Warning: Spoilers ahead ***Avengers: Endgame - Official Thread!***

Soldato
Holding them directly, and them being on some weird nanotech protective Iron-man gauntlet isn't the same thing.

You are correct that he didn't react to the stones power flowing through them, as Thanos and The Hulk had done.....but then that kinda ruins the surprise reveal that he had transferred them.

The snap absolutely killed him to the point that I think "And I am....Iron Man" was his last bit of dialogue you could make out.

I accept the whole technology argument when realistically do we really think that Tony stark could make something better than the dwarves who made mjomlnier, infinite gauntlet and storm breaker? I sure as hell don't. The only reason they got iron man to kill Thanos was just to service the fans and get rid of the character in a way thats epic enough for people not to complain. Realistically he should have died in infinity war whilst everyone else escaped titan after Thanos threw the moon at it. Its lazy writing to be honest and majorly spoiled the ending for me personally.

Woman of Honour
Man of Honour
Hi not sure if this has been discussed in this thread...

I am 99% certain at the beginning of the film they say that you can't speak to your past self...then loads of them do and obviously the Captain has a fight with his. Did they forget this piece of dialogue? Or did I imagine them say that?!

Not a major observation but wondered if anyone else noticed!

BB x

Caporegime
Hi not sure if this has been discussed in this thread...

I am 99% certain at the beginning of the film they say that you can't speak to your past self...then loads of them do and obviously the Captain has a fight with his. Did they forget this piece of dialogue? Or did I imagine them say that?!

Not a major observation but wondered if anyone else noticed!

BB x
Scott Lang said it, and then Tony took the **** out of him for basing his knowledge on back to the future

It was a joke

Soldato
I was fine and accepting of everything until
Old Captain America. Wouldn't it have made more sense if he had come back through the time machine as an old man rather than sitting on the bench. Now we have to wonder how he got there(because unless I misunderstood it, going back in time creates a new timeline and does not affect the current one?). If he had returned through the machine as an old man it would have been fine.

Or am I wrong?

Associate
It took 18 films of setting up Thanos before we really saw him beyond end credit trailers, why can't they just do this again with Doom ?

I'm not saying they can't, but...

Thanos was always a threat to everyone, on Earth and beyond, especially with the Infinity Gems. You didn't really need to know Thanos; Just know they are the oncoming storm. So you can afford to give them a simple goal (destroy the cosmos to make it better, etc). And everyone gets it and is fine with it.

Doom? Doom doesn't have that behind them. If they make Doom into a background mastermind like Thanos, it runs the risk of just being Thanos 2.0, and a full on rehash, that's not what made Thanos great and what made people feel Thanos was a true villian and threat. You also lose out on Fantastic Four connections. As well as miss out on character moments that make viewers understand them as a villian. Then of course, we run into the issue of an ever increasing roster of characters in the MCU now with the Fox properties now available. And Doom doesn't fit well as an encompassing threat to everyone for a matinee main event like say an Unstoppable Ravaging Galactus (who would be a major threat to everyone on Earth and likely beyond if left unchecked). And finally, if they get put into a MCU film, they will inevitibly "lose", as each film is a standalone and the "villian always loses" by the end of the film barring large crossover films. And too many losses doesn't make a villian appear to be competent or threatening enough (or, a "Great" villian); look at Thanos, only lackeys were sent so as not to devalue the threat that Thanos posed.

Maybe akin to Dwayne Johnsons Black Adam, or Jake Gyllenhaal Mysterio, playing as a Villian and part time Anti-Hero would be best. But an MCU encompassing villian as the next villian after Thanos? No.

Woman of Honour
Man of Honour
Scott Lang said it, and then Tony took the **** out of him for basing his knowledge on back to the future

It was a joke

Ok thank you! Must have gone over my head.

Also...
I am sure I saw a photo of Natalie Portman on file or something, was she actually in the film? Who was she?

Think I’m going to have to watch it again as I was clearly distracted!

TIA.

BB x

Soldato
Ok thank you! Must have gone over my head.

Also...
I am sure I saw a photo of Natalie Portman on file or something, was she actually in the film? Who was she?

Think I’m going to have to watch it again as I was clearly distracted!

TIA.

BB x

Briefly, Thor’s love interest who was in Asguard where they took the Ether. Rocket was in the main shot with her in

Soldato
Maybe akin to Dwayne Johnsons Black Adam, or Jake Gyllenhaal Mysterio, playing as a Villian and part time Anti-Hero would be best. But an MCU encompassing villian as the next villian after Thanos? No.

You could have a bunch of films leading up to Doom with tie ins to him with various lesser villains, maybe introduce him part through where he loses, then have a film or 2 where he wins which then transitions into a greater threat where he becomes a hero and we grow to like him but then he turns evil again with altruistic motives like Thanos, there's enough comic material out there for him to be a greater villain than Thanos and we could actually get a full Marvel universe complete with the F4 and X-Men :D

Really ? She's Jane Foster
Thor does a whole monologue explaining his relationship with her
do people not actually pay attention to what they're watching ?

V_R

V_R

Soldato
OP
Interestingly, she didn't actually film anything for Endgame, it was all old footage from T:TDW.

Associate
You could have a bunch of films leading up to Doom with tie ins to him with various lesser villains, maybe introduce him part through where he loses, then have a film or 2 where he wins which then transitions into a greater threat where he becomes a hero and we grow to like him but then he turns evil again with altruistic motives like Thanos, there's enough comic material out there for him to be a greater villain than Thanos and we could actually get a full Marvel universe complete with the F4 and X-Men :D

I'm not saying they can't do that route, but it also puts believability at risk. Where you have a Human, Super Genius and Technosorcery capability or not, is supposed to be able to be a greater threat than the guy who slaughtered half a Universe (who also has a background in being "superior" to a Human being a Titan and then being able to wield the Infinity Gauntlet). Otherwise, it'll come to a point where it's like Independance Day, where you hack and upload a "human" computer virus to a Biomechanical Mothership with an Apple Laptop. Whilst it's OK in that respect somewhat, it'll start to glare when a Human with no capability to be that big a threat, now presents themselves as one.

If I were in the MCU, I'd fast track Galactus into the next phase, have them become the next major threat for everyone. Have the Fantastic Four have their Solo origin film the year before the big crossover with a small cameo by Doom which shows their entry into their "suit" from a situation caused by the FF, and then on the year of the crossover, have one more film but have Doom be a hero to his people by stopping a Herald over his land after a difficult struggle, possible needing a further sacrifice from him (and his people who loves him) showing how weak he really is in comparison. But after the crossover and Galactus is stopped (for now), the part of the computer core of Taa II falls from orbit and lands in Latveria after taking a battering from numerous heroes, where it continues its job to serve and grants its user - Doom, the mysteries of the Cosmos. Increasing his standing as a threat through his knowledge gained from Galactus' computer, whilst still remaining Human.

THEN, I think in the phase after that, can you truly have Doom as a GREAT villain. As both a Human who is flawed in the first place (egocentric), whilst given the knowledge of a God. Which gives them the believability of being able to outthink everyone and from their gained knowledge, be a greater threat than even possibly Thanos, whilst still being Human and flawed. Which can then be explored as necessary in required Disney+ series or movies.

That's just my thoughts on the matter. :)

Man of Honour
Just got back in.
Loved it. About as good an ending as could have been expected. Not perfect, but pretty much as expected.

Also, I miss intermissions. This is a film that really could have needed one. Would have been nice to get a cold refill too instead of the lukewarm drink I had left. Other half popped out as she couldn't hold it just before the big fight. I could, but post when the plain credits started rolling, popped out and back again for the end little egg.

I am wondering that with Phase 3 just about complete (Really, this should have been the end of phase 3) and how it went, will people turn out for Phase 4 as much as they have for the original films? I'm not sure.

Caporegime
I often find movies with great anticipation are better the second time as you can relax in to them easier.

The second time I get to appreciate how they wrote and direct the movie to encompasses a LOT of things.

1 - it really does wrap up all 22 movies VERY well. This alone is no mean feat.

2 - it is a love letter to all those movies that came before it, especially for the original 6 characters. Therefore it has a ton of fan service for all those that came along for the journey.

3 - it manages to do this by having it in a story that make sense and reinvent(or twist) ab existing idea others have used in the past as it’s own.

4 - pacing is actually pretty good for what it tries to do and it’s running time.

5 - it still manages plenty of humour throughout, even in the darkest moments.

6 - it never forgot what it is about, beyond all the CGI and all the superhero stuff, it remembers that it is the bond between each other, the basic human emotions that gets you in the end, it did not forget that.

I can’t wait for the ultimate 4K boxset from Iron Man all the way up to Endgame (or Far from home) it’ll probably be like £300 but I’ll get it.

Soldato
Did anyone (like Nebula) know that one of them would have to die to retrieve the soul stone? Because if they did, and they knowingly sent them to their deaths, that's a bit messed up.
That's exactly my question from a previous comment.

I assume nobody on that team, not even Nebula knew the soul stone's requirements so it was pure luck that BW and Hawkeye ended up going there. Didn't Thanos in IW not even know what it required until he got there? Could have easily been someone else who died if the teams were done differently - although Thor would have always been on the team to Asgard, and Cap/Hulk/IM would always be on the one to new york for obvious reasons.

It is a weird one, almost contrived for having maximum emotional impact for those characters.

Woman of Honour
Man of Honour
Briefly, Thor’s love interest who was in Asguard where they took the Ether. Rocket was in the main shot with her in

Thank you!

Well unlike most, I didn’t have the luxury of seeing the film on my own and watched it at a baby club screening so was rather distracted. I often don’t remember films as it is anyway.

How utterly dreadful of me to ask questions about a film in the discussion thread! :o

BB x

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom