20 million PC gamers could defect from PCs to consoles by 2022

Soldato
I gave PC gaming a go a few years ago, but when I felt like i was having to mess about with folders and various other kinds of things it started to grate on me. Then I fancied a game on the xbox, turned it on and it just worked. No ******* about, just, easily accessible press power button, play game. Job done, and decision made.

Can't say I've had that issue since early Windows XP era tbh, with things like Steam etc these days, it's just as simple to switch on and fire up a game on the PC (until you start messing around with mods etc. of course! ;))

Caporegime
Nobody was forcing you to buy top end everything.

A bit like I could say my console and 77" oled cost me £6500. I would have been better off getting a PC with a dual monitor setup
Err all im saying top end everything now is twice as much, relatively speaking, as top end everything then. No need to get the panties in a twist.

Soldato
https://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/pc-gaming-consoles-report/

With how prices are atm it won't surprise me. It's partly Nvidia's fault. £1500 for a 2080Ti and online etailers gouging. I do believe this will happen. PC market is super greedy on hardware. While I love my PC, it's getting harder to keep up. I'm thinking of getting a PS5 and just build a SFF PC just for browsing and media and go to consoles for gaming. I knew the greed on PC components would be it's downfall.

I used to be a huge PC gamer from 1995 until about the release of the PS4 Pro/Xbox 1X, the difference in graphics between the two platforms are hardly noticable when in motion and playing the game at a fraction of the price, i totally agree that Nvidia are mostly to blame. I remember me whincing at dropping £350 on a top of the range card only a few years ago. The last one i bought is my 980. Now it's at least triple that just to match or slightly exceed current consoles.

So for me i've just been priced out of the market. If it was still the same i wouldn't have both consoles

Associate
it's enticing to pay the price of a mid range GPU for the whole machine and get a consistent (if hobbled) experience and a gated community. I don't want to pay multiplayer subscription though and I tend to pick up games when they drop to £10 or less, so I think the value proposition is skewed for me.

i'd hate to be locked into console modding/dlc scene.

Soldato
it's enticing to pay the price of a mid range GPU for the whole machine and get a consistent (if hobbled) experience and a gated community. I don't want to pay multiplayer subscription though and I tend to pick up games when they drop to £10 or less, so I think the value proposition is skewed for me.

i'd hate to be locked into console modding/dlc scene.

To be fair you can buy games cheap on consoles as well, I used to be a sucker for steam sales but I haven't bought a PC game in years now. Just wait for sale prices on the PS Store or buy from foreign digital stores like the US and combine that with buying slightly cheaper currency cards. You can often buy a PS Plus subscription heavily discounted as well but I don't play online so I've never bothered.

Cheapest way yet is to buy new games on disc at a decent pre-order price, play through it and sell it on but it can take me years to finish a game so that strategy doesn't work for me. :o

Caporegime
Todays high end cards are so expensive because they don't offer anywhere near enough extra performance to justify people upgrading, they hit diminishing returns a few years ago AMD/Nvidia could release a card twice as powerful but you wouldn't get anywhere near double the performance. If a business aren't expecting volume sales from a product they'll just increase the price to compensate.

Looking at AMD's latest GPU which is substantially cheaper than NVidia's offering it appears to be more or less just identical to last gen with a die shrink/clock boost, some CU's disabled to increase yields and doubled HBM/memory bandwidth. At least NVidia are still innovating to be fair to them.

Associate
To be fair you can buy games cheap on consoles as well, I used to be a sucker for steam sales but I haven't bought a PC game in years now. Just wait for sale prices on the PS Store or buy from foreign digital stores like the US and combine that with buying slightly cheaper currency cards. You can often buy a PS Plus subscription heavily discounted as well but I don't play online so I've never bothered.

Cheapest way yet is to buy new games on disc at a decent pre-order price, play through it and sell it on but it can take me years to finish a game so that strategy doesn't work for me. :o
good luck with that when optical drives are removed :eek:
I disagree, the best way is to buy them ten years later from CEX :D

Soldato
Optical drives will never be removed from consoles, not as long as the likes of Sony and MS want them to be a multimedia centre for the living room. Can't play Blu-rays without a disc drive.

Caporegime
You can’t buy many graphics cards for a ton.

1060 3GB is nothing and really people are missing the point when they talk about pc vs console, pc is a workstation that does tons of important things like photo editing/video encoding/rendering etc, really the valid comparison is between the cost of buying a gpu vs a console, and the price difference between the games and online play on the platforms.

I know I will, I rather pay £700 FOR PS5 and run games let say 4k 60fps(they are claiming more) then pay £1.2k for just gpu £899 for decent monitor. Winter is coming for PCMR, and it was brought by Nvidia and Intel xD

Why would you pay £900 for a decent monitor if you already have a tv you can connect the pc too?

Didn't they claim 1080p 60fps on the ps4 and then it turned out games like doom were running at a lower res and being upscaled?

4k is a bit of a red herring too tbh because at the distance most people sit from the tv a perfect spherical lens cannot resolve more than 1080p if that, never mind the human eye.

Last edited:
Soldato
Optical drives will never be removed from consoles, not as long as the likes of Sony and MS want them to be a multimedia centre for the living room. Can't play Blu-rays without a disc drive.

I dunno, DVD and Bluray sales continue to decline as people prefer the convenience of streaming vs quality. I've done it myself when I even own the disc but can't be bothered to get up and I'm a bit quality obsessed as well. :o

The video sector has also been hit by the digital shift. Total video sales, including physical products, were up 10% to £2.3bn, but the number of DVDs sold fell 23.5%, with Blu-ray discs down 12%
https://www.theguardian.com/busines...ell-caps-bad-year-for-high-street-dvd-sellers

Will have to see if it was a particularly bad Christmas but it is pointing towards digital marketplaces / streaming being the future of entertainment. Kinda sucks as even 4k streaming is nowhere close to Bluray quality but 4K discs don't seem to be gaining any traction with consumers.

Shame it doesn't split the DVD / Bluray sales as I bet the majority of those will be cheap DVD purchases.

Associate

PS4 Pro doesn't even have a UHD BluRay Drive. So they have already cut down by not having the latest type of drive.

Soldato
We're all just old farts fellas, time to face reality. I don't think we have many members under the age of 30, the new blood is all over insta and toktok with the rest of the cool kids.

They'll be the ones deciding this, not us.

And Twitch, watching the likes of Ninja and Shroud playing on high end PC setups. I personally think PC is going to grow if anything.

Back
Top Bottom