Is this LCD TV burn in (dark patch)?

Associate
I have a 42" 1080p LCD TV and over the last few weeks I've noticed a rather nasty and distracting dark smudge stuck on the screen.

Pictures:

5pVGZ8H.png

0TLimeY.png

It seems to be roughly in line with the left side of the Sky Guide mini-TV preview box.

WxpP05I.jpg

I'm a bit baffled if that very dark blue area has burnt in if the Sky Guide is to be blame, yet the bright writing hasn't.

Interestingly this dark smudge is much harder to make out on a pure white background, though it is still just about perceptible:

ooj4ZdL.jpg

Anyone able to confirm if this is burn in?

In terms of solutions, I've tried plugging a laptop in and running a full screen epilepsy-inducing video of the kind used to fix stuck pixels for a couple of hours, though with no noticeable improvement.

Any suggestions to fix this would be welcome as I'd rather not have to replace the TV right now.

Associate
OP
May have found a promising solution with the 'cold method':

https://forums.majorgeeks.com/threads/lcd-tv-screen-burn-clouding-fix.281905/

I didn't have anything suitable in so I tried it with a frozen bottle of water. Despite its contact to the screen being quite poor, it definitely seems to have reduced the dark smudge. Will have to try it properly with a pack of bacon or something equally as flat when I next go shopping :p

The warping theory seems to make sense with regard to the position of the Sky Guide and the dark smudge - as the mini-TV preview part would have been getting hotter than the cooler darker parts of the nearby planner screen.

Great choice of film in first pic.

Classic

Aye. Good plain animation is handy as a reference guide for screen defects too :p

But STV is gash though.

No idea what you're on about. Scottish TV? Standard definition TV? Neither apply here.

Associate

I didn't have anything suitable in so I tried it with a frozen bottle of water. Despite its contact to the screen being quite poor, it definitely seems to have reduced the dark smudge. Will have to try it properly with a pack of bacon or something equally as flat when I next go shopping :p

The warping theory seems to make sense with regard to the position of the Sky Guide and the dark smudge - as the mini-TV preview part would have been getting hotter than the cooler darker parts of the nearby planner screen.

Aye. Good plain animation is handy as a reference guide for screen defects too :p

No idea what you're on about. Scottish TV? Standard definition TV? Neither apply here.

The bottom picture is the logo for STV (Scottish TV), probably just a coincidental likeness to some other logo on your TV :)

Associate
OP
The bottom picture is the logo for STV (Scottish TV), probably just a coincidental likeness to some other logo on your TV :)

Ahh that explains it. That wasn't the STV logo, IIRC it's from an advert for Sky On Demand where they have their big blue play button centre-screen at one point.

Caporegime
My Samsung developed that fault. Had the panel changed 3 times. Kept happening. Eventually RS decided it was a more serious problem that wasn’t worth trying to repair any more and gave me a new TV.

Caporegime

Your theory is completely wrong as that isn't a FALD TV.

Therefore the hottest parts is where the LEDs and electronics are located rather than where the screen is brightest.

Therefore the hottest part will be the bottom edge of the TV.

It is a fault with the panel or bonding. If it has remedied it then likely bonding but it will only get worse with time.

TVs are cheap these days and a 42" 1080p will be pennies to replace.

Associate
OP
Your theory is completely wrong as that isn't a FALD TV.

Therefore the hottest parts is where the LEDs and electronics are located rather than where the screen is brightest.

Therefore the hottest part will be the bottom edge of the TV.

It is a fault with the panel or bonding. If it has remedied it then likely bonding but it will only get worse with time.

TVs are cheap these days and a 42" 1080p will be pennies to replace.

Fair enough - I'll admit to largely parroting someone else who the method worked for about the how and why, even though they didn't claim to be particularly ITK.

The TV's done pretty well really, must be at least 11 years old now (I bought it used in 2009). Replacing it for pennies seems a tad optimistic, more like £180+ new, maybe £50 used if I'm lucky and can collect. Either way, the only thing I use the TV for at the moment is Sky and I'm in the cancellation period for that. Therefore feels like the wrong moment to be expending any time/money/effort on TVs, though I guess I should devote some thought to my next move TV-wise if this one's nearing the end of its life.

Caporegime
Fair enough - I'll admit to largely parroting someone else who the method worked for about the how and why, even though they didn't claim to be particularly ITK.

The TV's done pretty well really, must be at least 11 years old now (I bought it used in 2009). Replacing it for pennies seems a tad optimistic, more like £180+ new, maybe £50 used if I'm lucky and can collect. Either way, the only thing I use the TV for at the moment is Sky and I'm in the cancellation period for that. Therefore feels like the wrong moment to be expending any time/money/effort on TVs, though I guess I should devote some thought to my next move TV-wise if this one's nearing the end of its life.

i sold my 42" top end panny plasma about 5 years ago for like £200 over £1K rrp when new.

i sold a top end 55" sony LCD last year for £320 which was only 2 years old and around £1200 RRP when bought.

second hand you will get a cheap tv for buttons judging by what my top end ones went for.

Associate
OP
i sold my 42" top end panny plasma about 5 years ago for like £200 over £1K rrp when new.

i sold a top end 55" sony LCD last year for £320 which was only 2 years old and around £1200 RRP when bought.

second hand you will get a cheap tv for buttons judging by what my top end ones went for.

I had a look and the prices I stated above seem accurate. On eBay the only other used ~42" 1080p LCD TV within 25 miles of me has an asking price of about £120. Mind you I did neglect to check gumtree.

I was surprised not to see any other old beasts for sale with enormous (by today's standards) bezels like mine has. I'm guessing most have died by now? One thing I can praise my TV for is its speaker quality - far better than any other smaller bezel-ed monitors/TVs I've encountered, and no wonder as it's almost like it's got an in-built soundbar below the screen judging by size. Going by the hideous sound quality of my PC monitor, I'd probably be compelled to buy a soundbar along with a replacement TV if my current one packed in.

Caporegime
I had a look and the prices I stated above seem accurate. On eBay the only other used ~42" 1080p LCD TV within 25 miles of me has an asking price of about £120. Mind you I did neglect to check gumtree.

I was surprised not to see any other old beasts for sale with enormous (by today's standards) bezels like mine has. I'm guessing most have died by now? One thing I can praise my TV for is its speaker quality - far better than any other smaller bezel-ed monitors/TVs I've encountered, and no wonder as it's almost like it's got an in-built soundbar below the screen judging by size. Going by the hideous sound quality of my PC monitor, I'd probably be compelled to buy a soundbar along with a replacement TV if my current one packed in.

gumtree is where you should be looking for a cheap local tv. nobody would even think of paying ebay fees on something which requires someone local and is cheap.

Associate
OP
gumtree is where you should be looking for a cheap local tv. nobody would even think of paying ebay fees on something which requires someone local and is cheap.

Looks like slim pickings on Gumtree in my area as well - can get a defective TV or one significantly smaller than mine (in the low 30 inches) for £30-£50. Only other one that's 1080p and 40"+ and fully working they're asking £100.

Either way, I'll happily keep on with the 'cold method' for now.

Back
Top Bottom