multimedia keys, such and Internet, Email, Calculator and Volume Up/Down
I've tried some of the cheaper keyboards, but they don't feel too good to me.

Standard UK layout, multimedia hotkeys aside.

Soldato
Indeed, but try finding a good quality wired keyboard that is reasonably priced. The Logitech K120 comes close for me, but it has no multimedia keys.

Corsair K70 RGB. Full size, nice media controls including scroller for volume (I hate buttons), your choice of Cherry MX switches, and a full size enter key.

Soldato
Corsair K70 RGB. Full size, nice media controls including scroller for volume (I hate buttons), your choice of Cherry MX switches, and a full size enter key.
The backslash key isn't between the Shift and Z keys and it has a small Enter key. :(

Soldato
The backslash key isn't between the Shift and Z keys and it has a small Enter key. :(

You sir, may be the pickiest Keyboard buyer in existence :p

That being said, I don’t think this is the case; here’s a closeup of the aforementioned keys on my K70. Excuse the weird colour shift, I'm a sado with hue lights in my setup :D

K70RGB-m.jpg

Backslash between Shift and 'Z', and Enter is twice the height and two to three times wider than the standard keys. Unless I've completely misinterpreted?

Soldato
You sir, may be the pickiest Keyboard buyer in existence :p

That being said, I don’t think this is the case; here’s a closeup of the aforementioned keys on my K70. Excuse the weird colour shift, I'm a sado with hue lights in my setup :D

K70RGB-m.jpg

Backslash between Shift and 'Z', and Enter is twice the height and two to three times wider than the standard keys. Unless I've completely misinterpreted?
Actually I've gone back to where I've seen the keyboard and it shows two layouts - confusing for picky people like me. :o

2w7fp0l.jpg

2cr3bso.jpg

Soldato
True, but both images were for the same listing. For some reason I only chose to see the wrong image, while at the same time failing to note that it's a USA keyboard. :o

We all have our blonde moments mate.

For what it’s worth I love mine. It’s the original special edition with the ‘flags’ instead of that god awful tramp stamp they used before they realised potential customers were in fact not twelve year olds. I believe the keycap kit I bought for mine also fits the mk2, so I would assume there’s no layout difference. I believe the mk2 uses the ‘proper’ double shot caps and the new font. I do dig the white on black look of mine though.

Software is (finally) superb. The setup possibilities are dizzyingly complex, though there’s a wealth of people making custom profiles on the Corsair forums. For me I just have different profiles for my favourite games. The colour scheme, macros, bindings etc all change depending on the program I’m running. This goes for things like GiMP/photoshop too.

You can also write a profile to the onboard memory if you take it elsewhere or don’t want the software on all the time.

The MX Browns I’ve got on it are loud, o-rings helped a little. That said it’s a pleasure to type on, just as much as it is to frag newbs, and is without doubt the best keyboard I’ve ever used.

There are a few negatives I’ve found with my own unit, and it’d be remiss of me not to mention them:
  • The cord is super thick and has two connectors; both for usb 2.0, one for 3.0
  • I have an issue where when keys are set to pure white some of them have a blue or pink tinge. In fairness I have had it for many years, and it appears there are some fixes online which I’m yet to try. With a bit of DIY I could swap the offending switches out if necessary, though I don’t notice it on any other colour.
  • No dedicated macro keys (I’d like them, but I wouldn’t trade the features I have for them)
  • The media keys are quite squishy, small and obviously membrane style. Never had an issue with them, but they don’t feel premium.
  • The Mrs decided she’d polish the wrist rest, and whatever she used stripped the lovely soft coating down to bare plastic. Not the poor keyboards fault though really.
Otherwise my (original) K70 RGB has been a very flexible and exceptionally well built keyboard that’s been a pleasure to use. Love the media keys, love the windows lock, love the customiseability, love the macros love the software.

Plus the Z’s in the right place and the Enter key is big :p

EDIT: Looking at the new one, it’s hella sexy. The media keys look a lot more hefty, the volume scroll is even nicer, and the logo illuminates. I almost wish mine would break so I could order it :D

Last edited:
Soldato
@WantoN

Perhaps I have been 'spoilt' by my Logitech K200 - it seems to have everything I want, such as low profile, soft and very quiet keys, multimedia keys, UK layout, non-RGB and a respectable price of around £10 when I bought it about 8 years ago. Sadly it's show it's age, such as fading keys and becoming a little noisy. It'd be easy for me to just buy a K120, but it doesn't have multimedia keys.

Back
Top Bottom